Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

What mileage do you replace rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 05:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went to R1Concepts and ordered Posi Quiet Ceramic brakes, fronts are $126.00 USd and rears are $57.00 USd. I shoudl get them today and have them on Saturday. I opted not to change my front rotors, not much wear on them. I bought my sensors on Ebay for $9.00 USd each. Free shipping on all parts! Beats paying teh stealership $1000.00 to have my brakes changed.

here is the website

http://www.r1concepts.com/audi-q7-20...-105.09770.htm

it only shows front brakes but rears are available as well. R1Concepts seems to have the best prices from what I have researched. they have otehr brands available as well.

Wish me luck!

Happy Leap Day!
Old 02-29-2012, 08:40 AM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

R1 concepts is who I buy my brake components from as well...They did a nice job outfitting my SSR and now my Q7, got pads/rotors all around, went with the premium drilled/slotted rotors and if you call them you can get a better price than ordering online.

Great company to deal with.
Old 02-29-2012, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I went in to the local shop today to have my brakes replaced. I gave them Hawk pads and replacement sensors. I also had rotors but they said they could not remove the caliper due to the steel bolts had seized into the aluminium caliper, I only have 60k miles so i just had them replace the pads. Got the car back and the brake senor is still going off..... I am worried that they did not change the senors out and just threw the new ones away.

Any ideas?
Old 03-01-2012, 02:05 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Love and Hate relation w/Audi
I went in to the local shop today to have my brakes replaced. I gave them Hawk pads and replacement sensors. I also had rotors but they said they could not remove the caliper due to the steel bolts had seized into the aluminium caliper, I only have 60k miles so i just had them replace the pads. Got the car back and the brake senor is still going off..... I am worried that they did not change the senors out and just threw the new ones away.

Any ideas?
If all else fails you can snip the sensor cables near the sensors and twist the ends together to extinguish the light. You will not have pad wear sensors working from that point so you will need to visually inspect your pads from time to time.
Old 03-03-2012, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 24wheeler
I have seen plenty of rotors last up to 150,000 miles sensibly driven. I have also seen them ruined within 20,000 miles, not due to normal wear but mainly due to deep scarring because pads were used when completely worn out.
Correct. I am on my stock set from an 06/2006 build with 145,000 miles on them. Granted, I do a lot a highway driving but have changed the pads and sensors myself twice and both times the rotors measured within spec. I need to do them again (I get about 45k to 50k on a set of pads) and I will do the rotors this time.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 24wheeler
Rear ones warped! How did you manage that? Water crossing with hot brakes? Stopping from high speed and leaving your foot on the brake pedal creating an uneven heat-soak?

So the rear rotors were causing the rear brakes to pulse and vibrate the car during gentle braking. I've had them myself before now, usually on the front, and it is annoying when you can't make a smooth stop. Yours is the first I've heard of on a Q7, I must say.
when the rotors are very hot enough we can't even touch for a second and spraying water on those could cause our rotors warped Unless they are seramic. no? especially during the summer, I wash my car more than twice per week although it is not complete wash just using the form gun and rinsing them out. That's what I concluded the reason of the warping. Anyway, after having the new ones, feel good. no more dust!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:27 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I took the plunge and did it! I replaced all four axles brakes. rears were a pain getting that pin out but fronts were a breeze. I put on Posi Quiet Ceramic pads. I didnt replace rotors, maybe next brake change. Even though my BRAKE light came on around 19,5xx miles I went to 21,5xx miles before changing and could have gone another 2k miles on the fronts. back pads have a lot of meat on them but changed them none the less. total cost was right around $200.00 in parts. Saved myself $1000. sweet. Now what else can i get into? <evil grin>
Old 03-06-2012, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post

I have a 2007 Q7 3.6 Premium and I just did the rotors for the first time this past weekend, front and back and I had 100K miles on mine. Mind you I'm not an easy driver since I'm pretty aggressive with the old lady aka "Sheera v3.6" I call her. Replacing the rear rotors requires so skills and some 12-point tools so prepare carefully.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Based on several comments here, I'll be going with Hawk Ceramic in fairly short order. While the front rotors were already changed in the CPO process, the rear rotors look to have a lip on them. I've seen talk here about a 2mm wear max.....does anyone know the new thickness dimension for front and rear rotors so I can know where I'm at?

If the rear rotors have to be changed, I'm considering Centric's "High Carbon" model because they can be had right across the street from me for $110E front and $84E rear. This is just a bit less than the OE I can get, but have to add shipping. Has anyone tried these Centric rotors?

http://www.centricparts.com/index.ph...266&Itemid=246

They'll Cyro these same rotors, which would then cost $141E front and $118E rear. Does anyone have experience with the Cyro treatment on the Q7?

Swapping from one type of pad to another (e.g OE to ceramic) on the same rotor without a slight turning or at least scuffing is not something I'm comfortable with. For those of you changing pads only, what is your experience here?

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 09-04-2020, 07:56 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

If i'm looking at this correctly this forum has been quiet since 2012. Well I have a 2018 Q7 with 52k miles. Dealer states that we need new front brake pads and it is standard procedure to change rotors too. He contends that it is standard at all Audi dealers. I asked about rotor wear. They don't measure it because they replace them regardless of wear. Can this be right? I had them just replace the pads. He said he would do that "with and asterisk" . Still cost $800 for just the front pads.
The following users liked this post:
waldo1974 (10-19-2023)

Quick Reply: What mileage do you replace rotors?