Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 Best All Season Tire Money Can Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2016, 11:43 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello there. New to this discussion and new to the board.

I've had my 2015 Q7 Prestige SLine since February (bought used with 5k miles).

I have a couple of quick questions. I have the 21inch wheels with 295/35(I believe)/R21s on it. I forget the brand of the original tire but it was down to the wear indicators with just over 15k miles on the car. Is this normal with the factory supplied tire?

Also, I've replaced the tires with the Conti DWS 06. Given good maintenance practices, how many miles should I expect to get out of the set?
Old 08-01-2017, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I have 28,000 miles on my Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires. I probaby have 2k - 5k tire life left. To share my experience:
Rain Traction - Excellent
Handling - Great / sharp
Snow - Decent in light snow for all season tires
Wear - Good / Even (much better than the original Pirelli OEM)
Noice - Ok (Quiet on regular roads but on concrete they are bit noisy. Around 25k the tires are starting to get more noisy)
Comfort - Ok (I wish they were a bit smoother but it might be a reflection of the Q7's steel suspension and the terrible roads in Michigan)
Rim Protection - Ok (There is a rubber lip to protect the rim but unfortunately it hasn't helped me much. These rims are magnets for curb rash. i doubt any tire can prevent it.)

I run 40 psi and have rotated them three times. Would I buy them again? Yes.
With that said, I am contemplating Continental DSW 06 to see if I can get a quieter and smoother ride. Anyone have thoughts about Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus VS DSW 06?
Old 09-20-2017, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Audi Vader
I have 28,000 miles on my Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires. I probaby have 2k - 5k tire life left. To share my experience:
Rain Traction - Excellent
Handling - Great / sharp
Snow - Decent in light snow for all season tires
Wear - Good / Even (much better than the original Pirelli OEM)
Noice - Ok (Quiet on regular roads but on concrete they are bit noisy. Around 25k the tires are starting to get more noisy)
Comfort - Ok (I wish they were a bit smoother but it might be a reflection of the Q7's steel suspension and the terrible roads in Michigan)
Rim Protection - Ok (There is a rubber lip to protect the rim but unfortunately it hasn't helped me much. These rims are magnets for curb rash. i doubt any tire can prevent it.)

I run 40 psi and have rotated them three times. Would I buy them again? Yes.
With that said, I am contemplating Continental DSW 06 to see if I can get a quieter and smoother ride. Anyone have thoughts about Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus VS DSW 06?
I just replaced my Pirelli Scorpion Verde All Season Plus tires with the same tire. I got 27,000 miles out of the first set. I could have squeezed out another couple thousand miles but they were getting too noisy. Plus I received some warranty rebate that incented me to stick with the same tire.
Old 09-21-2017, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Our 2011 on 20" wheels has had the original Pirelli Scorpion Verdes, two sets of Continental DWS, and currently has a set of Pirelli Scorpion Verde plus. The original Pirelli's went about 32000 miles. The two sets of DWS went about 35000 miles. The current Pirelli SV+ Have about 12000 miles on them and look new. I expect they would go 40000 but our Q7 is TDI and will have to go back before these are done..
The Contis are quieter and smoother, but the Pirelli's are crisper and handle a bit better. It's a preference thing. I prefer the new Pirelli SV+ but it is a close call.
Old 09-21-2017, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I see they were mentioned above, the Cooper Discover H/T Plus. They can be had for $114 each right now (in-person pickup from Walmart, then installed at your choice of tire ship). These have a great-looking tread and they may be made in USA (as Cooper is USA) but I can't confirm. These seem to be popular with the Q7's twin brother Touareg crowd.

Our stock Pirelli are down to 4/16 now at 19K (evenly worn!?), with winter rapidly approaching so we're looking to replace soon. We are not aggressive drivers--I doubt they will have the at-limits handling characteristics of other pricier tires, but they should be a good fit for us, and they spec the same as OEM except one less speed rating (118mph instead of 130?).
Old 09-21-2017, 11:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I went with the 285-45-20 Contisportcontact 5 SUV and is very happy with the results on my 3.0 TDI
Old 09-22-2017, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Just put a set of DWS06 on our 2014 TDI. Called the wife to ask how the drive home went...smooth on I-5 and much quieter she said.

Check around the different Audi Dealers in your area. Carlsbad had much cheaper ($30-$40 each) tires than San Diego or Temecula. We used the Audi Tire Center website since it is "All Included" pricing instead of getting hit with mount/balance/weights fees.

Grey
Old 09-22-2017, 06:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Our 2013 we are picking up tomorrow has some fresh contintental cross contacts on it but once those wear out I will be getting these. Look great and reviews are good too.
I have a set of 37" cooper st maxx on my 06 f350 crewcab and they are wearing excellent, tough construction (air down to 15 psi and rock crawl it).

Just recently put michelin pilot sport a/s3 + on the S8. wet and dry grip is fantastic but man they are harsh, and LOUD. 63mph terrible drone, had one throw a belt at 5k miles, replaced under warranty, hard to balance, and 72mph also has a small vibration through the steering wheel. Issue was not present on the old pilot super sports or winter tires. Paid good money for supposedly the best tire in the UHPAS sector. At least the wear seems good on them.

I am a big fan of coopers, they are a very underrated tire i think

Originally Posted by DoubleBayou
These have done it for me Cooper Discoverer H/T Plus
It would really take something drastic to get me to look at anything else now. I have had Bridge's, Goody's. I have a winter set of Nitto Terra Grappler's for hunting season and they are awesome for that purpose. But for my everyday drivers these Cooper's are tops for me. Very quiet and all season tread but with a moderately aggressive pattern.
Old 09-23-2017, 05:52 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You guys seem ok running V-rateds instead of the recommended/OEM Y-rateds and don't say, "well I don't drive that fast anyway" because there's much more to the speed rating than speed.
Old 09-23-2017, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by a62.7t4ceo
You guys seem ok running V-rateds instead of the recommended/OEM Y-rateds and don't say, "well I don't drive that fast anyway" because there's much more to the speed rating than speed.
My 2015 Q7 door sticker says 'H' rating not 'Y'
Y rating is 186 miles per hour, V rating is 149 miles per hour and H rating is 130 miles per hour.
The other important factor is load level. Here is a link that describes the ratings -- https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiret....jsp?techid=35

Quick Reply: Q7 Best All Season Tire Money Can Buy?