Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 3.0T Engine Issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2023, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by j_berman
Just got a quote for REPAIRS from my dealer for my 2018 Q7 with 79,000 miles on it. Immaculately kept.: $30,000 (yes, that's what they said) for piston and ring replacement after finding excessive oil consumption. Audi is kicking in some but not enough. Beware.
Guess I need to get mine identified/diagnosed before my bumper-to-bumper warranty ends. How did they confirm you had major consumption? Did you have to pay them to open up the motor? I think I'm at 1qt/1700mi right now.
Old 09-13-2023, 12:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 333 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyEights
Guess I need to get mine identified/diagnosed before my bumper-to-bumper warranty ends. How did they confirm you had major consumption? Did you have to pay them to open up the motor? I think I'm at 1qt/1700mi right now.
What's your current mileage? They don't have to open the motor for this kind of diagnosis as far as I know. They will make you pay for an oil consumption test that they will perform and the results will determine whether or not you need an engine rebuild or replacement. I think if they find that your car is consuming less than 1qt/1000 miles, they would rule it to be a non-issue. Unfortunately, the issue worsens as the miles get added so you will eventually get to this point but you would be out of warranty by then and will have to pay yourself for the super expensive repair.
The following users liked this post:
CrazyEights (09-13-2023)
Old 09-13-2023, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
What's your current mileage? They don't have to open the motor for this kind of diagnosis as far as I know. They will make you pay for an oil consumption test that they will perform and the results will determine whether or not you need an engine rebuild or replacement. I think if they find that your car is consuming less than 1qt/1000 miles, they would rule it to be a non-issue. Unfortunately, the issue worsens as the miles get added so you will eventually get to this point but you would be out of warranty by then and will have to pay yourself for the super expensive repair.
79k I believe. But I have an aftermarket extended warranty that covers me for another 30k miles. So I hope it gets bad enough by then to get them to cosign that there's high consumption. Or that the consumption doesn't get any worse than it already is. Either way I guess I've got 30k miles to see what happens. Thanks for the feedback. I'll ask my local dealer about the oil consumption test.
Old 09-13-2023, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 333 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by CrazyEights
79k I believe. But I have an aftermarket extended warranty that covers me for another 30k miles. So I hope it gets bad enough by then to get them to cosign that there's high consumption. Or that the consumption doesn't get any worse than it already is. Either way I guess I've got 30k miles to see what happens. Thanks for the feedback. I'll ask my local dealer about the oil consumption test.
You are welcome. As for the extended warranty, I have seen many owners with the same issue report that they've been told that the extended warranty does not cover the engine repair in this case so I'd suggest you ask your local dealer what your extended warranty covers as well.
Old 09-14-2023, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tom,

Any updates on the repair? Would you be willing to share how your conversation went with the AoA/dealership? I'm experiencing pretty much the same thing and really do not want to pay for a new motor out of pocket. This is what the shop diagnosed and advised I need a new motor. Thanks in advance!

- Ray

Old 02-01-2024, 09:03 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by thamlyn;[url=tel:25818043
25818043]I have a 2018 Q7 3.0T Prestige with about 53K miles. A few weeks ago, I was driving on the interstate when my car shuttered and received the drive system malfunction error. I had it towed in to the dealer and they pulled three error codes for a cylinder 4 misfire, hide cylinder, and misfire during fuel injection. Because they also found fuel residue on the spark plug, they recommended I replace the fuel injectors.

I approved the new fuel injectors and they cleared the error codes. However the engine continued to have issues. The misfires returned. The cleared the code several times to see if it was just due to loss of pressure in the system due to the fuel injector replacement. They checked the compression on cylinder 4 and it is at 3 BAR when it should be at 10 BAR or above. They used a borescope on cylinder 4 and there is no noticeable damage.

At this point, they are presenting two options that I'm awaiting formal estimates on.
1. Tear down the engine to further diagnose the problem. Roughly estimated to "a few grand" but it's not uncommon for an ECRC motor (what's that?) to fail leading to a full engine replacement.
2. Engine replacement.

2 videos from the technician are here if you want to hear his description directly.

The technician and service advisor say it's not uncommon for engines to fail but I'm shocked that I'm having this severe of engine issues for a 4.5-yr old vehicle with a moderate number of miles.

Since I'm just outside of warranty, any thoughts or recommendations? Anyone else have similar issues?

Thank you in advance!
-Tom
This issue seems strangely familiar to what I encountered in 2021 after having my water pump repaired under warranty. One evening, after I parked my car at home, I noticed that the engine was running quite rough. Since I had a VW specific diagnostic tool, I decided to use it and it gave me the error code P0304. I ended up trading in the car a week later, with only one month remaining on the factory warranty. Before doing so, I did some research and found out that fixing this issue could be very expensive.

I wish you the best and hope that your problem gets resolved, but after dealing with a faulty water pump, a broken down pipe bracket, and now a misfire, I didn't want to take any more chances. The car I had was a 2018 Audi Q7 with 33,000 miles on it.

On the side note, if you are in PA near Philly area, reach out to Eric’s German Car in Ambler, PA. The prices and service is excellent.

Last edited by Wrong_target; 02-01-2024 at 09:11 AM.
Old 02-08-2024, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've always believed that these longer oil change intervals are terrible for the health of the engine. I stick with 5k or 6 month intervals and use quality oils. I still have to add a quart or so, but my engine seems to be in good condition. Might be time for me to submit some oil to Blackstone for analysis. So far I have used, Ravenol, Redline, Motul, Amsoil, Schaeffers and now Total Quarts engine oil. I haven't found the holy grail to stop the oil burning unfortunately but I stay on top of the levels. I also added Liquimoly Cerratac.
Old 04-20-2024, 07:09 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Do these issues/problems also apply to the EA839 series of engines?
Old 04-20-2024, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Has anyone successfully upgraded their bottom end with the 034 upgrade kit? If so what improvements if any have you experienced and what was the total cost installed?

https://www.034motorsport.com/bottom...d-engines.html
Old 04-20-2024, 12:14 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
For people who are really concerned about this issue and are not here to defend Audi because they are biased, here is a new report: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/3-0.../#post25824466
You make a good point - after my Q7’s warranty expires in 2027, I’m leaving the Audi brand and going to BMW or Porsche. I don’t like the new styling inside and out, not to mention all the problems these cars are facing!