Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 3.0T Engine Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2023, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 333 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by GDawgA4
FWIW, I had a '06 S4 consumed 1 qt every 250 miles, which was every tank of gas. The '11 A4 I had started consuming excessive oil around 70k but the early EA888 2.0Ts were known for oil consumption and timing chain issues. I'm no stranger to oil consumption issues with Audi. Out of the three 3.0Ts I have/had, only the Q7 consumes a little bit (1/2 qt) between 5k oil change intervals. It has been since around 45k miles and currently at 89k miles. Every car manufacturer is going to have their issues (look at BMW M motors and how their rod bearings are essentially a maintenance item) and some people will have more issues than others, unfortunately. It is what it is. Am I concerned that the two 3.0Ts I have currently could have the same fate? Sure, it's a possibility it could happen but it doesn't keep me up at night or make me want to dump the cars. So, I'm not defending Audi but looking at it from a realistic POV.
You would be realistic if you could stop claiming this is an isolated issue without evidence. I really hope this won't happen to your two 3.0Ts. Good luck to you.
Old 06-21-2023, 10:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
You would be realistic if you could stop claiming this is an isolated issue without evidence. I really hope this won't happen to your two 3.0Ts. Good luck to you.
I never said it was an isolated issue. I said it's a small percentage of owners who are experiencing this. If this really has the volume of impacted motors like the EA888 2.0T oil consumption class action, I'm sure this would make for a class action suit as well. Good luck with your motor.
Old 06-21-2023, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by GDawgA4
I never said it was an isolated issue. I said it's a small percentage of owners who are experiencing this. If this really has the volume of impacted motors like the EA888 2.0T oil consumption class action, I'm sure this would make for a class action suit as well. Good luck with your motor.
Isolated and small percentage mean the same thing. Like I said, most people with this engine are still at low mileage. All people reporting this are above 80,000 miles with some exceptions below that so expect more people to come out and complain in the future. I am sorry to worry you but it is clear this generation of 3.0T will undergo the same fate as the 2.0T which is really a shame: lost compression, cracked pistons, cracked valves, cracked cylinder heads. I am getting rid of the car even if I have to sell it for really cheap and I am moving on but I will do my best to inform people which is why I am here.
Old 06-21-2023, 12:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,178 Likes on 920 Posts

Well a very very tiny bit of Audi owners are on these forums. To see so many of them report issues exactly like mine with testimony of several members having to either have the engine rebuilt or replaced, or parting ways with their cars very much contradicts you. Imagine how many people are affected in the real world. It is understandable that an engine may need a few components replaced here and there after 60,000 - 100,000 miles but is absolutely unacceptable to have to rebuild or replace the whole engine at that point.

This is not a catastrophic engine failure. It is simply an engine failure because of lost compression in cylinders causing oil consumption which increases gradually to the point where the engine just starts dying internally and needs to be rebuilt of replaced.

From what I've seen, this is not affecting most people who have a mileage below 60,000 miles. Oil consumption becomes a problem at that point and increases as the cylinders lose compression as the miles add on. People who mostly do city driving will see this happen sooner. You can defend this case as much as you want but the evidence is just overwhelming. The 3.0 TFSI CREC is still a somewhat new engine with most people still at low mileage. Expect more people to come out and report these issues as the years pass. I hope a lot of people will read these posts and stay away from these cars or change their mind if they were considering buying them second hand or keeping them past warranty.

And again not every body having these issues have the strength to come back and share their negative experience to warn people so a very tiny percentage of these stories are out there but here is another recent oil consumption issue likely caused by lost compression in cylinders leading to another possible engine replacement for you: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...ispreloading=1
I also don't believe in VAG 10K OCIs. you might have been better served by doing 5K mile OCIs. I will continue to over maintain my vehicles and sleep at night. I rest my case.
Old 06-21-2023, 12:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mhoran89
I also don't believe in VAG 10K OCIs. you might have been better served by doing 5K mile OCIs. I will continue to over maintain my vehicles and sleep at night. I rest my case.
5K OCI is better than 10K but I doubt that is enough. I have proceeded to oil and filter changes every 1K miles since I purchased the car but that did not prevent the issue from worsening and the engine from failing. Good luck to you.

My one advice to people with this engine is: DO NOT FLOOR IT until you get rid of it.
Old 06-22-2023, 11:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,178 Likes on 920 Posts

5K OCI is better than 10K but I doubt that is enough. I have proceeded to oil and filter changes every 1K miles since I purchased the car but that did not prevent the issue from worsening and the engine from failing. Good luck to you.

My one advice to people with this engine is: DO NOT FLOOR IT until you get rid of it.
I drove my last Q7 off the rev limiter every time I got in it. It was also tuned with software and was pushing nearly 90 more horses through the same hardware on 91 pump gas. Never had an issue, never had excessive oil consumption, and never stopped driving it hard. would routinely hit triple digit speeds with ease on long trips. each to their own. sorry you had such a crappy experience.
Old 06-22-2023, 11:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mhoran89
I drove my last Q7 off the rev limiter every time I got in it. It was also tuned with software and was pushing nearly 90 more horses through the same hardware on 91 pump gas. Never had an issue, never had excessive oil consumption, and never stopped driving it hard. would routinely hit triple digit speeds with ease on long trips. each to their own. sorry you had such a crappy experience.
The fact that you did not mention the probably low mileage and why you got rid of it says it all. Don't be sorry for me. I'm fine.
Old 06-22-2023, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

The fact that you did not mention the probably low mileage and why you got rid of it says it all. Don't be sorry for me. I'm fine.
I'm sorry you're so bitter and emotional over an unfortunate and statistically isolated issue. You've gone off the deep end to "all 3.0T's are junk/sell immediately and Audi can't make a reliable ICE". If that's not an irrational, illogical, and unsubstantiated guess, I don't know what is.

I hope you're enjoying your new Toyota Camry.
Old 06-22-2023, 11:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by keg97
I'm sorry you're so bitter and emotional over an unfortunate and statistically isolated issue. You've gone off the deep end to "all 3.0T's are junk/sell immediately and Audi can't make a reliable ICE". If that's not an irrational, illogical, and unsubstantiated guess, I don't know what is.

I hope you're enjoying your new Toyota Camry.
I am angry and disappointed but sure am neither bitter, nor emotional. I have probably been owning an Audi way before you newbies considered owning one and the extensive experience I have with Audis is not to be demonstrated. I have defended this brand more than you can imagine and have somehow advertised for them for a long time. Barely three weeks ago I still had three Audis in my home as you can see them lined up in my profile picture. My decision to part ways with the brand was thoroughly examined and I took what I think is the best decision for me in the long run.

I am currently doing great and have no regrets but I want people to know the truth. Every effort you make to mute me because you are a die hard fanboy will only make you look ridiculous and will make me put you back to where you belong, every time. This is not a forum to come worship the Audi brand. This is a forum for sharing knowledge and information and I will not let you intimidate anyone who has gone through a negative experience and is willing to share it.

What's irrational, illogical and unsubstantiated is you dismissing the many reports of people who are having the same issues, based on your very limited experience with this engine. May I ask what's your mileage again? Less than 60K probably, isn't it?

By the way if you did not know this, the 3.0T has two variants. I am complaining about the second variant, the 3.0 TFSI CREC aka EA837 Evo which is in our cars. The beginning of my video below will give you a clue. Maybe I should get technical for you to start understanding things since you probably don't know anything about your own engine. I teared mine down a couple dozen times and I know what's in there so please seat back and learn.

Old 06-23-2023, 03:10 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I'd say all of us do share our experiences and perspectives. But we don't make gigantic and often incorrect assumptions. We share information, approaches to issues, and ask for feedback. Nobody is attempting to "mute" or "intimate" you. You've shared your "truth". Perhaps your approach has garnered the reactions you've received for a reason. But a conclusion like that requires reflectiveness on your part that seems missing right now.

I'm no Audi fan boy but do very much appreciate the pros of our Q7 just like I can acknowledge the cons. Your Paul Revere like gallop through the forums is what it is and your sledgehammer approach has gotten push back for a multitude of reasons. Perhaps one day with a clear head and more joy driving your ______, if you happen to come back to your posts, you'll be able to recognize the emotion dripping from your posts.

I'm over 92K miles and have been APR tuned since 55K. The Audi has taken over travel soccer duties and will earn 30-40K miles/year for the next year or two that I plan on keeping it.
The following 2 users liked this post by keg97:
CottonMcKnight (06-23-2023), mhoran89 (04-23-2024)

Quick Reply: 2018 3.0T Engine Issues