Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Smitten with the 2008

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2007, 11:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Smitten with the 2008

I've been looking for a new SUV for a few months. Didn't really pay attention to the Q7 until this weekend and fell in love with it. It has all of the tech stuff that interests me and the drive was great on highway, hills etc. (4.2). I have a few questions.

I don't see much talk about the Tech Package on this site. Do you, the current owners, use the side/lane assist?

I love the idea of voice control and what have people's experience been with this option?

What about the Adaptive Air Suspension? Is that something I could forego?

I take it standard cruise control isn't included thus the option of the 'Adaptive Cruise Control'.

Would like to get the S package but want the Tech package more. Anyone else struggle with this?

OK, I know I'm asking lots of questions.... but what's the pricing experience been on the 2008's.

Thanks, A.
Old 10-28-2007, 11:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Q4

cars all have standard cruise control and it works effectively.
Adaptive, once selected keeps a safe distance from car in front by automatically reducing to their speed and resuming your selection once they clear the lane. Works right down to zero.
It uses radar to detect car in front.
Q7ing for 17 months now and I wish I bought that option.
Old 10-28-2007, 12:52 PM

Default Re: Q4

Thanks for the feedback. I really like the Q7. Just trying to figure out the options I need. I welcome all of you Q7ers comments.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Side assist is great

I use it all the time. It is a very well implemented.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default If you are not off-roading or towing big loads I would forgo the Adaptive suspension. As for.......

the tech package, we love (especially my wife) the Keyless feature the Side assist, and the Voice command. The Keyless remote is very handy when packing around a 14 month old and a 5 yr. old in tow.

I think you will find everyone likes the features they have on their cars and some would add even more. Some features are expensive to add on after the fact (tow package for example) and might considered. We live in the PNW where there is not an abundance of hot weather and sunshine so the Pan. sunrrof is a great feature that lets in a lot of light on dreary days. I know it also heats up the cabin more in warmer climates as well.

Good luck, you will probably be very happy no matter what features you chose. It is an excellent choice for an SUV.
Old 10-28-2007, 01:14 PM

Default Re: If you are not off-roading or towing ...

Thanks K2. I am not going to offroad so that's great info on the active suspension feature. I live in the Southeast and love the panoramic sunroof. The acoustic shield that can be closed over it should keep some of that hot sun out!
Old 10-28-2007, 01:15 PM

Default Re: Side assist is great

cool. How about the voice activation feature?
Old 10-28-2007, 01:23 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Re: Side assist is great

I use it, but the implementation is a little clunky. It does allow you to quickly do something that would require multiple clicks on the MMI. But the system is a little dumb. About 1/2 the time, when I say "Store name" it comes up with "Directory."

I still don't know the capabilities of the system very well, and I think it does have the potential to be very useful.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:23 PM

Default my 2 cents

- The voice commands are worthless. Don't demo them to any Acura owner, you will be embarrassed.

- Side Assist is arguably the best thing you can spend your money on in terms of options on an '08. I know I shouldn't but I've come to rely on it a lot. I second Maui19's opinion, it's very well implemented. For example it will alert you if you have a vehicle in your blind spot (in the lane next to you) but it won't bug you if it's two lanes over.

- The base suspension is excellent. Most people here love their air option but I'm yet to find any adaptive suspension that I like. I find that they remove some of the predictability of a well-executed classic suspension.

We got one of the first 08's that our dealer delivered for 1.5K over invoice. I guess it must be the same or better these days.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:31 PM

Default adaptive cruise control

I didn't know it can go down to zero. For some reason I was assuming it goes down to a certain speed like the Lexus (I think that one disengages at 20 mph or so).
Does it re-engage when traffic ahead starts moving?

Audi's description here is quite unclear: http://www.audiusa.com/audi/us/en2/tools/glossary/operation_comfort/adaptive_cruise_control.html

Do you know if this option can be retrofitted with reasonable expense?

Quick Reply: Smitten with the 2008