Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Water in footwells

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2023, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 59 Likes on 50 Posts
Default Water in footwells

Ok, I have been down this road before.
While traveling this weekend, zero rain, actually 80 degrees and sunny, so I had to run the A/C constantly. I made a little harder curve to the left and water ran all down into my shoe/foot/foot-well, both onto the floor mat and under. After a bit, I made a hard curve to the right and the other side flooded. So I tried to be easy until I got home. I do check the drains often due to this happening before.
This morning, I pulled the A/C drain in the passengers foot-well where the cabin filter is and drained about a pint of water out. I ran a cable through the drain tube all the way to the ground behind the front wheel and zero clogs. (NOTE: I bought this car with 37,000 miles on her and the first time I had this issue over 100,000 miles and went to drain the boots below, behind the front wheels in the frame, the boots were both missing, leaving open holes, so nothing could get blocked or backed up there)
I also cleaned the sunroof drains as far as I can reach. I need a little better wire or string from a weed-whacker to push through it.
I reached up under the dash, above the gas pedal to see if it felt wet and when I touched behind the metal plate in the top of the image where the cable runs behind and I burned my fingers, IT WAS HOT! That is the area where the water seemed to come from.
What is behind there and is it supposed to be that flippin hot?
Is there another drain somewhere that I am missing? Since the water came out both sides of the console. I want to make sure I get everything flowing well so I do not have this situation again.

Thank you in advance..

Last edited by jbgilbank; 05-31-2023 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 05:02 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 252 Likes on 212 Posts

I have “roto rootered” that AC condensation drain at least twice over the past 4 or 5 years when ours would drip water when turning. Usually after a long drive with AC running. I have never seen the outlet end of that drain hose but there seems to be a bit of resistance at the end when pushing a piece of weed trimmer line thru from the inside. I have wondered if there might be a one way ( duck bill) drain valve there that can stick shut.
Old 06-01-2023, 05:12 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by J. Patterson
I have “roto rootered” that AC condensation drain at least twice over the past 4 or 5 years when ours would drip water when turning. Usually after a long drive with AC running. I have never seen the outlet end of that drain hose but there seems to be a bit of resistance at the end when pushing a piece of weed trimmer line thru from the inside. I have wondered if there might be a one way ( duck bill) drain valve there that can stick shut.
Near as I can tell, my cable came through the drain and into the frame, where the sunroof drains dump, then there should be a duckbill valves protruding from the frame on each side, front wheel-well, but my duckbill rubber valves were missing. The cable came out from the hole where these would be.
So all drains dump into the frame, then they drain out from there.
Is there a drain on the drivers side for A/C?
And why would that metal plate be so stinking hot? It burned my fingers! Youch!
Old 06-01-2023, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

There’s a turbo and catalyst on the other side of that firewall. Assume that’s the heat source.
Old 06-01-2023, 02:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

There’s a turbo and catalyst on the other side of that firewall. Assume that’s the heat source.
That is the console, not firewall and I also have supercharger, not turbo.
Wondering where the condenser is located or if this is the receiver/computer? Can't be good having water pouring from right around it either way!
Old 06-01-2023, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Forgot yours is gasoline 3.0. Not sure where hot spot you touched is. Near heater core?
Old 06-02-2023, 05:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Forgot yours is gasoline 3.0. Not sure where hot spot you touched is. Near heater core?
Driver side above the gas pedal, under the dash, in the console.
The cable is from the throttle responder I added at purchase.
Old 06-08-2023, 10:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I have gone through all drains and everything appears to be flowing fine.
I will check back in every few weeks to discover how the A/C drain looks.
Old 06-08-2023, 08:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 732 Likes on 606 Posts

The GPS/storage drive unit gets really hot in the console area. It wasn't clear where you reached your hand from the footwell area, but if you went up into the console area, you most likely touched the disk drive unit for the infotainment system, which gets pretty hot. I believe it has a vent fan. Check trouble codes for random stuff; intermittent codes, etc.

As to the HVAC drains (front & rear; on opposite sides of car), all you need to do is eyeball the drip patterns that form beneath the car anytime you stop with it running. Easy to do quick observation in the driveway or a parking lot to ensure both of the HVAC condenser drains are dripping steadily. If those seem to streaming fine, and you still take on water again, then you need to remove the front HVAC drain pipe and put a bottle brush or similar up into the condenser, work it around a bit and see if there is some kind of blockage occurring inside the condenser housing or drain.

The following users liked this post:
jbgilbank (06-09-2023)
Old 06-11-2023, 02:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have this same problem my boy at the dealership told me its the sunroof drain. The Drain plug is located on the driver side removed the front wheel and the fender line. You can youtube it.

Quick Reply: Water in footwells