Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Real Dilemma...Q7 4.2 Premium or Range Rover Sport. My driving impressions

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2007, 04:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Real Dilemma...Q7 4.2 Premium or Range Rover Sport. My driving impressions

Okay, spent the day pretty much between the Audi dealer and the Land Rover dealer, amongst running my business.

Here's my thoughts (and don't mistake I'm a DIE HARD VAG fan).

Having never driven the Range Rover (or the LR3), I went to the dealer and drove both.

The LR3 was a major let down. Slow (despite having the same engine as the Sport, it's throttle response programming is totally lacking).

The Sport was simply put, AWESOME. On paper, it has 50 less hp than the Q7, but I'm assuming it has less weight as well. However, whoever programmed the software was born wearing driving shoes. The throttle response and acceleration are excellent, although you do feel it wane at the high end. The engine sound is also amazing. To make this more fun, they took me on this rock crawling course behind the dealer. Let me tell you, I WAS FREAKED. We had the truck on a 45 degree angle sideways and stopped. I put down the drivers window and was about 18 inches from touching the ground. SICK!!

Cost is not an issue as the down payment is $500 less with the RR, but the monthly lease payment is $10 more. Non issue.

In terms of styling, the edge goes to the RR. I personally feel the exterior is just more sporty looking, and the interior is much tighter feeling around the driver. Don't need to reach for a thing. Reminds me of my sports car days!!

In terms of options, here's the low down:

The Audi has wood accents, rear heated seats and heated steering wheel, four zone climate versus 2 in the RR, keyless entry and start, 7 seat versus 5 (my wife may have input here), 20" wheels versus 19", Panoramic roof versus standard in the RR, Rear view camera versus noise sensors front and rear in the RR, Power tailgate, and side door shades (important with children). The RR has the upper hand in audio, the Harman Kardon system has 500 watts and rocks. The RR's entry system with the wheel moving and the seat moving is better than the Audi's. None of this is deal breaking (driving and price usually are it for me), but it's a consideration given the quantity of options the Audi has for the same price.

The final decision factor is my customers. While I'm not one to buy based on other's impressions, I do have a service business where I'm at customers' homes alot, and what you drive does impact your image (the RR could be too much).

Would love some feedback and thoughts from the "crew."
Old 08-17-2007, 04:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default q7 for no other reason than reliability.

rr is a piece of ____.
Old 08-18-2007, 05:45 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Here are my two cents...

Hey Ted,

I also own a small business where customers get to see what I drive. And, I often wonder if they judge my company's prices based on my car. I am currently in an X5 and I'm constantly hearing comments about "that fancy BMW." And, while people are joking, there's always a grain of truth in every joke.

The bottom line is, if the services you provide command your prices, people will be happy to pay them--regardless of what car you drive. If nothing else, people will see that you are a succesful business owner!

It seems you're really leaning towards the RR. Go for it man!!!! We're car guys. The last thing you need is to be driving a "fill in the blank" for three years gawking at every RR Sport that goes by wishing you had gotten one!

j.
Old 08-18-2007, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I don't own either however...

When looking at a new ride for my wife we drove the Q7 for an extended period.. Being a VAG man as well, I totally enjoyed it, but it was huge for my likes.

I looked at the RR Sport, but didn't drive it.

Dangle both sets of keys in front of me, I take the RRS (service and dependability aside..no experience with RR products). I don't see any of the "options" you've listed as necessary, in fact they extranious for that matter...

Your son is too small for heated rear seats to matter, and Pam will make sure the temp in the back is perfect, in spite of the beads of sweat that will collect on your brow.

Remote entry and start rate no points for me.

Client impression? It's always a fine line isn't it? If you you show up in a old beat up F150 you get the "aw, he isn't doing too well" and if your ride were a 750li you get the "he's doing well, his prices are going to be too much" response.

If you're worried...just find some mud, gunk it up and ride the fine line with a smile. Truth be told though, the concern is probably more your own baggage than your clients..
Old 08-18-2007, 08:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Do you like the people who work at the Land Rover dealer?

This is a very important consideration when buying a Land Rover because you will be spending an awful lot of time at the dealer. We replaced a 2000 Range Rover 4.6 with the Q7. I don't have enough space to list all the work that was done to this vehicle during it's lifetime; new transmission, windsheild, entire air suspension, head gaskets, water pump, etc. Thank god everything was covered under either the factory warranty or an extended warranty that I bought.

I can fully appreciate why Land Rover is consistently dead last in virtually every automotive quality survey. VW isn't much better, but at least Audi makes it to mid pack.

I've owned two Range Rovers. I will NEVER own another Land Rover product (unless they are bought by the Japanese!).
Old 08-19-2007, 12:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: Real Dilemma...Q7 4.2 Premium or Range Rover Sport. My driving impressions

I just had the same decision to make here in the UK. Main factor stopping purchase of RRS is the reliability.. there are web sites full of LR HATE blogs !! My friend has one and is already on his second engine... this didn't help.

Also here in the UK all these cars are diesel and the 188 BHP of the RRS, compared to the 233 of the Audi, and the extra weight the RRS carries just make the word "Sport" a misnoma !! RRS's over here are so common too... whereas the Q7 isn't. Contemporary UK magazines also slate the RRS interiior as being "cheap" and "not up to the standard of car".

The off road ability of the RRS would swing it, if I ever went off road. There's no question that LR build the best off roaders ever, but if i go off road, usually it's a mistake. I wouldn't spend this much money on a ride then take it up a mountain (where my insurance probably doesn't cover) !

And when Jaguar and LR are sold to the Chinese and the RR's are made in Beijing, status will all be the Audi's way. So in the UK it's a no-brainer... Q7 all the way.
Old 08-19-2007, 12:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Just spend some time reading this

<ul><li><a href="http://landrover.haveyoursay.com/2005/09/audi_q7_wins_ov.html">http://landrover.haveyoursay.com/2005/09/audi_q7_wins_ov.html</a</li></ul>
Old 08-19-2007, 12:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default Or this

<ul><li><a href="http://landrover.haveyoursay.com/2007/06/index.html">http://landrover.haveyoursay.com/2007/06/index.html</a</li></ul>
Old 08-20-2007, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I see stuff like this, I'm just so glad I went with the Q7. I also, gave some thought to LR.