Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Power Steering Fluid Change Timeline?

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2021, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts

I just do a few siphons and refills. This method is not as complete, but after a few times most of the fluid will be new. And it is easier this way for me.
Old 01-24-2021, 08:42 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

friggen pump is leaking now....LOL...new project....did not even get to flushing it. I add some fluid last week as it was low, now leak....
NO, it was oil. LOL. I am so happy. The crush washer cracked. Never saw that before. Put new one on today after draining oil.....ughh. Was going to reuse the oil but I did not have a real clean pan large enough, I bought a 7 quart one, and that was not going to work without a huge mess. It is all fixed.

Let it run for an hour and checked again before putting the panel back on .

So happy now.

Mike

Last edited by Dr.Aronis; 01-25-2021 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-24-2021, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

manual ordered, I knew it would come to this....eventually.

Mike
Old 01-24-2021, 11:46 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts

Does FCP Euro sell a pump seal kit? I did not seem to find it for Q7 but for other models like $5.21! Maybe FCP can tell you more.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...kit-026198049b

Old 01-25-2021, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Steelcoil
Does FCP Euro sell a pump seal kit? I did not seem to find it for Q7 but for other models like $5.21! Maybe FCP can tell you more.

https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/aud...kit-026198049b
Yes I saw that kit, and that was the route I was going to try. But luckily it was just oil leaking. The New crush ring cracked.

Mike
Old 01-25-2021, 12:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

get yourself an extractor or a fumoto valve and never worry about those crush rings again..
The following users liked this post:
'10Q7TDI_Prestige' (02-06-2021)
Old 02-06-2021, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 724 Likes on 599 Posts

Ok, so ordered 6 Liters of the Liqui Moly steering fluid (changing out both our Q7s as part of their 100K miles service), which is a heck of a deal from FCP Euro, BTW, for less than $10/L. Pumped out the reservoir with my handy-dandy manual fluid pump, removed the one anchor bolt to be able to access the hose clamp/remove the hose...pretty straightforward as the hose itself is long enough to simply dunk the top of it into a large container with narrow top. I used an empty pine-sol jug. You definitely want to anchor/tie down the return hose in whatever container you use to keep the line pressure from blowing it out the top.

I ended up using nearly every drop of the three liters of hydraulic fluid budgeted between flushing it and refilling the reservoir to the proper level after reconnecting the line and making sure no air got trapped, although I will likely have a bit of spare fluid leftover on next car now that I know what's what. I couldn't find any record of the fluid being changed prior

ADVICE: Remember to put a layer of paper towels /shop towels down under the lines when you are removing the return line, and of course use a baster or other suction device to remove the fluid from the reservoir prior to removing the return hose. Also, screw the top back on reservoir while manipulating the reservoir to remove the return hose, as there will still be some old fluid in there to dribble out if you don't. Have extra shop towels/paper towels on hand for spills and such, and have a plan for the container you are going to put the used fluid in until you can drop it by an auto store for recycling. One feature I feel made it easier for me was the 'pull-out dispenser straw' (most of their product have this feature), that makes it easy to turn the bottle upside down and directly dispense it into the reservoir or 'target area' with excellent control of the flow and without spilling any of it in the process, while not needing to use funnels or other fluid level blocking pouring aids.