Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Spark plug changing issue - Q7 out of action...

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 09:58 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Spark plug changing issue - Q7 out of action...now fixed

Really welcome some help from the experts here. Am finishing up 115k service at home with plugs and coils change. Got the first coil off, hard to remove but OK (I have the removal tool). Replaced plug, no issues. Went to second one, coil eventually came out but left half the insulation/rubber liner on top of the plug. So I can't get the socket on the plug to get it out....

No issues with damaging the old coil as have them to replace anyway, but how to get the plug out? I then compounded the error by trying the third plug, tried to be pretty gentle but ended with with still enough rubber (not as much as first one) to stop me getting the plug out.

Last edited by TodeVAG; 01-09-2021 at 09:47 AM.
Old 01-07-2021, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by TodeVAG
Really welcome some help from the experts here. Am finishing up 115k service at home with plugs and coils change. Got the first coil off, hard to remove but OK (I have the removal tool). Replaced plug, no issues. Went to second one, coil eventually came out but left half the insulation/rubber liner on top of the plug. So I can't get the socket on the plug to get it out....

No issues with damaging the old coil as have them to replace anyway, but how to get the plug out? I then compounded the error by trying the third plug, tried to be pretty gentle but ended with with still enough rubber (not as much as first one) to stop me getting the plug out.
Get yourself a set of good metal picks. A straight one and a hooked one will be needed. Take the straight one and go around the inner circumference where the rubber boot and the ceramic insulator meet to break the bond. Some penetrating oil can be used to help if needed. Don’t use silicone spray in the engine compartment, silicone ruins O2 sensors. Once the boot is separated take the hooked pick and pull it up and out.
The following 3 users liked this post by B6-3.0L:
dreadlocks (01-07-2021), morris39 (01-19-2021), TodeVAG (01-07-2021)
Old 01-09-2021, 07:08 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thanks very much for the suggestion. I have ordered some picks from Amazon. While waiting for those this morning I did some internet searching and someone had success with using a tube to push over the spark plug ceramic and forcing the stuck boot off.

Had a search about the house and found a very unusual possible tool - broken carbon fiber golf club shaft. As it was tapered I could cut just at the right diameter for the plug - and with one a gentle push over the plug...done! Not exactly the kind of thing you have normally laying around, but I guess any right sized tube will work.

The following 3 users liked this post by TodeVAG:
dreadlocks (01-09-2021), Kei78 (01-09-2021), Pothole5000 (01-09-2021)
Old 01-13-2021, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

That was too funny. I was readying to do a spark plug change on my M5, and the description showed a Rubber Hose to be used to place the plugs in. They had a part number "Rubber Hose 0870242whatever" yes the original Rubber Hose. LOL.

This thread concerns me. I have changing the pugs on my '15 Q7 this weekend. Now I have this BS to look forward to. I did not get the Puller tool as it seemed unnecessary?

Mike
Old 01-13-2021, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm not sure the puller tool is a must have. It's simple but I've seen someone on YouTube use a couple of zip ties as loops and I would imagine that works fine. I tackled the second bank of cylinders yesterday and tried running the engine for a bit first, just to get some heat into the plugs and maybe loosen up the boots' adhesion a bit. Slight improvement with two relatively clean coil removals and only one fully stuck on boot. Not sure I'd use one set of data to prove that warmer was better, so YMMV.

The other issue I had to face was the small shreds of rubber boot in the spark plug wells, even with my "high-tech" boot extractor. Cue another Frankenstein tool with an oil extractor hose duct-taped to the end of a vacuum cleaner. Worked well enough.

I wish you a simpler (and less expletive filled) exercise.
Old 01-19-2021, 08:28 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I pulled a few of mine with the Audi pulling tool but some I did by hand. You can pry it up a bit with a screw driver and just grab it. The other option is a pair of zip ties as a handle.

The KILLER is those GD clips on the wires. 1/2 worked easily and 1/2 snapped. I Loathe that design. I Hate that design. I Despise that Design. Little clips to release that are made out of plastic. It's just a push down to release but when they are stuck they are stuck. PITA. Yes I am getting replacement clips. Friggen POS things. LOL.

Mike

Old 01-19-2021, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

The black ones on the end of the coil plugs? Yes there are also a pain, particularly here in the cold-ish NE. I partly snapped one, but there was enough of a light click putting it back together that I'm going to bet on it holding on. The connectors themselves seemed pretty well held together, even without the clips. If I get a misfire on #6 I know what the reason is likely to be!
Old 01-19-2021, 11:19 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for interesting and frank posts which might be helpful to some would be mechanics. For real horror stories visit Audizine B8 A4 forums to see what havoc unskilled hands can wreak.
Old 01-19-2021, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

My RS6 had two bolts per Coil but the wire connections were a bit beefer and disconnected easily. The problem with the current Audi design is that all the coil wires are held together in a rigid plastic frame so you need to release all the connectors together. This makes it a little more of a pain. Looks nice though. I want to replace the ones I broke because 1. Hobby 2. cheap. 3. drives me nuts when the dealer brakes stuff and does not replace. The first time I DIY work on my RS6 the two wires to the MAF sensors on the back of the intake were both broken. (really close working space). I never replaced them as it made the job easier to remove the air filter housing. On the Q7 I can see the broken part every time I open the hood and at sale so will the next buyer. From what I can see replacing the connectors will require dismantling the rigid plastic frame, I'll be sure to do that on a warm car. That was probably my biggest mistake working on the car cool (warmed it up after to change the oil).

Mike
Old 08-04-2023, 05:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Changing a spark plug or replacing a spark plug is not a issue However, there are some important considerations to keep in mind before attempting this DIY task. As a car owner, you are aware of the value of routine maintenance to keep your car in top condition. Spark plug replacement when they become worn out is a crucial part of this annual maintenance.

Quick Reply: Spark plug changing issue - Q7 out of action...