Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 Audi Q7 Towing

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2024, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ncnmra
Does the warning self clear once you're not towing anymore? Not sure why that would have anything to do with airbags......?
I only get the warning when towing, so I think it resets when I am not towing. I think it's automatic that it deactivates when towing:

Audi pre sense rearŽ is active in the background across the car's entire driving speed range with the exception of trailer towing situations.
https://www.audi-mediacenter.com/en/...e-systems-7184
Old 04-10-2024, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by MoInEd
Whenever I tow I get the presense warning but I wasn't sure if it has anything to do with the airbags installed.
If I was going to start over again I'd get the 60905 kit (3.5"x8.75"). I don't think if it matters where the spacer goes (top/bottom).
60905 states that it's 3.5" x 9", would that fit?
60902 is 3" x 9"

https://www.airliftcompany.com/works...air-spring-kit
Old 04-10-2024, 12:08 PM
AudiWorld Member

60905 states that it's 3.5" x 9", would that fit?
60902 is 3" x 9"

https://www.airliftcompany.com/works...air-spring-kit
I have 60904 which is 3.5x7.75 but I had to add more than 2" of spacer. So 60905 would be a better choice.
The following users liked this post:
ncnmra (04-10-2024)
Old 04-13-2024, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MoInEd
I have 60904 which is 3.5x7.75 but I had to add more than 2" of spacer. So 60905 would be a better choice.
Is anyone having success with the 60905 bags? 3.5” should provide more force/resistance than 3” based on the hydraulic cylinder math I recall.
Old 04-22-2024, 12:31 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hello everyone I'm new in the forum and also brought here by the topic of my Q7 sagging when towing. Read the whole thread and wanted to ask a couple of questions.

Did anyone figure out what's the lenght of the pointy thing in the top?
Do all of the suggested spacers are deep enough (or have the enough height to cover and protect the bags)?
What's the purpose of that thing?
Can you shave it, remove it or do something to it so it doesn't compromise the bags?

In other news, did anybody tried the 60905 kit yet?. I'm leaning towards that since its higher than the springs, so you can inflate that one, let it go higher and hopefully when sitting after the weight added, would end up at the correct pre-weight height?

Thanks!
Old 04-22-2024, 05:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Don't know what that sharp thing is but the spacer I have put protects the bag.
i would definitely go with 60905 kit knowing what I know now.
Old 04-23-2024, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by garyst1981
Hello everyone I'm new in the forum and also brought here by the topic of my Q7 sagging when towing. Read the whole thread and wanted to ask a couple of questions.

Did anyone figure out what's the lenght of the pointy thing in the top?
Do all of the suggested spacers are deep enough (or have the enough height to cover and protect the bags)?
What's the purpose of that thing?
Can you shave it, remove it or do something to it so it doesn't compromise the bags?

In other news, did anybody tried the 60905 kit yet?. I'm leaning towards that since its higher than the springs, so you can inflate that one, let it go higher and hopefully when sitting after the weight added, would end up at the correct pre-weight height?

Thanks!
I'm likely going to be in this boat (pun intended) within the next month or two. My boat is currently in storage and I usually pull it out around June. I will see how my Q7 handles it, but given that the last two Ford Explorers and my Aviator needed the bags, I see the 60905 kit in my future.

I suppose it will be obvious when I get in there, but did you guys run the air lines from below, or from above? Squeezing the bags into the springs has not been my favorite passtime, but overall it's not a super hard job.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm likely going to be in this boat (pun intended) within the next month or two. My boat is currently in storage and I usually pull it out around June. I will see how my Q7 handles it, but given that the last two Ford Explorers and my Aviator needed the bags, I see the 60905 kit in my future.

I suppose it will be obvious when I get in there, but did you guys run the air lines from below, or from above? Squeezing the bags into the springs has not been my favorite passtime, but overall it's not a super hard job.
We installed H&R 1" lift spring and run the Andersen WDH hitch. Our basecamp is 2700lbs dry (3,200 loaded and water tank full) with 440lb tongue weight. We did about 40k km with the same set up and trailer with our previous Q5 and now 2 years with the Q7 and its been fantastic.

Old 04-24-2024, 02:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Das Ponto
We installed H&R 1" lift spring and run the Andersen WDH hitch. Our basecamp is 2700lbs dry (3,200 loaded and water tank full) with 440lb tongue weight. We did about 40k km with the same set up and trailer with our previous Q5 and now 2 years with the Q7 and its been fantastic.
I regret to inform you that Audi specifically contraindicates the use of any WDH hitches. It could cause the hitch to disconnect with the trailer and everything and cause a big accident. The manual specifically calls it out. I used one for 2 trips, I'll discontinue the use. I learned for this time in another post in this forum when I was looking to fix my sagging. I didn't really wanted to believe it and went and confirmed in my manual. The guy here that mentioned was talking about an SQ5 or Q5 and I was thinking, maybe doesn't apply to a Q7. But sadly it does. So now I'm looking to electronic means to prevent sway.

Anybody wants to buy a WDH? (just half kidding :P )
Old 04-25-2024, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by garyst1981
I regret to inform you that Audi specifically contraindicates the use of any WDH hitches. It could cause the hitch to disconnect with the trailer and everything and cause a big accident. The manual specifically calls it out. I used one for 2 trips, I'll discontinue the use. I learned for this time in another post in this forum when I was looking to fix my sagging. I didn't really wanted to believe it and went and confirmed in my manual. The guy here that mentioned was talking about an SQ5 or Q5 and I was thinking, maybe doesn't apply to a Q7. But sadly it does. So now I'm looking to electronic means to prevent sway.

Anybody wants to buy a WDH? (just half kidding :P )
Oh I know about what Audi says in the manual and was expecting someone to come in and pipe up that it says that because its a Unibody car. Funny part is majority of Euro unibody SUV's all say not to use it, yet all the NA unibody's indicate it is fine. Part of it is simply the fact they just don't test for them because of Euro regulations do not allow any WDH if I am not mistaken.

The original big concern of unibody cars and WDH is separation of the bumper from the body correct... which happened in the 80s all the time with unibody cars and bumpers that were mounted by 4 bolts. Todays unibodies are built very different and much stronger, the OEM hitch integrated with the crash bar and main structure of the vehicle. In the last 5 years of towing with Audis and endless research I only came across one Q5 that had an issue and it was towing right at its max capacity with a standard WDH. Our Q5 went 3 years with no issues and regular checks, it does help that our WDH isn't a standard tension bar, and far less aggressive for sure (it doesn't exponentially increase forces through dips like standard ones). Bump up to the Q7 where we are under 50% of the towing capacity and our WDH is more of an additional feature to smooth out towing, I really am not that concerned.

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi Q7 Towing