Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 versus the Competition

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 versus the Competition

I have been going through the threads and looking for some added feedback. My sister is looking to jump into an SUV with 3 rows of seats preferred. She is expecting her first baby and has a large dog. Mini-vans are not an option at this point (Haha)!

Her list is Range Rover, BMW X5, Volvo XC90 and I added the Audi and Mercedes. She is open to CPO as well as new depending on where it will price out.

Anyone here with a high mileage Q7? Anyone trade one of the listed SUVs for a Q7 and why?

Thanks for the feedback!
Old 07-04-2012, 04:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by 3ics
I have been going through the threads and looking for some added feedback. My sister is looking to jump into an SUV with 3 rows of seats preferred. She is expecting her first baby and has a large dog. Mini-vans are not an option at this point (Haha)!

Her list is Range Rover, BMW X5, Volvo XC90 and I added the Audi and Mercedes. She is open to CPO as well as new depending on where it will price out.

Anyone here with a high mileage Q7? Anyone trade one of the listed SUVs for a Q7 and why?

Thanks for the feedback!

i only have 25K on my 2011 Q7 but i still love it. me and the wife were lifelong BMW lovers and my last was an X5. we wanted another SUV and i thought the styling of the Q was better, the interior of the X5 (like all BMWs) appears dated IMO. plus i dont like their idrive system. the layout of the Audi MMI system feels better to me

and yes this is a little vain i know but there are TONS of X5s on the road. which means there is no wow factor with having another one. in the short time of owning the Q7 i can recount several amusing little anecdotes of people saying "whoaa....what is THAT!!??" or people staring , etc...you may not experience the same if you are in an area where there are lots of Q7s

lastly make sure you get into a Q7 and check the usefulness of the 3rd row before you buy. its tiny and i keep it folded down most of the time. to me its only useful in a pinch where i have to take a couple extra kids on a short ride (movies, concerts, ice cream, etc...)
Old 07-04-2012, 05:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

on this forum, you are going to get more people leaning towards the Q7 then other forums.

when we purchased our Q7 2011 TDI, we were looking at the following.
BMW X5, Mercedes ML and VW Touareg...... IMO, Audi Q7 is the best among them.
I like X5 but the third row is a joke. Interior looks plain and Q7 TDI's gas mileage is better
ML looks too much like a mini van to me plus no third row option
VW Touareg, very nice again no third row and i wasn't going to buy another 1st gen VW again (already own a previous 2004 V8 Touareg)

we love our third row, it's perfect for small childrens under 10
Old 07-04-2012, 08:24 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I know I am going to get slated for this but I really like the look of the new Lexus RX F SPORT. Looks amazing in the flesh and I the only reason I didnt buy the pre facelift version was because it looked hideous. The new F Sport on the other hand surely looks the business. Good on fuel too so not much wrong with that vehicle.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:13 PM
LOP
AudiWorld Member

We felt the safest in the XC90 that we owned/traded for Q7.
Volvo treated me to a driving class where they gave me the opportunity to flip it...I could not do it, 60mph with a hard quick turn to the left and then to the right, no go.

3rd row was a bit more cramped in XC90.

Both it and Q7 have a/c vents high on the pillar for 3rd row and cargo area which is important when you have 3rd row passengers or dogs in cargo area.

Range Rover was on the list but smaller cargo space and lack of high a/c vents to cool cargo area.

Last edited by LOP; 07-04-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-04-2012, 03:23 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We owned an xc90 before and loved it. We were going to get another but decided to test out a few other options. We wanted a suv with third row, so x5 and the xc90 were our options. The 3rd row in the x5 is a joke, there is no space at all. The xc90 the 3rd row was not too bad, but the q7 had the most room. The panoramic sunroof is great, really opens
Up the car.

All
The cars drove great, the Volvo is really solid and drives like a car, the BMW had a ton of power, and the q7(we got a 4.2 v8) was a combination of the 2.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:11 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I owned a 2007 Q7 3.0 and I recently bought a 2012 X5 35d.
They are both terrific vehicles. I would say if you need extra space the Q7 is your best bet. The X5 is much smaller for trunk space and the third row is a joke. But the X5 drives amazingly better, esp when cornering.
Old 07-05-2012, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Thank you for all of the feedback. As someone has stated, each SUV has its strong qualities. She is asking my opinion, but I have already suggested she and her husband drive each one to make their best decision.
Old 07-07-2012, 10:45 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone consider the Infiniti JX? That is what the wife is trying to decide between.
Old 07-07-2012, 01:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Snopyro
Anyone consider the Infiniti JX? That is what the wife is trying to decide between.
3 letters.... CVT = RUN

Quick Reply: Q7 versus the Competition