Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

TDI out of warranty, oil leaks, live with 'em or...???

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2023, 08:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts
Default TDI out of warranty, oil leaks, live with 'em or...???

I'm in sort of a conundrum. My 2014 TDI is out of warranty. It has a bit of oil weeping out the rear main seal, and a few other spots. My lovely wife just HATES oil leaks on our coated driveway & garage floor, so she is pushing me to have the leaks fixed - or get rid of the old girl. The costs for an engine-out reseal job, even if done by a competent independent shop, would likely match or exceed the value of the vehicle. I'm thinking of using some sort of "diaper" or similar on the under-tray to soak up the oil, and change that out periodically. Selling or trading the old girl off would be negative financial transaction. I'm very attached to this Q7 as she runs like a champ and has served us well. Any suggestions.....?
Old 10-26-2023, 09:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 254 Likes on 217 Posts

Live with them! I, too, have a leak from the rear main or "upper oil sump" area (one of the two). I fought with the dealerships for a good 40,000 miles trying to get them to acknowledge and fix the problem, but I was never successful, even after they did acknowledge it, they would always come up with some reason why they were wrong and it was actually something else very mundane. Anyhow, I finally decided that it just wasn't worth the hassle for a few drips.

In my current mood, I'd recommend trading in the wife. However, the most financially prudent option is just to get a nice aluminum drip pan and put it under where you park the car. I have a friend who drives old diesels (like, really old military stuff), and his mother keeps a couple pans like this... and requires him to use them any time he comes over to visit her! LOL

They are pretty lightweight and not unsightly, so it might be a good compromise.
The following 2 users liked this post by -Wes-:
Cboogie (11-14-2023), Itsbrokeagain (11-01-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 07:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 62 Likes on 52 Posts

Sage advice.....don't let his wife read this
The following users liked this post:
-Wes- (10-26-2023)
Old 10-26-2023, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 254 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by AMDG75
Sage advice.....don't let his wife read this
Reading it again, I think @testarossaguy was referring to his Q7 when he said, "Selling or trading the old girl off would be negative financial transaction." Oops.... my mistake!
mikeru (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I have been out of warrany and had the oil cooler and water pump leak fixed and now it is leaking again. I have not investigated where it is coming from. I just check the oil and make sure it is ok.
i threw some sand on the floow where it is leaking under the car and will live with it. it sweeps up easily but pans seem nice though.

Beleive me getting rid of the wife is more expensive than fixing the car. save money keep both and live with tthe oil drip.

Cat litter or sand are easy to sweep up when it is saturated and you get points with the wife when she sees you sweeping. LOL
-Wes- (10-27-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 156 Likes on 119 Posts

Your wife is banging at the front door to be let in. The dog is at the back door barking to be let in. Who do you let in first?

The dog of course. Because once he's in he'll shut the hell up. LOL
The following 4 users liked this post by Blackfunk:
-Wes- (10-27-2023), bg_2007Q7 (10-27-2023), Cboogie (10-27-2023), Itsbrokeagain (11-01-2023)
Old 10-27-2023, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 353 Likes on 296 Posts

Do you have extra land next to the driveway to put in a gravel parking spot?
Old 10-27-2023, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 730 Likes on 604 Posts

FWIW, I'd try some of that AT 205 Reseal or a similar product like the Liqui Moly 'Oil Saver', etc.

Both of those are designed to swell up worn seals over the course of several hundred miles; won't do nothing for leaking gaskets, but the rubber seals it can really help with, such as the rear main, etc., etc.

Just bear in mind to read the instructions and follow exactly...do not add more product than called for as that will create a bigger problem. It takes some time/miles driven for these to work. They won't fix broken seals, but worn seals they can handle. Also, once applied; don't add more product at next oil change. Liqui Moly indicates, for example, to reapply their product every three years...no sooner.

There is also an absorbent mat product for catching car 'drippings'...is it called 'hog mat' or something like that, IIRC. It is just like a puppy training mat, but for cars; use with or w/o the drip tray to keep things tidy on the floor.

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 10-27-2023 at 06:49 PM. Reason: other products related
Cboogie (10-30-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 02:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 890 Likes on 729 Posts

I would keep the car and park it in the garage over a flattened card card box to to absorb the oil. But I am an old school guy with nothing but white hair.
Cboogie (10-30-2023)
Old 10-28-2023, 04:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I was explaining this to my sister and brother in law the other day. We had to shell out $4k for our 2013 S7 to get the clutch disc pack changed out. Essentially we were called dumb was told we should have just sold the car.

We still need to do suspension work, double wishbone setup there, and we have a fuel smell (already replace the HPFP's [from what I am reading, seeing, and understanding potentially need new downpipe as they are flex pipes and known to wear out]).

So we are getting close to the value also.

I did the math. Average new car payment vs average used car payment vs fixing the car.

Depends on the site, average car/truck payment is between $750 to $1k per month now. If you research today's cars, there are mechanical, electrical, and major quality issues with today's cars. For example, look up GM Trucks and water pouring into cabins. Or Tesla and paint peeling off. Or Audi Q8 engine misfires. It's crazy what you have to deal with these days.

And then, the new cars arent the same as some of the older ones. I love our V8 twin turbo. I test drove a TTRS, the new RS5 and new S7. It's not the same. The 2.9l 6cyl twin turbo has nothing on the V8 Twin Turbo. The turbo lag on the 5 cyl is crazy. And the same with our Q7s. Not a fan of how light they are. Almost reminds my of my Sisters Hyundai.

So I factor the cost. I am ok with losing $20k invested back into my vehicle over the next 5 ish years at $333 a month for a car that is paid off for maintenance and fun stuff ratger than a $750+ car payment for thr next 5 years plus all the nonsense that will come with the next car.

my sister was like... well i want Android auto in my car, and want leather seats, etc... I told her she can have all of that. $10k into her car to have all of the amenities that she wants vs a new Hynudia with all of its is going to be $60k these days.

Until the engine blows up or the car refuses to start, I will keep it going.

That's my thought and rationale behind it. Fix the Q. 😁
The following 2 users liked this post by hopkinsd21:
'10Q7TDI_Prestige' (10-31-2023), -Wes- (10-30-2023)

Quick Reply: TDI out of warranty, oil leaks, live with 'em or...???