Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Audi Q7 Towing

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2020, 07:36 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

I have been towing with a 2018 w/o air for two years with no issues. Our trailer when loaded is around 4200lb or so with about 530-630 on the tongue depending on whether I have filled water or not. Never felt need for away bars and haven't had any issues with control.
as for receiver I had a regular one that I drilled another hole to get the ball closer to the hitch, now distance from top of the ball to pin is about 8.5".
I wouldn't worry about trying to get the trailer perfectly level.

The following users liked this post:
calculi (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 10:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Agree that some sort of sway controller is a good thing. Number 1 priority, though, is enough tongue weight. See this simple demo, and there are many other similar ones you can view with a simple search:
ecbc1: if you are feeling sway that require braking to gain control, you might want to be sure that your weights are correct. That seems like a big trailer to only have ~500# of tongue weight, so part of your issue might in fact be that your tongue is too light. You could try to figure it out by going to a truck weigh station, or also just test by loading more of your things near the front (and limit loading cargo behind the trailer axles) the next time you go out and see if it improves handling.
The following users liked this post:
calculi (08-18-2020)
Old 08-18-2020, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
Agree that some sort of sway controller is a good thing. Number 1 priority, though, is enough tongue weight. See this simple demo, and there are many other similar ones you can view with a simple search: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fkOVHAC8Q
ecbc1: if you are feeling sway that require braking to gain control, you might want to be sure that your weights are correct. That seems like a big trailer to only have ~500# of tongue weight, so part of your issue might in fact be that your tongue is too light. You could try to figure it out by going to a truck weigh station, or also just test by loading more of your things near the front (and limit loading cargo behind the trailer axles) the next time you go out and see if it improves handling.

Yep, I'm fully aware of controlling sway and proper loading and the 10-15% tongue rule. I don't have a sway problem and prob don't need a sway controller nowadays. But I still have it just in case.

The OP is new at towing his RV which is why he's asking questions.

My opinion to him is get a sway controller and its one less thing for him to worry about. And also keep in mind proper loading. But a sway controller is not 100% fool proof

The following 2 users liked this post by ecbc1:
calculi (08-18-2020), clars (04-25-2024)
Old 08-18-2020, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ecbc1
The Air bags I used was Air Lift 1000 kit 60901, it was a simple install by myself. Q7 spring is 8 x 3.5 but with the inside spring bumper insert it’s actually 7.75x3.5 so it was a good fit, I just needed to add a top plastic protector to protect the airbag from some sharp edges at the top of Q7 spring assembly. I also ran the air line to the back by the tow hitch. I don’t have my numbers in front of me but I think it added about 1/2 in height and with 500# tongue weight it went down by 1in so overall there was only a 1/2 in sag from original height. Below is what it is, u see a sharp pointed plastic at the top.
What did you use to protect to the top of the airbags?
Are you happy with model number 60901?

I am going the friction sway approach but want to keep the sagging to a minimum with my standard suspension.

I am picking up a Lance 1685 next week.

I appreciate the detail in your original post!

-Michael

Old 08-19-2020, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

The 60901 works for me. I was curious if the 60902 would work to totally eliminate the sag (its 1" longer) but never tried it. My airbag when inflated to 30psi increases my height by 1/2" and then when I put my RV on it with 500#, it goes down by about 1" so the net sag loss is about 1/2". U need to inflate the airbag first before putting the RV on it.

The only issue I have with it is the air leakage. Mine does leak a couple of psi each day for me, and I think that's because I didn't install one of the clamps properly. On my first air bag install, i failed to use the small clamp on the hose which connects to the airbag. In my excitement of getting it into the springs, I missed that step but clamped all the other connection points. I had put the line on already and it was way too tight to pull it off. I'll go back and do that when I have time. My RV TPMS sensor had extra sensors so I added it to the valve to monitor it. I've never seen it deflate while towing, it seems to lose air when only when vehicle is stationary overnight.

The protector at top- I experimented with different materials including hockey pucks. You need to find something that will support thousands of lbs without breaking. I ended up picking up the the 60904 kit which includes two kinds of 3.5" wide rubber protector. One kind had a small center hole and I just using that. Q7 springs are 3.5" wide but if u buy a 3.5" kit, I don't think u can fit the 3.5" airbag in. I did contact air lift support and they sent me some protectors but the center hole was too big.

Air line- the Q7 has holes in the bottom of the spring which I routed the airline thru there and to the tow hitch, u have to be careful not to get it near the exhaust system otherwise you'll melt the air lines. No drilling required, just twist ties to secure the air line to the vehicle.

airbag Installation- Jack the car up, remove the tire, deflate and squeeze the airbag until its flat as possible, and insert between springs. Route air line thru bottom of hole at bottom of spring.

Airlift also sells an auto inflation kit, I never got one because I would have to figure out how to get power to kit and route wiring to the back fuse box. I just manually inflate when I need it. If I have time, I may get one after I figure out how to power it.

I hope that's enough detail for u.

g/l

Last edited by ecbc1; 08-19-2020 at 06:37 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ecbc1:
calculi (08-19-2020), mbs (08-19-2020)
Old 08-19-2020, 06:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

If you don't mind, please repeat the installation process with a professional video crew on-site. (jk

To confirm, you ended up picking up 2 kits, 60901 for the main parts and 60904 for the rubber protectors?
I'll pass on the self inflators as well.

Once again, thank you for the detail!
Old 08-19-2020, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by calculi
If you don't mind, please repeat the installation process with a professional video crew on-site. (jk

To confirm, you ended up picking up 2 kits, 60901 for the main parts and 60904 for the rubber protectors?
I'll pass on the self inflators as well.

Once again, thank you for the detail!
Yep, I got two kits, second one for the 3.5" rubber protectors. I couldn't be bothered with figuring out how to create my own.
I think I spent more time on routing and strapping down the air lines then getting the air bags thru the spring. U just need a little push to get them thru the springs.

g/l
Old 08-19-2020, 07:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ecbc1
Yep, I got two kits, second one for the 3.5" rubber protectors. I couldn't be bothered with figuring out how to create my own.
I think I spent more time on routing and strapping down the air lines then getting the air bags thru the spring. U just need a little push to get them thru the springs.
Perfect, thank you again!
Old 08-19-2020, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Would this work as a protector? Not sure if 4" dia is too wide.... That way he can buy 1 kit + the protector.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...RoCnWkQAvD_BwE
Old 08-19-2020, 10:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by AlbertQ7
Would this work as a protector? Not sure if 4" dia is too wide.... That way he can buy 1 kit + the protector.
https://www.etrailer.com/Accessories...RoCnWkQAvD_BwE
4" would be too wide, Q7 springs are 3.5"

Maybe u can trim it?? It doesn't have to be perfect, u just need the protector to able to handle the sharp plastic piece on the Q7

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi Q7 Towing