Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 locks itself with keys inside (and my 2 year old)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2013, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Q7 locks itself with keys inside (and my 2 year old)

Okay.. interesting issue.. about a month ago my wife let me know that when she got home she got out the Q7 and when she closed the drivers door the car beeped and locked... but her purse (with the key) were still inside along with my 2 year old. She had no idea why that happened and when inside got the spare key and unlocked it. I found the story interesting but figured it was just some strange combo of things that happened (and I know if NFC is turned on on her phone it can mess with the cars ability to detect the key if they are next to each other.

I then had it happen to me once in the garage but I didn't take the time to figure out what was going on.. my wife had the extra key on her and we just unlocked it. Well.. I should have taken it to the dealer...

yesterday I get a call from my wife standing in the parking lot of the gym freaking out. She opened the rear door, loaded up our 2 year old, dropped her gym bag (with the key) in the passenger seat, then shut the door so that she could walk around and get in. When the door closed the doors locked, car beeped.. and now the key and our 2 year old were locked in (on a nice 80 degree day) And to make things worse.. the spare key (my key) happened to be in the center console... so both keys were locked inside. Yikes. No clue what is going on. The car shouldn't lock itself and it certainly should lock if the keys are inside.

I called 911 (that is what Audi told me to do) and they came and helped out. Had a tow truck and our local audi dealer show up to help out and they managed to use a pole to hit the trunk-open button on the remote on my key. All is well.. kid is fine as it was early and didn't get all that hot.

I am going to run the car to the dealer so they can figure this out but anyone out there have any clue as to what is going on?.. and how the car would lock itself AND lock with the keys inside? We checked and there is no way anything hit the "lock" button my wife's key in her gym bag.
The following users liked this post:
Texas Wine Country (09-12-2021)
Old 08-08-2013, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

had this happen twice.. both times it was my 2 year old pushing the button with his foot.
Old 08-08-2013, 08:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Never had it lock automatically on me but my daughter always pressed the rear door button and locked the car. Why Audi put only a lock button on the rear door is a huge mistake.

I took the door cards off and unplugged the switches so this would never happen again. You can replace the switch with one that unlocks but I never used them anyway.

Best of luck for what they find. We were in a parking lot also when the doors locked on us with our 2 kids inside. Luckily we managed to talk my 5 year old into unbuckling her car seat(which she had never done before) to get to the front seat and press the unlock button for us.

First time it was on the garage so we had the spare remote.
Old 08-10-2013, 04:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iNfiNkC
Never had it lock automatically on me but my daughter always pressed the rear door button and locked the car. Why Audi put only a lock button on the rear door is a huge mistake.

I took the door cards off and unplugged the switches so this would never happen again. You can replace the switch with one that unlocks but I never used them anyway.

Best of luck for what they find. We were in a parking lot also when the doors locked on us with our 2 kids inside. Luckily we managed to talk my 5 year old into unbuckling her car seat(which she had never done before) to get to the front seat and press the unlock button for us.

Interesting. On my new BMW, the car knows if the keys are inside and won't lock unless keys external to car.
Old 08-10-2013, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 164 Likes on 93 Posts

Originally Posted by Tric
Interesting. On my new BMW, the car knows if the keys are inside and won't lock unless keys external to car.
Not if someone in the car presses the lock button on the door! The Audi knows the keys are in the car, also. The design challenge is the back door lock is easily accessible to a toddler's foot. You do want the car to lock with the keys in the car if you are in it with the keys!

Last edited by weth; 08-10-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Curious also what this could be. We havent had it happen with any of our kids in the car or out anywhere but it has happened time to time in our garage.

We will have the keys in it and every blue moon it will lock itself, and we know for sure there isnt anyone else messing with the other key
Old 08-20-2013, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 74 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by iNfiNkC

Maybe you all know this, but just FYI - unless the childlock button is activated, the doors CAN be unlocked from the back seat. A single pull on the interior door handle unlocks the doors. A second pull then opens the door. If the childlock is activated, then of course that won't work. But if not, that would be easier than having the child unclick the car seat and climb to the front.
Old 09-23-2013, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

This happened to me once. The car (2011 q7 Prestige S-line) opened as I approached it. I opened the rear door and put my briefcase (which contained the key) on the door behind the driver's seat. I then closed the rear door; but the car locked itself and would not allow me to get in. Thankfully I wasn't far away from home and had to get the wife to brig over the spare key so I could get in. I'm always super-careful now to ensure that I don't leave the key in the car with me outside!
Old 09-23-2013, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This just happened to my wife and 2 yr old son last week. She set her bag down with the key inside on the front seat, then loaded my son into his car seat. As she walked around to the driver's door he locked the car with his foot. It was about 95 degrees outside (god knows how hot inside the car), and despite his best efforts to unlock himself from his car seat, the little wasn't able to get the chest buckle undone, so my wife had to call 911. An ambulance and fire truck showed up, and as they struggled to slim jim the lock basically told my wife if they couldn't get it open in the next couple of minutes, they would have to break the window. Luckily they were able to get it open without breaking anything, and my son, although drenched in sweat from head to toe, was fine.

iNfiNkC - what do you mean by door cards? Do you have any pics of what you did? I would like to prevent this from ever happening again.

Thanks!
Old 09-23-2013, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

I keep a spare key here.

http://www.hitchsafe.com/

Quick Reply: Q7 locks itself with keys inside (and my 2 year old)