Q7 MKII Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 MKII built from 2016 -

2018 3.0T Engine Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2023, 02:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 333 Likes on 282 Posts

Originally Posted by kelisko
Happened to me exactly like this. November 2022, was on a trip. I floored it to pass a car. After passing and slowing down a bit, I noticed that something was wrong. Power was gone. When I stopped the car, it was shaking like crazy. Cylinder 3 mainly and other cylinders were misfiring. Later it was mainly cylinder 4 being disabled and mainly cylinder 6 misfiring. Clearing codes did nothing. I did not have the option to tow so I drove it like that back home, about 100 miles. At higher RPMs it was not shaking so I kept the RPM above 3,000 to be able to drive it but it is drinking engine oil and fuel like a boat. Since then I have been replacing obvious components that could cause such a misfire in vain. Eventually I ruled it to be a damaged cylinder block as explained in the video below. I haven't performed a compression test yet. I purchased the tool but accessing the injectors main connectors on bank 2 is a pain. It is clear that some cylinders have lost compression. However it's unclear why this is happening. As explained in the video below, I first thought this is due to the newer cylinder and piston rings design. But I am at 150,000 miles and this is happening to other people as early as 35,000 miles. So I keep troubleshooting hoping there may be another culprit. This is happening to too many cars out there coupled with excessive oil consumption. Most of the time it ends up with a total engine replacement. Crazy! I have decided I am not going the engine replacement route because it is not an option for me. If I can't fix this car, I will toss it. If I find a fix, I will share it but I am keeping my hopes low. What's happening to the Audi brand?
Update: All six cylinders have lost compression and cylinder 6 has zero compression. Bank 2 cylinder head has cracked and cylinder 6 piston has a hole in it according to the mechanic. Details in video below.
FYI, the car was babied and was maintained according to the manufacturer recommendations at one single certified Audi dealership, always on time. Exterior and interior are in perfect condition. No abuse whatsoever. The car was consuming too much oil around 100,000 miles and it got worse as the miles added on. The PCV failed because I floored it at 147,000 miles. Replaced it. Cylinder 6 failed because I floored it at 148,000 miles. It turned out all cylinders compression are below spec. Get rid of these cars and move on to another brand.

When new spec: 160 - 200 psi
Wear limit spec: 145 psi
My cylinders, 1-6 (psi): 105, 110, 115, 115, 110, 0

The following users liked this post:
rmwanga (04-20-2024)
Old 06-20-2023, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,178 Likes on 920 Posts

Update: All six cylinders have lost compression and cylinder 6 has zero compression. Bank 2 cylinder head has cracked and cylinder 6 piston has a hole in it according to the mechanic. Details in video below.
FYI, the car was babied and was maintained according to the manufacturer recommendations at one single certified Audi dealership, always on time. Exterior and interior are in perfect condition. No abuse whatsoever. The car was consuming too much oil around 100,000 miles and it got worse as the miles added on. The PCV failed because I floored it at 147,000 miles. Replaced it. Cylinder 6 failed because I floored it at 148,000 miles. It turned out all cylinders compression are below spec. Get rid of these cars and move on to another brand.

When new spec: 160 - 200 psi
Wear limit spec: 145 psi
My cylinders, 1-6 (psi): 105, 110, 115, 115, 110, 0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tDc-pXukguU
I am sorry but your experience is a tiny tiny percentage of what is actually happening with these vehicles. there are plenty of them well past 100K who are barely consuming alarming amounts of oil. I really don't know of anyone with a cracked cylinder head, a hole in a piston, and all 6 cylinders not holding compression. I guarantee I drove my last tuned Q7 harder than you and never had an issue. I change the oil every 5K, I change the engine air filter every 35-40K and this current one at 40K doesn't really burn a drop of oil.
Old 06-20-2023, 08:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by mhoran89
I am sorry but your experience is a tiny tiny percentage of what is actually happening with these vehicles. there are plenty of them well past 100K who are barely consuming alarming amounts of oil. I really don't know of anyone with a cracked cylinder head, a hole in a piston, and all 6 cylinders not holding compression. I guarantee I drove my last tuned Q7 harder than you and never had an issue. I change the oil every 5K, I change the engine air filter every 35-40K and this current one at 40K doesn't really burn a drop of oil.
Did you read the post quoted below? It's right up there in this very thread.

Originally Posted by GDawgA4
My friend has seen 4 3.0Ts over the past year come through his shop for this exact issue. Car runs rough, misfires and found that cylinder 4 had no compression. All stock. Based on feedback from the customers, they were on a drive cruising along then went to pass someone when the issue happened. He suspects the stock software may be running too lean conditions (and maybe together with poor quality fuel from the last fill up) and over time, cyl 4 is the unlucky one. One customer was able to get CPO to cover a replacement engine but the others just got rid of their cars.
And what are you basing your "TINY" assumption on? Many owners seem to report otherwise. Check the threads below and there are many more threads like these not to mention this very one.
2018 Audi A6 3.0T: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...n-3-0t-3021257
2017 Audi Q7 3.0T: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...-year-3024173/
2017 Audi Q7 3.0T: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...ption-2955124/
2017 Audi Q7 3.0T: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...-plus-3037451/
2018 Audi S5 3.0T: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ormal-3036961/
Old 06-20-2023, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 104 Likes on 87 Posts

I'm with mhoran89. While many of us have some oil burn that seems pronounced, it's been very rare to see a report here of a complete blown engine. It does stink for those who have had the engine issues though!

And I'll add, I sold my '17 Escalade ESV earlier this year b/c the continued reports of "Liftergate" (even on the new models) was so prevalent that it scared the you know what outta me. Sitting at 160K and even with the displacement module programmed off so it always ran in V8 mode, I wanted out. So I'm sensitive to engine issues and evaluating the risk associated with owning anything out of warranty.

Last edited by keg97; 06-20-2023 at 02:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2023, 05:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,178 Likes on 920 Posts

Did you read the post quoted below? It's right up there in this very thread.

And what are you basing your "TINY" assumption on? Many owners seem to report otherwise. Check the threads below and there are many more threads like these not to mention this very one.
2018 Audi A6 3.0T: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a6-...n-3-0t-3021257
2017 Audi Q7 3.0T: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...-year-3024173/
2017 Audi Q7 3.0T: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...ption-2955124/
2017 Audi Q7 3.0T: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...-plus-3037451/
2018 Audi S5 3.0T: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/aud...ormal-3036961/
more people on here complain and report issues than rave about their experiences with their cars. this is such a small percentage of the cars shipped with these engines it is not even funny. what happed to you sucks, and I would be pissed. other owners have a reason to be angry too. go look at the numbers of these cars sold compared to the NHSTA complaints of catastrophic engine failure and let me know.

This is the same thing as the rocker bearing failures on the B9 S4/S5/SQ5 engines with early production dates. only a few dozen cars maybe have failed with this symptom, but there are a few threads where people are in a panic and people are worried all early made 2018-2019 B9 3.0T engines are at risk. in general the cars are very reliable. I would be surprised if any of these VAG cars have more catastrophic engine failures than other manufacturers. a number of my buddies are still doing head gaskets or turbos regularly on ford cars that come in (they are dealer technicians).

look at the 4.0T turbo failures which is a 10K minimum job when the oil feed screens for the turbos before the oil check valves fail and clog up. while a few dozen folks have blown cars up with the screens clogging, many folks have not had any issues whatsoever. that is one of the most popular threads on audiworld that I started. the failures are much more common that these catastrophic ring, piston, and head failures you are describing.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ispreloading=1

I rest my case.

Originally Posted by keg97
I'm with mhoran89. While many of us have some oil burn that seems pronounced, it's been very rare to see a report here of a complete blown engine. It does stink for those who have had the engine issues though!

And I'll add, I sold my '17 Escalade ESV earlier this year b/c the continued reports of "Liftergate" (even on the new models) was so prevalent that it scared the you know what outta me. Sitting at 160K and even with the displacement module programmed off so it always ran in V8 mode, I wanted out. So I'm sensitive to engine issues and evaluating the risk associated with owning anything out of warranty.
thanks. I have sympathy for folks, however these issues seem to be few and far between.

Last edited by mhoran89; 06-21-2023 at 05:52 AM.
keg97 (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

more people on here complain and report issues than rave about their experiences with their cars. this is such a small percentage of the cars shipped with these engines it is not even funny. what happed to you sucks, and I would be pissed. other owners have a reason to be angry too. go look at the numbers of these cars sold compared to the NHSTA complaints of catastrophic engine failure and let me know.

This is the same thing as the rocker bearing failures on the B9 S4/S5/SQ5 engines with early production dates. only a few dozen cars maybe have failed with this symptom, but there are a few threads where people are in a panic and people are worried all early made 2018-2019 B9 3.0T engines are at risk. in general the cars are very reliable. I would be surprised if any of these VAG cars have more catastrophic engine failures than other manufacturers. a number of my buddies are still doing head gaskets or turbos regularly on ford cars that come in (they are dealer technicians).

look at the 4.0T turbo failures which is a 10K minimum job when the oil feed screens for the turbos before the oil check valves fail and clog up. while a few dozen folks have blown cars up with the screens clogging, many folks have not had any issues whatsoever. that is one of the most popular threads on audiworld that I started. the failures are much more common that these catastrophic ring, piston, and head failures you are describing.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/a8-...ispreloading=1

I rest my case.
Well a very very tiny bit of Audi owners are on these forums. To see so many of them report issues exactly like mine with testimony of several members having to either have the engine rebuilt or replaced, or parting ways with their cars very much contradicts you. Imagine how many people are affected in the real world. It is understandable that an engine may need a few components replaced here and there after 60,000 - 100,000 miles but is absolutely unacceptable to have to rebuild or replace the whole engine at that point.

This is not a catastrophic engine failure. It is simply an engine failure because of lost compression in cylinders causing oil consumption which increases gradually to the point where the engine just starts dying internally and needs to be rebuilt of replaced.

From what I've seen, this is not affecting most people who have a mileage below 60,000 miles. Oil consumption becomes a problem at that point and increases as the cylinders lose compression as the miles add on. People who mostly do city driving will see this happen sooner. You can defend this case as much as you want but the evidence is just overwhelming. The 3.0 TFSI CREC is still a somewhat new engine with most people still at low mileage. Expect more people to come out and report these issues as the years pass. I hope a lot of people will read these posts and stay away from these cars or change their mind if they were considering buying them second hand or keeping them past warranty.

And again not every body having these issues have the strength to come back and share their negative experience to warn people so a very tiny percentage of these stories are out there but here is another recent oil consumption issue likely caused by lost compression in cylinders leading to another possible engine replacement for you: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...ispreloading=1
rmwanga (04-20-2024)
Old 06-21-2023, 08:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

The 3.0 TFSI CREC is still a somewhat new engine with most people still at low mileage. Expect more people to come out and report these issues as the years pass. I hope a lot of people will read these posts and stay away from these cars or change their mind if they were considering buying them second hand or keeping them past warranty.
The CREC has been out for almost 10 years as the B8.5 S4/S5 in the EU switched to the CREC starting in 2014 and was phased into the other models ROW. NA did not get it until 2016 for the C7.5 A6/A7. So, there should be plenty of high mileage examples, more so across the pond. I will agree with mhoran that with the number of cars out there with the CREC over the last 10 years, what's been reported here is a very small percentage. People generally come onto the forums or FB groups to complain of issues, so it's no surprise to read of them here. It's also not a guarantee that what people are experiencing here will happen to them. There are a number of owners here that have over 100k without failures or excessive consumption.
mhoran89 (06-21-2023)
Old 06-21-2023, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

For people who are really concerned about this issue and are not here to defend Audi because they are biased, here is a new report: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/3-0.../#post25824466
Old 06-21-2023, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

And here is another one that I missed that was reported earlier this month: https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...tions-3056733/
Old 06-21-2023, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 128 Likes on 87 Posts

FWIW, I had a '06 S4 consumed 1 qt every 250 miles, which was every tank of gas. The '11 A4 I had started consuming excessive oil around 70k but the early EA888 2.0Ts were known for oil consumption and timing chain issues. I'm no stranger to oil consumption issues with Audi. Out of the three 3.0Ts I have/had, only the Q7 consumes a little bit (1/2 qt) between 5k oil change intervals. It has been since around 45k miles and currently at 89k miles. Every car manufacturer is going to have their issues (look at BMW M motors and how their rod bearings are essentially a maintenance item) and some people will have more issues than others, unfortunately. It is what it is. Am I concerned that the two 3.0Ts I have currently could have the same fate? Sure, it's a possibility it could happen but it doesn't keep me up at night or make me want to dump the cars. So, I'm not defending Audi but looking at it from a realistic POV.

Quick Reply: 2018 3.0T Engine Issues