Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 TDI Motor Mount Swap

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2022, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 49 Posts
Default Q7 TDI Motor Mount Swap

Has anyone here done a motor mount swap? Mine are getting rough and it's time to do it. I've seen a couple videos but they are poor quality and not english, and I think they were gassers, but it looked like a tight fit to get the topside bolts. On the TDI it looks like totally different bracket setup even though the mounts may be the same. I can barely see the driver side mount. I need to pull the bottom off to see if there is access from the bottom but wanted to see if anyone has been down this road before I start.

Has anyone did this here? Is it pretty straightforward where undo the mount, jack the engine and slip it out, or did you have to pull parts and wrestle with it.

Any tips on best process or tricks would be appreciated.

Last edited by frqflyer; 01-15-2022 at 10:56 AM.
Old 01-15-2022, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

Looked it up in Elsawin and looks like they do everything topside, include the engine lift.

Seems like you can get the RH mount off by removing the airbox. The LH mount they are saying to remove the wheel liner and disconnect the coolant line mounts to get access.

I don't have a pick or all the fancy special rigging tools they list so I think I am going to try jacking it from the bottom with a good old fashion 4x4 support.

I am open for advice if there are any easier ways to do it or things to be mindful of before I tear it apart.
Old 01-24-2022, 12:50 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 253 Likes on 216 Posts

Speaking of the airbox, how is that held in there? Just looking at it, it appears to be one bolt at the front top corner and two studs that pull out of grommets at that bottom. However, It seems like there is something else holding it down low, and I don't want to pull too hard and break something.

Access other than at the top is downright awful in this location.
Old 04-20-2022, 10:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello. We’re your Abel to replace the motor mounts for your TDI. I would be interested in any advice as mine are due too.
Thx.
Sven
Old 04-20-2022, 07:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A note on the airbox: Remove the right front wheel and fender liner to gain full access to remove it.
The following users liked this post:
rotefuesse (04-20-2022)
Old 02-01-2023, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by rotefuesse
Hello. We’re your Abel to replace the motor mounts for your TDI. I would be interested in any advice as mine are due too.
Thx.
Sven
The passenger side is not a big deal. The shop procedure makes it seem like the driver's side is not that bad either. Once you get it in there you realize it is a PITA and I didn't have the fortitude to continue once I got wheel liner off and saw how buried it was and what I was up against to access the bolts and the clearance to get the mounts in and out. I took it an indie who hadn't done a TDI Q7 swap before and he said he wouldn't do it again. I recommend buying the Corteco mounts (which are the OEM but not Audi branded) to save some coin and take them to an indie, get a firm quote in case they haven't done it before because this is not an easy swap like most cars.

If you have a lift, hoist and engine/trans jack and want to test your mettle is the only way I would recommend DIY because even a vet mechanic in a full shop lost his voice swearing at those mounts. Fwiw, I typically do all work on my cars that doesn't involve opening the engine or trans and I deferred on this one.
-Wes- (02-01-2023)
Old 02-01-2023, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

@frqflyer You had me laughing heartily on that comment! I haven't done the engine mounts on mine yet, but there are plenty of other things I have done with it that certainly elicited those responses!

I heard someone say recently, "A typical engineer says, 'if it isn't broken, don't fix it.' A German engineer says, 'If it isn't broken, we haven't built in enough features yet!'"
Old 04-23-2024, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Just to rekindle this thread. I don't seem to hear much threads here on this change.
Doing mine at local workshop now, boy is it a major challenge and convoluted procedure.
It is still in progress, I will elaborate more later as we are still at it.

Mine is 2013, CNRB, done 180k km. So I felt it was timely to do some preventive maintenance.
Anyone care to share their experience renewing this.
Old 04-24-2024, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 723 Likes on 599 Posts

FWIW, changing the motor mounts (hydraulic filled) is not something you do on this car until they either fail and create problems, or the engine is being dropped/lifted for some other issue or service (oil leaks reseal/timing chains, etc.), and thus provides you direct and easy access to the motor mounts.

Only when the motor is out could changing the motor mounts proactively on this car be considered as a preventative maintenance action, IMHO. That's some low-hanging-fruit type stuff, and a smart move to make when you can easily gain access to them.

I've got 209k kilometers/130k miles on my '10 TDI, and motor mounts are not on my mind. I don't worry about those at all...if they go bad, then I'll deal with it.
-Wes- (04-24-2024)