Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

TDI out of warranty, oil leaks, live with 'em or...???

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2023, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 353 Likes on 296 Posts

I've driven several Mk2 Q7's at work and they're just way too refined for my liking. Maybe boring is the better word? I haven't driven an SQ7 yet, but I have driven a Cayenne GTS (incredible).

Idk, I guess there is just something about the MK1 I love. There is so much more road feel in the steering. It rides like it's on rails, especially with a lowered suspension. I don't need to use the brakes as much on mine as the MK2's. Also, I have the Vr6. I know it's the base engine for the 07' but if Porsche used it, that's good enough for me.

I just can't see myself ever buying a MK2, or spending that kind of money. Yeah the interior is nicer, but I don't like the exterior. They cut off all the curves the MK1 has.

Plus, with Audi going all electric 🤮 I don't see myself ever in the market for a new Audi in the future. Or any manufacturer to be honest. EV's are fast, thats it. They're a complete bore to drive, and the regenerative braking is the worst idea ever imo. Plus the range is crap, and with all the b.s. bureaucracy involved, the nationwide charging infrastructure will most likely never be achieved.

Thankfully there are still plenty of nice low mileage MK1's available. I might become a collector if I ever have the money.
The following users liked this post:
hopkinsd21 (10-29-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 05:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 75 Likes on 67 Posts

Currently have a 2023 or 2024 Q7 as a loaner as our ~94k mile TDI gets several things done. I'm anticipating spending $3k+ in fixing an alarming oil leak from, guessing, the oil cooler plus having the water pump/thermostat/idlers/tensioner/belt and glow plug #2 replaced. It's had a RMS leak for a couple years, dealership never did anything about it when under warranty. Annoying. We need to do tires this spring, I would have gotten 5 years and 35k miles out of the Kumhos (we run Yoko snow tires in the winter months). I'll probably add one of the Android Auto modules to the MMI system to gain that functionality. I just really really like the 2013-2015 TDI's. Need to haul 9k lbs? No sweat. Need to haul your four-person family and all their crap? No biggie. Do that while getting better mileage than a truck or any other SUV capable of either feat? You bet.

I do feel the need to get a second larger vehicle, soon, to help spread mileage out. My daughter plays club (and school) volleyball on a National team, so we drive a fair amount during the club season...There's a D3 A8 calling my name, if I can convince my wife. My B5-A4 is just too small to take those trips in. Plus, its getting hard to find certain parts for it.

Oh, observations on the new Q7. Smaller fuel tank by ~4 gallons. Worse turning radius by over a foot. Both make a big difference in driving experience. The turbo 6 is laggy, even with a mild hybrid system. Can actually be worse than the TDI...
-Wes- (11-01-2023)
Old 10-30-2023, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'
FWIW, I'd try some of that AT 205 Reseal or a similar product like the Liqui Moly 'Oil Saver', etc.
Thanks good information.
Old 11-01-2023, 02:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by cuatrokoop
Currently have a 2023 or 2024 Q7 as a loaner as our ~94k mile TDI gets several things done. I'm anticipating spending $3k+ in fixing an alarming oil leak from, guessing, the oil cooler plus having the water pump/thermostat/idlers/tensioner/belt and glow plug #2 replaced. It's had a RMS leak for a couple years, dealership never did anything about it when under warranty. Annoying. We need to do tires this spring, I would have gotten 5 years and 35k miles out of the Kumhos (we run Yoko snow tires in the winter months). I'll probably add one of the Android Auto modules to the MMI system to gain that functionality. I just really really like the 2013-2015 TDI's. Need to haul 9k lbs? No sweat. Need to haul your four-person family and all their crap? No biggie. Do that while getting better mileage than a truck or any other SUV capable of either feat? You bet.

I do feel the need to get a second larger vehicle, soon, to help spread mileage out. My daughter plays club (and school) volleyball on a National team, so we drive a fair amount during the club season...There's a D3 A8 calling my name, if I can convince my wife. My B5-A4 is just too small to take those trips in. Plus, its getting hard to find certain parts for it.

Oh, observations on the new Q7. Smaller fuel tank by ~4 gallons. Worse turning radius by over a foot. Both make a big difference in driving experience. The turbo 6 is laggy, even with a mild hybrid system. Can actually be worse than the TDI...

Find your self a good indy mechanic. I wouldn't dream of taking my vehicle to a dealer out of warranty. Although, the VW dealer changes oil in my TDI for $125 vs $405 at Audi dealer.
Old 11-01-2023, 04:59 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I think I purchased our 2012 Prestige S-Line TDI with 89k miles for around $25k IIRC. We're at 109k now, just out of warranty. Went the full weight loss route and had the chains done as I had a failed oil pump tensioner. Along with said weightloss parts, and a lot of 'replace while you're in there', my total bill came out to just shy of $13,700, the chains alone being about 50~ hours of labor....that bill by itself was slightly less than $10k.

I consider it a win, I don't ever sell my cars (I've only been forced to buy when someone hits me and totals my car) and I know she'll be reliable as a sewing machine for multiple trips to FL from NY and everywhere in between (we do a ton of driving, wife doesn't like to fly and it costs a ton with a kid plus a rental car/car seat etc). I think Audi gave me an estimate of $13,800 for JUST chains...and they said it would need rocker arms and this and that and the other thing and the bill would likely be more.

All my maintenance and failure prone items got replaced during this visit for less than what Audi wanted for bare minimum work that they would most likely botch in some way shape or form and I'd be on the hook to pay the increased costs.

I plan to drive this thing until I come outside one morning and it's a pile of grey dust and 4 wheels.
The following 3 users liked this post by Itsbrokeagain:
'10Q7TDI_Prestige' (11-01-2023), -Wes- (11-02-2023), Cboogie (11-14-2023)
Old 11-01-2023, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 730 Likes on 604 Posts

LOL, my elder sister has a 2004 Audi A6 Prestige trim with the 2.7L dual turbo, 5 cylinder motor, which hauls A$hes, IYKWIM. She called me other day saying her horn doesn't work and tells me she's gonna trade the car in for next to nothing...that's our mother's influence telling her to do that, BTW. Here's the thing; it's in fantastic shape as all the maintenance and necessary repairs have been done on it, straight body, new tires, brakes, etc., etc. I refer her to a local shop regards to horns inop, and turns out when she had it in for a prior work in another state where they removed her front fascia to access the front of motor; they didn't hook up the horns or marker lights wiring connects when they put the front bumper fascia back on. (sounds like the Audi dealer, right?...at least the one's I've been to; Audi 'forgot' to reinstall a wheel-well liner on mine).

Of course I reminded her she's very recently invested a significant bit of money doing the necessary 20 year old-car parts replacements it needed and buying new tires, etc., etc., and it is in perfect running order, runs circles around the cars she's looking at, so why trade it now? She's got a fantastic car (gorgeous, timeless design) and one she knows very well (she's getting up in years), as she's owned it since new. She even remarked on how much more responsive her Audi's (rocket) engine is compared to the new cars she's test driven. I told her to go get the car fully detailed, and then keep it and drive it till it quits.

I'm also sure she won't keep it, as she's a nitwit and has zero common sense (highly intelligent, but zero common sense), and our mother who leases a new Lexus every three years is advising her to dump it, but I tried to help her see the light...I really, really tried.
The following 2 users liked this post by '10Q7TDI_Prestige':
-Wes- (11-02-2023), Itsbrokeagain (11-02-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

Some great humor and advice in this thread...! You guys are awesome! I am going to try the AT205 Reseal product and see how it works out. Our Q7 has been rock solid for over 50k miles, towing trailers, hauling stuff, taking friends to dinner or events. I keep the Q7 as clean as possible, pamper the paint and leather, still looks very nice despite it's age and miles. Just put on new Pirellis. It's just too good of a vehicle to trade or sell outright. We have a "'special needs" dog and buy those large puppy pads by the pallet. So I can just use a few of those on the garage floor...after all...if there good enough for Louis the "pee-dog" they should be good enough for the Audi.
The following 2 users liked this post by testarossaguy:
-Wes- (11-02-2023), hopkinsd21 (11-03-2023)
Old 11-02-2023, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by porsche man
Find your self a good indy mechanic. I wouldn't dream of taking my vehicle to a dealer out of warranty. Although, the VW dealer changes oil in my TDI for $125 vs $405 at Audi dealer.
Our indy up here charges nearly the same as the dealership ($160 vs $180/hr) and I don't get a loaner. This bill wouldn't have saved me much, and all the parts will be factory versus potentially too far marked up aftermarket parts. My thought process on this one is that the original stuff went 94k miles (or would have been more, but this got "while you are in there'd"...), so the replacement factory parts should do the same. Plus, they have a better warranty than the indy. In a midwest town of only 46-48k people, you have slim pickings for a Euro mechanic. I've owned Audis for approaching 30 years, most of the time I do my own work (engine rebuild, transmission swap, brakes, suspension, exhaust, whatever). But some things I just don't have time to mess with. I should find out what the total damage to my bank account is tomorrow, but they did the oil cooler/pipes, water pump, serp belt, idlers, tensioner, #2(?) glow plug with the pressure sensor, plus various other bits/gaskets/seals.
J. Patterson (11-02-2023)
Old 11-03-2023, 01:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by cuatrokoop
Our indy up here charges nearly the same as the dealership ($160 vs $180/hr) and I don't get a loaner.
My Indy is $135 compared to the dealers $225. And coming from the mechanic side of things (turned a wrench for a good part of 15 years), there are really good aftermarket parts that are literally OEM parts with the logo ground off (for patent reasons). Sucks that you would get ripped off but my Indy charges me a fair price for them and having seen/used them first hand I can attest to the quality of them. And yes there are some brands to avoid but they are mostly fake/Chinese junk.
Old 11-04-2023, 09:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Itsbrokeagain
My Indy is $135 compared to the dealers $225. And coming from the mechanic side of things (turned a wrench for a good part of 15 years), there are really good aftermarket parts that are literally OEM parts with the logo ground off (for patent reasons). Sucks that you would get ripped off but my Indy charges me a fair price for them and having seen/used them first hand I can attest to the quality of them. And yes there are some brands to avoid but they are mostly fake/Chinese junk.
Yeah, I mean, I've worked on all my own Audis since I bought my first one nearly 30 years ago. I am pretty well versed in parts on them. The TDI is our third Q7 alone, and it is my 11th of 13 Audis I've owned (I've had a couple VW's in there too). I mean, I didn't get to nearly 19k posts on AW in the OT forum ;-)

All that said, sometimes I just don't feel like working on a car, or don't have time to (both of which were this case). My kids are both in HS (Fr and Jr) and one is a student-athlete (and club sport athlete). As a parent I am running short on time to spend with my kids while they are kids.
The following 2 users liked this post by cuatrokoop:
'10Q7TDI_Prestige' (11-04-2023), Itsbrokeagain (11-04-2023)

Quick Reply: TDI out of warranty, oil leaks, live with 'em or...???