Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Used Models

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 Used Models

Hi All -

I will be in the market for a used Q7 in the coming months. My original plans to hunt down an '09/'10 3.0TDI are obviously squashed with the buyback...so I need to turn my attention to the gassers.

I'd like to stay in the '08-'10 range, but realize there were a few different gas engine options. Looking for advice on which engine to focus on - mainly for reliability. Not as much worried about mileage vs. performance.

Any input appreciated!
Old 07-30-2017, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default my 2012 q7 3.0 tfsi prestige s line just turned 100,000 mi.

it has been TOTALLY FLAWLESS in every way. I am more than pleased with every aspect of this car and I am VERY hard to please with things mechanical as I demand perfection. It has never caused me a single issue and I will only get rid of it IF Audi has the wisdom to make the SQ7 available in the US in 2018!
Old 07-30-2017, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flynavy
it has been TOTALLY FLAWLESS in every way. I am more than pleased with every aspect of this car and I am VERY hard to please with things mechanical as I demand perfection. It has never caused me a single issue and I will only get rid of it IF Audi has the wisdom to make the SQ7 available in the US in 2018!
thanks, i appreciate the info.

I have tried searching for similar threads, however they all usually end up recommending the TDI which is obviously out of the question
Old 07-31-2017, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

We are looking to purchase a 3.0 TDI Q7 next year. So the Gen 1 (pre 2012) is offered a buyback, while 2013-2015 has a proposed fix and does not have a buyback order for it correct?
Was it 2012 or 2013 that got the gen 2 3.0 TDI and 8 speed trans? This is the one we want. As new and as low mile as we can get for approx 40k.
It seems some of the q7s are still quite pricey, are the TDIs still in demand? I would have thought dealers would have a hard time moving them..
Old 07-31-2017, 10:44 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

2011 got the 8spd.. read this if your interested in a TDI: 2009-2015 Audi Q7 TDI forum, buying guide, and FAQ with reviews and yearly differences

I bought mine in April, put money down on it the moment it appeared on the market.. 2 weeks after I put my money down the vehicle disappeared off the Audi dealers inventory, in a panic I called em and made sure they didnt sell it out from under me.. they said they got a half dozen calls on it a day and had to remove it from inventory so there internet sales team wouldn't be wasting so much time on a vehicle that was already sold.. but it was the only one with Air Suspension on the market so I dont know if it was that or the TDI or both that made it so popular.

Speculators are buying up Q7's right now to take the money and put em back on the market.. all good deals are instantly sized upon.. I suspect AFTER the fix has been released there will be a flood of new and used fixed Gen2's released on the market and deals will be available once again... see: https://www.reddit.com/r/tdi/comment...on_most_of_it/

I paid $42k for mine, going to get another ~$5k back once I get the fix.. $37k for a fully loaded diesel Q7 seemed like a good deal to me, I put $13k down on it after turning in my 2.0L TDI and the payments were very reasonable, especially for a luxury vehicle.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 07-31-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

how many miles on yours and year?
Im seeing 40s for approx 35-45k across the nation.
Id pay 45 for a prestige package with air suspension and less than 35k miles

This one is real nice but miles are a little high and dont think it has air suspension.
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=181826392

Last edited by Greg5OH; 07-31-2017 at 11:17 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

2014 w/40k miles, pretty sure it has all options but B&O and S-Line.. 45k miles is not high milage for a Diesel, thats just broken in.. but I'd never get a black vehicle w/black interior, it'd be like sticking your head into an oven.. I'm also not fond of the S-Line package, alcantera headliner w/kids? bah.. bigger, more useless wheels, bah.. the styling is too aggressive IMO, I do like the black optics over chrome but thats about it.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 07-31-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

i know 45k is nothing for a diesel, but i want this next car to be as close to new as possible. Bushings etc start to give out, especially common on audis as im sure you are aware based on your vehicles. The s8 was the newest vehicle we have ever bought with 68k miles on it. had to do bushings, a few seals hoses etc since last september already.
Just want a "new" car.
I like the 21" wheels for the summer, it will get dedicated winter wheel package.
Definitely the black instead of chrome looks awesome.
Black on black will suck, id prefer NOT a black car, as they are impossible to keep clean, we live on a dirt road. My black lexus is a dust magnet, the silver S8 looks clean even when its covered in dust.
the 21" S line wheels are a must for us though!
White or silver would be good. That bronze color is very nice too but quite rare. Pano roof would be great as well!

Definitely hard to find exactly what you want in a used car, but it can be done. such was the case with the s8 with a car that onyl had approx ~350 units ever brought to north america in 08-09 MY. Only thing we had to had to sacrifice was getting silver instead of the desired white exterior.

Last edited by Greg5OH; 07-31-2017 at 11:49 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:48 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Most common issues w/Q7 are mostly Sunroof (drains clogged or rattling), Keyless Doorhandles Failing, Drink Damaged MMI buttons, and Steering Column failing to move up/down.. other than those issues, which are not all that common in the grand scheme of things, it'll go at least 100k miles w/nothing more than tires and brakes, and perhaps a transmission fluid change before 80k.. I would also suggest replacing the HPFP before the #dieselgate warranty expires, most diesel mechanics suggest replacing it ~140k miles.. if it fails and your fuel system is out of warranty your looking at a $10k repair bill (entire fuel system gets contaminated with metal shavings and needs replaced from the tank to the injectors)

My RS6 needed new timing belts every 45k miles, and had a several thousand dollar DIY job brake job every 20k miles.. The required maintenance on the Q7 seems quite quant and cheap compared to most RS/S Cars.

If you really want a new car, then you can wait until after the fix is out and try to ****** up one of the new 2015's that were put on a stop-sale.. but expect to pay MSRP sticker price for that sucker.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 07-31-2017 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 11:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Thanks for the insight. A few weeks ago I did see a few models with 20-30k on them for high 40s, maybe low 50s. Thats a toss up...do I really want to spend an extra 10k for 15-20k less miles? Probably really doesnt matter too much..id do thru those 10k miles in 1 year realistically..
so $40ish k for 40ish k miles seems the norm i should expect.

regarding the dieselgate, if I buy one now from an audi or used car dealer, can I still claim the fix money? Or does one get that only once the fix is approved and the vehicle modified? $5k cash back for the fix?

Quick Reply: Q7 Used Models