Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 4-pin towing adapter

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 02:51 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Q7 4-pin towing adapter

My Q7 has the tow package, but the electrical trailer wiring is not 100% there. There is a blank cap where the trailer should plug into the vehicle. I took out the 4 screws and pulled the cap off, and there *is* a 7-pin base. Wiring is there, it just needs a small part to finish the job. Of course Audi can get me the part, but I'd like to not spend the extra money for Audi parts when a 3rd party part should work fine.

This looks like it would do the trick:
Amazon Amazon

And amazon claims it will fit the Q5, but.... will it? Does anyone have any advice? I'm not sure it will fit.

Pics of the existing wiring on my Q7:

Side view

Old 02-26-2022, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

"And amazon claims it will fit the Q5" should have said "And amazon claims it will fit the Q7"

(I can't find a way to edit my original post, is that something only paid members get to do?)
Old 02-26-2022, 05:45 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 721 Likes on 597 Posts
Default Trailer tow setup

Originally Posted by eddified
"And amazon claims it will fit the Q5" should have said "And amazon claims it will fit the Q7"

(I can't find a way to edit my original post, is that something only paid members get to do?)
What that means (not having the terminated hookup that trailer wire plugs into) most likely is that someone added the aftermarket version of the OE tow kit, although it could be factory and just never used (get the window sticker from Audi, as you want to know if it's installed at the factory, which includes upgraded radiator cooling fans/shroud). You can get the same exact Hopkins 7-pin (RV style) Audi sells, or for a few more dollars you can buy a combo with the 7pin + the 4/5pin generic trailer output connector to give you more flexibility. Also if it was a factory install, you won't need to 'code' the car for towing setup; it's already done. If it was installed aftermarket, then it may not be coded to car yet...if nothing works when you put the required electrical connectors on (no brake light or no any lights) and hook up a trailer harness to test it, then the car's not coded for towing yet.

If you tow a trailer with LED brake lights (most any new trailer, RV, or U-haul rental trailer these days), then you will require the Curt LED adapter (under $20) for the Q7s 7-pin output. The Curt adapter plugs into Q7s 7-pin, and then outputs to a 4/5pin connector to match-up to a standard trailer wiring configuration...this adapter is what makes the trailers LED brake lights function correctly and not throw codes in the car that the lights are out on the trailer...also converting from 7pin to the 4/5pin output.

Last edited by '10Q7TDI_Prestige'; 02-26-2022 at 05:50 PM.
Old 02-27-2022, 07:39 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

That’s normal, for some freakin reason when you bought the tow package it didn’t include the plug in to actually use it.

Curt and Pollak also make the 7 way socket you need, I got my Pollak on Amazon.

that socket you found looks like it will work.
Old 03-10-2022, 11:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yes I have the factory tow package. The one I linked on Amazon did not fit. The holes didn’t line up. (The 4 holes were farther apart than the 4 holes in the bracket on my Q7).

You’d think by 2017, the Q7 would be able to handle LED trailer lights without a special adapter.

I can’t find what I need.
Old 03-10-2022, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't tow that often but once or twice per year. I am sure there are several options out there. But this is what i bought and I don't have any issues so far.

Amazon Amazon
Old 03-10-2022, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

This is what I have used on two Q7's.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B6NQHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000B6NQHW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M18QTHY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M18QTHY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image?ie=UTF8&th=1

The following users liked this post:
eddified (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 07:10 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Awesome — what year of Q7 do you have ? The shape looks correct — but the Amazon one I linked in the original post also looked like the right shape.

Originally Posted by Pothole5000
Old 03-10-2022, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by eddified
Awesome — what year of Q7 do you have ? The shape looks correct — but the Amazon one I linked in the original post also looked like the right shape.
I have used that Pollak plug on two Q7s. It fits and works well.

The following users liked this post:
eddified (03-10-2022)
Old 03-10-2022, 07:44 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I pulled the trigger on these. If they don't work, I'll be sure to say something.

Thanks guys

Originally Posted by Pothole5000
Originally Posted by J. Patterson
I have used that Pollak plug on two Q7s. It fits and works well.

Quick Reply: Q7 4-pin towing adapter