Old 06-11-2023, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 892 Likes on 730 Posts

The sunroof drain is the usual suspect with this
Old 06-11-2023, 07:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Kc Taylor
I have this same problem my boy at the dealership told me its the sunroof drain. The Drain plug is located on the driver side removed the front wheel and the fender line. You can youtube it.
Yeah, the first time I did a drain flush, I found that both of my boots were missing, both sides that is. I could pour water in the drain and it flowed right out of those holes. That is when I discovered the A/C drain, and that was full, twice, but the tube run out seems ok.
I am going to go back and ram it with a brissels Home drain cleaner, see if I can find anything, because water draining on your good shoes sucks!
I'll probably go back through the roof drain also!
Old 06-11-2023, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 732 Likes on 606 Posts

Check out some video online regards to the servicing those front sunroof drain tubes; there's a juncture/connector piece up behind the A-pillar trim & airbag; not particularly difficult to access or check after you watch the video and discover where the hidden trim attachment screws and friction catches are located, etc. Really, it's the same issue as with the rear drains, and an easy fix once you've researched and understand how to gain access.

IMHO, Q7 owners should address ALL of the sunroof drains (front/rear sunroofs, both sides), ALL the HVAC condensate drains (front/rear), and both those pesky, plenum water drains located beneath the windshield. The plenum drains are the two pipes through firewall hidden by wheel-well liner you found were missing the factory installed, duck-bill style, one-way exit valves.

Failure to address all of these well documented problem areas is likely to result unnecessary break-down risk and the potential expense related to damaged control modules, stereo amps, ECU, wiper motor, etc., etc.
The following users liked this post:
jbgilbank (06-12-2023)
Old 06-13-2023, 02:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jbgilbank
Yeah, the first time I did a drain flush, I found that both of my boots were missing, both sides that is. I could pour water in the drain and it flowed right out of those holes. That is when I discovered the A/C drain, and that was full, twice, but the tube run out seems ok.
I am going to go back and ram it with a brissels Home drain cleaner, see if I can find anything, because water draining on your good shoes sucks!
I'll probably go back through the roof drain also!
yeah I know what you me my nice Sneakers be getting wet sometimes. Let me know if you fix the problem.
jbgilbank (06-20-2023)
Old 06-19-2023, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 732 Likes on 606 Posts

The thing about those front roof drains is you can send a cleaning line through them to ensure they aren't blocked internally, or at their endpoints, but that doesn't resolve where they typically leak from, which is at the connector/junction point of two tubing sections, etc. Once you look up the video on those you'll understand.

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 06-19-2023 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-03-2023, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Update

So I think I fix my problems after I replace the cobin air filter
jbgilbank (07-04-2023)
Old 07-04-2023, 06:22 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I am scheduled for a change myself, with next oil change, which is soon!
Old 07-04-2023, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 252 Likes on 212 Posts

I have never seen this mentioned as a cause but it certainly is possible. Too much restriction through the air filter could cause a negative pressure inside the evaporator compartment which might not allow water to flow out while the fan is running on higher speeds . This would explain why some vehicles only drip during a long drive in hot conditions. It would take time for water to build up after it drains when HVAC fan is off or running at lower speeds.

Last edited by J. Patterson; 07-04-2023 at 08:17 AM.
Old 07-05-2023, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
I have never seen this mentioned as a cause but it certainly is possible. Too much restriction through the air filter could cause a negative pressure inside the evaporator compartment which might not allow water to flow out while the fan is running on higher speeds . This would explain why some vehicles only drip during a long drive in hot conditions. It would take time for water to build up after it drains when HVAC fan is off or running at lower speeds.
Possible.
During a heavy downpour yesterday, I watch both my front drains functioning perfectly! Looked like a fire hose!