Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

TDI Coolant Leak from Oil Cooler / EGR - Owner Repair Stories

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2024, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

Attention to detail is key - this job is not for the faint of heart. I ordered all of my parts from our local VW dealer with no issues. So the bypass valve is scarce....?
The following users liked this post:
'10Q7TDI_Prestige' (02-11-2024)
Old 02-12-2024, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When searching for the bypass valve on the Q5 tdi in doesnt even show up on most part houses, and different part houses call it by different names. When I referenced the VAG part number some says “ this part does not fit a 2014 Q5” once I got everything disassembled and had the part in my hand and confirmed the
VAG part number was indeed the correct part I was able to order it from FCP Euro ( OEM part). I dont have a VW/Audi dealer near me.
Old 02-12-2024, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 251 Likes on 215 Posts

I think that part numbering / compatibility concerns are higher for VAG products than others I have experienced. I don't know why this is, but I always stick with this rule: If the part # is the same, it will work, regardless of what the vendor says.

COMPLETELY OFF TOPIC...... I am having an interesting experience right now with RockAuto.... I have a 2013 Subaru Forester, and I ordered some hood and hatch struts for it since they are both having a hard time doing their jobs anymore. The parts, which RockAuto have listed on their site as fitting my car, were all for the fourth generation Forester (2014-2018), simply because someone at their company inventoried the parts wrong. However, because I removed them from the packaging to prep the install (it was about -15F outside, so I didn't want to spend any more time out there installing than necessary), the company won't allow me to return, and they won't even communicate with me about their cataloging mistake. Idiots.
'10Q7TDI_Prestige' (02-12-2024)
Old 02-24-2024, 01:48 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Finally all done! Received the coolant bypass valve last Thursday, had everything cleaned up by then, took about 8 hours to reassemble everything.
after double and triple checking all connectors and plugs, I held my breath and hit the starter button, she turned over for about 15 seconds and came to life!
Its amazing the thing was running as well as it was with all the carbon build up in the intake and throttle body! It seems more respondve and accellerates quicker and smoother!
If I had to do this again it would no doubt be quicker ( 3 days to disassemble and 8 hrs to reassemble) hopefully she will go another 100k or so ( currently at 185k)
thanks for all the works of encouragement and help!
Morguns1Cam
The following 2 users liked this post by morguns1cam:
-Wes- (02-26-2024), Built4Sin (02-27-2024)
Old 03-08-2024, 05:03 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Greetings all! I looked around, and didn't find what I was looking for using the search. I have a '14 Q7 TDI Prestige with this oil cooler/egr cooler leak. Has anyone posted a list of gaskets/seals they used when doing this job? I'd like to order it all beforehand if possible, down to the orings for any coolant connections etc.

I'm an automotive teacher by trade. So, I'm well versed in mechanics and have full access to a shop. I just want to be efficient with my time.
Old 03-08-2024, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 251 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by TeacherToph
Greetings all! I looked around, and didn't find what I was looking for using the search. I have a '14 Q7 TDI Prestige with this oil cooler/egr cooler leak. Has anyone posted a list of gaskets/seals they used when doing this job? I'd like to order it all beforehand if possible, down to the orings for any coolant connections etc.

I'm an automotive teacher by trade. So, I'm well versed in mechanics and have full access to a shop. I just want to be efficient with my time.

I have a link to the thread with the parts list I used / recommend. The list itself is #21 of that thread, and I think this link will take you directly there:

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-.../#post25776309

Unfortunately, I could not find some gasket part numbers, such as a gasket for the oil cooler.

Last edited by -Wes-; 03-08-2024 at 06:06 PM.
Old 03-08-2024, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by -Wes-
I have a link to the thread with the parts list I used / recommend. The list itself is #21 of that thread, and I think this link will take you directly there:

Thanks. I found that list somewhere in my searching, but wasn't sure if your Q7 was the same engine gen as mine. I'll use that list and the parts diagrams to order what I can beforehand.
Old 03-11-2024, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Oil cooler coolant leak update

Update: Took the Audi on a 300 mile roadtrip, interstate driving 75-80 mph, first highway drive since the repair, happy to report no coolant leak!
Glad to have this repair in the rearview!
Thanks for all the info and encouragement!
The following 2 users liked this post by morguns1cam:
'10Q7TDI_Prestige' (03-11-2024), -Wes- (03-11-2024)
Old 03-13-2024, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by -Wes-

Thank you, Wes! Your list was VERY helpful.
-Wes- (03-13-2024)
Old Today, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Okay, Wes you're awesome for making this thread. I'll post a couple of pics later, showing any difference I found useful. I will say, there were a couple of part numbers I used that weren't listed.

I was able to find the gaskets for the top and bottom of the oil cooler adapter plate. So I did not need to replace either of the coolers. This was where mine was leaking, because once I got mine apart, I found RTV around those gaskets. Also...whoever had been in there previously had decided to just leave one of the intake bolts off. -.- Luckily I had some extra bolts that were the right size.

There are three part numbers for the adapter plate gaskets. Luckily they are all nearly identical except for the last character:
Engine Oil Cooler Gasket 059-117-070 This is the gasket between the engine and the adapter plate, except for a very small indexed round o-ring looking gasket.
Engine Oil Cooler Gasket 059-117-070A This is that small o-ring looking gasket.
Engine Oil Cooler Gasket 059-117-070B This is the gasket between the adapter plate and the cooler.

The total for those three was like $30. The small o-ring looking one is tricky. It has a notch/tab and there is a cutout on the adapter plate that they need to be matched to. The rest of the parts are listed by Wes and I used them all. I had some extras, which were ordered in case the new parts were somehow missing the gasket. Small investment to save a headache later.

Unfortunately, I didn't have time to clean all the intake like I wanted to. I spent about 10 hours removing, cleaning then reinstalling. If I had another ride to work that day, I would have left it apart and spent the next day cleaning the carbon buildup. I spent too long fiddling with removing the intake after it was loose before I realized I should pull off the fuel pressure sensor. After that it was cake. Having a shop 9 months of the year is a real luxury.
-Wes- (Today)

Quick Reply: TDI Coolant Leak from Oil Cooler / EGR - Owner Repair Stories