Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Smitten with the 2008

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: my 2 cents

Thanks for the spare change. Your 2 cents is undervalued!

Everyone's input has been helping me a great deal. I'm not going to offroad or tow so don't need the suspension. Like the idea of the side assist. Will use my voice commands in private and not embarass myself. I don't drive on the highway enough to get the adaptive cruise control. (That's what the Porsche is for...) And what you paid gives me an idea that I can negotiate a bit although not many available where I am. I don't tow anything but who knows, someday.....
Old 10-29-2007, 01:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Welcome to AudiWorld

Stay away from the Off Topic forum, with a tag like "SingleGirl..." they'll never stop harassing you for pictures of yourself.

I'm also about to take the leap on a Q7. I'm leaning towards the 3.6L because I had to compromise somewhere to get the options I want and keep the price where I want it. Most here that have driven both feel there's not a big difference until your doing highway speeds and punch it - then the V8 is more responsive.

I would like the adaptive cruise control - not for freeway driving but for stop and go traffic. I would hardly have to touch the pedals for 80% of my commute! Same with the adaptive suspension because my wife (primary driver) likes a soft ride and I like a firmer, sportier drive. We could both have what we want. Unfortunately, these two really great options come with steep price tags. Finding a Q7 with both will take you close to $67-70,000 MSRP.

The most important feature to me is the S-line package. I love the 20" 5-spoke wheels and the solid body color - I've never been wild about the two-tone look. The next must haves for me are the Tech package and the 4-zone climate as it's quite toasty here in Hawaii and we've got two kids to keep cool in the back. I'll probably also get the Convenience package but it's not a deal breaker for me. I wish I could pass on the sunroof as I've read several complaints about it in hot sunny weather but unfortunately about 90% of the Q7's going to the West Coast have it.

Here's what I'm finding on the West Coast for pricing. The 3.6L without S-line you can get for about $750-1,000 over invoice. The 3.6L with S-line I'm having a hard time getting for less than $1500 over invoice. The 4.2L with S-line is averaging about $2,000 over invoice. I've been working with several dealers in California, Portland and Seattle and it's been about the same but the SoCal dealers are more willing to deal, I think because of all the competition. I'm finding that the more specialized the car is (4.2L, S-line, etc.) the less they're willing to negotiate. They're trying to move the cookie cutter Q7's more quickly.

Anyway, that's my long winded post. I can't wait to get the Q7. I'm sure you'll be pleased with whatever you get. Welcome again!
Old 10-29-2007, 02:59 AM

Default Re: adaptive cruise control

to quote bosch

Bosch's new ACCplus system operates at traveling speeds below 30 km/hr to a complete stop. Even at crawling speed it maintains a safe distance to the vehicle ahead and automatically slows down the car in stop-and-go traffic, even to a complete stop. Once the vehicle in front begins to move again, the driver must only touch the ACC control switch on the steering wheel to begin following the car at a safe distance.

It appears the system does not warn you when the car in front has moved, which would be wonderful. There are time you need to take eyes from the vehicle in front, and when you have stopped would be the ideal time to be able to look away with the car calling your attention back when required
Old 10-29-2007, 04:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default I wouldn't say most here prefer the 3.6

I would say that most here who feel there's not a significant difference between the 3.6 and 4.2. I found there to be a very noticeable difference between the two. The 4.2 is much more drivable around town, IMO. I would say everyone who got the 4.2 feels the same way, as do some of the people who got the 3.6 because the 4.2 was just too expensive.

I think everyone needs to try them both before deciding for themselves.

Hard to go wrong with either one, though. ;-)
Old 10-29-2007, 06:54 AM

Default Re: my 2 cents

I drive a 3.0TDI, with Navigation, advanced parking, Xenon plus lights, air suspension, and manual blinds.
All great but would love to have the adaptive cruise control I believe this is the best option available and can kick myself for not taking it.
Old 10-29-2007, 07:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Smitten with the 2008

All becomes a preference. I have the 4.2 S-Line with the Adaptive Air Suspension. I have driven Q's with and without. Eventhough I don't tow a boat or off road, the handling with the air is better. Also, it allows you to lower the rear for loading heavy objects. Side assist is worth it, Lane assist was added in 2008 so I don't have on the 2007... I find Side assist more usefull in high speed traffic than I thought. Adaptive cruise is an expensive option, with little use for me. Voice control is something I would opt for, and it is standard on the 4.2 Premium anyway (US Model). Being able to dial the phone with saying the number xxx-xxx-xxxx keeps you focussed on the road. When I get a loaner without it, I really hate having to dial using the MMI (no memorized numbers). Using the NAV with voice (NAME) commands is really usefull as well. ("do you want to navigate to the indicated address", it responds...just say YES" I just say Navigate to HOME and away I go. I don't know what the Tech Package has that the S-Line Premium doesn't. I think everything is included.... may want to check the configurator. At any rate, you may be able to get Side Assist/Lane Assist as a stand alone option.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:57 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default S-Line vs. Tech and other comments

We just took delivery on a 2008 s-line that we ordered and we went through the same dilemas that you are going through. The side and lane assist is the only thing in the tech pack that seemed appealing (besides NAV) but in the end we went without it. We ended up going with convenince pack, s-line and ordered NAV separately.

I have voice command functionality in my 7-series and I never use it. I tried to when I first got the car as a novelty but in the end, it is just easier to push a button. Advanced key is cool, but not a must.

In the end, this is my wife's daily driver and it is used for soccer mom type stuff. Not much highway driving. She has been sucking it up for the last 6 years driving, in her terms, the "loser cruiser" mini-van, so having a cool looking vehicle she could be proud to drive and still be in the car pool was important. The S-line option really adds a lot of style to this vehicle. We fell in love with the s-line front end, 20" wheels and even the little spoiler off the back window is a welcome sporty addition. Even the S steering wheel and aliminum interior trim help differentiate the S from the non-S.

I guess it all depends on what you will be using the car for. If you do a lot of highway driving then I would definitely go for the tech pack.

Ours is a 3.6 and we paid $55,000 which was $3,000 off sticker.
Old 10-29-2007, 12:29 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Go for the Adaptive Air Suspension!

I never off road in the Q, but love the air suspension because it allows you to change the feeling of the car to suit your mood (the Dynamic setting is lower and sportier while the Comfort setting allows for a softer more luxury car feel). You can also lower just the back end when loading heavy things into the back of the car.
Old 10-29-2007, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: adaptive cruise control

It's one of those little known, but once you have it, you love it options.

I drove in 2 hours of traffic on the freeway, and I used the brakes just twice. Incredible.

If you are cross-shopping, it is the only one in the segment that can take you to a complete stop.
Old 10-29-2007, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Aljohn is yours Condor or Daytona?..never mind, its Daytona

Quick Reply: Smitten with the 2008