Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

q7 s line paddle shifter steering wheel conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2014, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts
Default q7 s line paddle shifter steering wheel conversion UPDATE YES!

Hi I have a 2012 Q7 S line but it does not have the steering wheel shift option. Is it possible to swap one in to my car and change the programming to make them function?
thanks in advance...

thanks to everyone for the help it is 100% possible to swap to a paddle shifter steering wheel! You do need to re-code the settings to enable them and in my case I converted to the same 4 spoke wheel but with paddle shifters and heat. The heat element will NOT WORK...8^(

Last edited by flynavy; 12-07-2014 at 08:12 PM. Reason: UPDATE
Old 09-30-2014, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

yes.
Old 10-04-2014, 07:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default thanks for the reply..

do you have any helpful insight as to what needs to be changed in order to utilize the shifters and will the heated option work?
Thanks again...sorry I am kind of a **** about the Q7...my last Audi was a B5 S4 Avant!
Old 10-06-2014, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...wheel-2845194/

check out this thread. you need to VAG-COM the paddles to work after the wheel swap if your car did not have them before.
Old 10-09-2014, 08:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I recently put in a 3 spoke wheel with paddles replacing my 4 spoke.

My Q7 has Lane Departure and the 3 spokes do not have the vibration motor in them. I got a error on my cluster for the lane departure fault since i did not plug in a motor.

I found this link where someone retrofitted the lane departure and used a 12v motor. Q7: Retrofit Lane Departure Warning | Audi Forum

I went and purchased this vibration motor from amazon
Robot Check Robot Check

The error went away when i turn on lane assist, but now when it tries to "buzz" the lane assist gives an error.

I tried to register for that outer site, but its been months with no activation(even tried to email them) on the account to see what motor he used.

Anyone here have experience with adding lane departure and what motor you used?

Or know how difficult it is to get the one out of the 4 spoke?
Old 10-20-2014, 10:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

thanks for the reply....mine doesn't have lane departure but I found a new 4 spoke that has paddle shift and heat. The heated part is what I really wanted as I have arthritis in my right thumb from an old injury and the heat REALLY feels good!

Last edited by flynavy; 10-20-2014 at 05:17 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PofC (05-04-2022)
Old 10-20-2014, 12:34 PM
AudiWorld Expert

does this steering wheel style have a heat option?

Old 10-20-2014, 04:37 PM
JKJ
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
does this steering wheel style have a heat option?

Not in the US, no. I think it's possible in other parts of the world, but not here. No idea what else has to change under the skin to make it compatible if you were to find one.

For what it's worth, up until very recently BMW didn't allow heat on their sport wheels on the smaller cars either, so Audi isn't unique here.
Old 10-22-2014, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello everyone, I need some help, I just got a steering wheel for my Q7 and I have a question on what procedure you all use when removing the airbag and the battery:

which of these 3 procedures did you use when removing the air bag:
1. disconnect the battery then proceed to remove the airbag.
2. place trickle charger on the battery terminals under the hood then disconnect the battery and proceed to remove the airbag.
3. leave the battery connected with the ignition off and then remove the air bag.

any and all help is appreciated thanks
Old 10-22-2014, 05:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by arp2nr
Hello everyone, I need some help, I just got a steering wheel for my Q7 and I have a question on what procedure you all use when removing the airbag and the battery: which of these 3 procedures did you use when removing the air bag: 1. disconnect the battery then proceed to remove the airbag. 2. place trickle charger on the battery terminals under the hood then disconnect the battery and proceed to remove the airbag. 3. leave the battery connected with the ignition off and then remove the air bag. any and all help is appreciated thanks

I swapped out the steering wheel, airbag, module and clock spring in my D3 A8. this was all needed to install a heated sport paddle steering wheel.
you really MUST disconnect battery before fooling with bag. I did not need trickle charger
as I did not keep the car unhooked for more than a few hours at a time. if longer you may need to charge.

Quick Reply: q7 s line paddle shifter steering wheel conversion