Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2014, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TPMS MALFUNCTION

getting tpms malfunction NOT low pressure warning. Do i have to buy sensors
1.from where
2.cost
3.can any tire shop do it (need vag or not)
4. Have to replace 1 or all ( how do i know)
Old 04-27-2014, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Need to know what year your Q7 is.
Old 04-27-2014, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

i just got the same problem about 4 days ago while driving. i have a 07 q7 s-line.
Old 04-28-2014, 03:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

It is Audi 2008 Q7 3.6 premium
Old 04-28-2014, 06:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

This is by no means the only possible issue, but assuming you are both still running your stock wheels, you could be looking at dead and/or dying batteries in the sensors that are mounted in your wheels. Tire rack and others sell replacements. but you'll have to have a tire shop remove your tires from the wheels to swap the sensors out, then remount and balance the tires. Maybe Audi would help... I'm not sure how they would treat the failure of a safety item out of warranty. It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask.
Old 04-28-2014, 09:48 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

is it true if you buy replacements its not as simple as removing tires and installing new ones. but they have to be programmed too?
Old 04-28-2014, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I believe your MMI should have a menu option to signal that you've change wheels. If I recall correctly, it is right next to where you tell it to re-learn the tire pressures. Normally, that's all you would need to do.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Me it was the antenna 2007 Q7 premium 4.2

Recenlty I got an issue with TPMS my local garage use a tester near the wheels and told me sensors are all good. VCDS something related to the antenna. Got a used antenna on ebay for 40$, same part as A6... Just replaced and works fine. The antenna is on right side under the car and under the long black trim you need to remove.
Old 04-28-2014, 06:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by va-terps4
This is by no means the only possible issue, but assuming you are both still running your stock wheels, you could be looking at dead and/or dying batteries in the sensors that are mounted in your wheels. Tire rack and others sell replacements. but you'll have to have a tire shop remove your tires from the wheels to swap the sensors out, then remount and balance the tires. Maybe Audi would help... I'm not sure how they would treat the failure of a safety item out of warranty. It certainly wouldn't hurt to ask.
If it's the batteries, Audi considers this a replaceable wear item and would not be covered beyond the manf. warranty. This is the primary reason Audi (and most manufacturers) have switched to a passive TPMS system on most of their models - no batteries or sensors are necessary.
Old 11-19-2019, 12:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by audiblack73
getting tpms malfunction NOT low pressure warning. Do i have to buy sensors

1.from where

2.cost

3.can any tire shop do it (need vag or not)

4. Have to replace 1 or all ( how do i know)

I am getting a TPMS malfunction message. I am new to Audi and purchased a 2012 Q7 TDI prestige last week.

The dealer I purchased from does not work with Audi and would not look at the issue. No big deal as it seems to be the only issue this vehicle has and it was a great deal.

I seem to be getting two different lines of information now. I assumed the batteries were dying in the sensors, as I have had this issue in the past on other vehicles. When I look up parts information from Audi vendors they list TPMS sensors for the wheels. But when I just took the vehicle to a local tire store. They went to read the sensors to see if the batteries where dead and all of their equipment is telling them that the Q7 uses indirect TPMS.

The tech and I worked through the directions to reset the system in the MMI and I have driven it since. The system has never reset and I am still getting the message.

I am left with two questions:

1. are there sensors in the tires of this model.

2. What would be the next step for a DIY fix, or should I break down and take it into an Audi dealer?

thank you

Quick Reply: TPMS MALFUNCTION