Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Q7 with 4.2 - Oil Leaks

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2015, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having trouble seeing the leak on the first picture. It might be the oil filter housing gasket.
Old 12-22-2015, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 61 Likes on 51 Posts

I was never really able to get a good look at the leak, I tried using a mirror, my cell phone...just can't see it. The picture I posted just shows where the oil is flowing....down onto the catalytic convertor and then I get smoke and stink. I would have thought the Q7 would be big enough to permit some working room around the motor - but nope. I may be able to fix this leak without pulling the engine, but I will have to remove the fuel system, intake, and surrounding items to get enough room to swing a wrench back there. I've always worked on my vehicles but must admit I'm a bit frustrated with the Q7.
Attached Images  
Old 12-22-2015, 02:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Here are a couple moore views....red arrow pointing towards what I think is the source of the leak.
Attached Images   

Last edited by testarossaguy; 12-22-2015 at 03:52 PM.
Old 12-22-2015, 04:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

oh yeah, i see what you are talking about now. that is frustrating. do yourself a favor and buy a usb endoscope camera off ebay for $10. I got one coming in the mail so I can see where my rear washer fluid line is broken (somewhere underneath the ECU...ugh).

it could be that rear cover. I would spray some brake cleaner on it to wash away the oil, and see how it is coming back, if there's anything above or just straight leaking from that gasket.
Old 12-22-2015, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I did borrow a scope from a friend of mine, but even with that didn't any better views that the pics I posted. Before I could even begin to work on this thing, I need to remove the air intakes, but before I can remove those I need to remove a lot of vacuum hoses and coolant lines, and possibly also part of the fuel system. You just can't see or reach anything at the back of the engine. I've searched online but haven't really found anything on changing out the timing chain cover gaskets.
Old 12-23-2015, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Here's the instructions to do the covers. You can do it without removing the engine, but you have to remove the plenum.

https://mega.nz/#!7YgFXYpR!LtEQnx_7O...7Zsouj2rLh0ZyI
Old 12-23-2015, 04:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thank You So Much M3 NINJA for that information, it's not a fun job but at least it is achievable. I will tackle this after the holidays. Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Old 12-23-2015, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

No problem. Let us know how it goes.
Old 09-13-2017, 10:38 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Actually it is a very long process

Originally Posted by testarossaguy
I agree $8,000 is a ridiculous amount to charge and I can't imagine how they come up with that number. Yesterday the weather was nice and sunny so I opened the hood and looked all over the passenger's side of the motor for potential oil leaks but it is so bloody cramped in there I couldn't see anything! Next I'm thinking I will pull off the right-front wheel and remove the inner fender panels if possible....to try and expose the engine a bit.
Actually the mechanic will need to pull the engine and transmission to reseal the upper and lower oil pans they are sealed with silicon sealer. The shop labor tool shows 24 labor hours. The local dealer resealed the lower pan then the upper pan started leaking so I got to pay to removal of the again of the engine and transmission. I am in to the oil leak repair about 9k due to a cracked casting in the upper oil pan
Old 09-13-2017, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the last year and a half, I’ve been through my share of oil leaks; oil filter housing, lower oil pan and oil separator. The big daddy of ‘em all, the upper oil pan, has reared its ugly head. I have a 2007 4.2 that was purchased in ’06 and it has been a great ride. I don’t see shelling out $$$ to have it fixed. So, I’m going to deal with checking the oil level at every fill up and leave the territory markings on the street and not on the driveway or garage floor.

Quick Reply: Q7 with 4.2 - Oil Leaks