Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Power Steering Fluid Change Timeline?

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2020, 01:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Power Steering Fluid Change Timeline?

Got all my fluids changed except power steering. I have a 2015 Q7 and was wondering if anyone has done this, recommending a timeline and what fluid to use. Thanks!

Paging Dreadlocks lol...
Old 12-31-2020, 08:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

probably before you hit 100k would be good, if you got an Oil Extractor its pretty simple.. suck the oil outta the res, pull the return line off it(its the smaller line) and plug that hole in the PS res with a paper towel.. then I used some hose and a coupler on the return line to go out into a bucket sitting on the ground.. have someone fire up the engine and back and forth the wheels as you keep adding fluid to the res and watching the output.. when it pumps out clear new fluid for a full turn to both extremes shut down, hook it back up and top off the res.. the important bit is don't let it suck in any air or the hydraulic pump will start making foam.

I've been using Pentosin CHF for power steering fluid in my VW and Audi's and have been completely happy with it.
The following 2 users liked this post by dreadlocks:
Chuck the Duck (12-31-2020), uberwgn (01-25-2021)
Old 12-31-2020, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks Deredlocks! I used that technique on my jeep. Can you tell me how many liters to took and was it 202 or 11s?
Old 12-31-2020, 11:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

11S IIRC, the bottle should have VW/Audi listed on it.. I've not done the Q7 yet so I dunno how much it'll take.. lucky for me with a fleet of VAG vehicles an extra container or two of fluids sitting on shelf will get used eventually.
Old 01-01-2021, 09:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I did this flush on my '09. The pump pulled the fluid out of the reservoir quickly, maybe a liter in about 2 seconds. I would have gone through a lot of liters fully turning the wheels lock to lock.
Old 01-02-2021, 02:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by tigerwillow1
I did this flush on my '09. The pump pulled the fluid out of the reservoir quickly, maybe a liter in about 2 seconds. I would have gone through a lot of liters fully turning the wheels lock to lock.
Thanks, I hear it will drain in about 2 seconds. Did you do the interrupted loop method (true flush) or the turkey baster method and how many liters did you use?
Old 01-02-2021, 09:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I don't know the scientific names for the flush methods. I emptied the reservoir and ran the fluid return line into a bucket, plugged the hole in the reservoir, filled the reservoir with clean fluid and had my wife start the engine and turn the wheels while I topped the reservoir. I've done this multiple times in the urS4 and expected the same smooth operation. Instead I was immediately yelling "shut it off" in a panic as the first bottle of fluid was empty and the intake was close to sucking air. I was more prepared with the next 2 bottles of fluid but never had a chance to go full lock both ways on the rack. I bought 3 liters of Pentosin CHF202 and used 2-1/2 of them. My notes say the reservoir holds about a half liter and drains in 2 seconds, so it's really about 4 seconds for the pump to draw a full liter. The old fluid was very dirty but not sludgy at 100k miles. I don't know if the '15 would use the same fluid as my '09. I remember having a hard time deciding 202 vs. 11S.
The following users liked this post:
Chuck the Duck (01-02-2021)
Old 01-14-2021, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Did the exchange, and it does eat the whole reservoir in about 2 seconds. I operated the vehicle myself just because I knew I had to be quick.

Start and immediately went to the right quickly, and shut down. The fluid was gone, no bubbles though. Filled, turned on engine went 2/3 of the way to the left and off. Only a little bit left. Did one more time and finished turn to left and return to center.

Reconnected return line and filled. I got away with just under 2l and the last of the fluid in the 2L coke bottle (return catch) looked clean. I could see this easily require 3 bottles.

Fluid looked a little murky but not very bad (at 83k). Took some pictures but surface glare causes pictures to not show differences that well.

Short Writeup (with approx period)Maintenance Period – every 80k miles /8 years

~2.5 L of Pentosin CHF 11s (used 2

1. Pump out Hydraulic Oil Container

2. Disconnect Return line to container (smaller line, #8 in figure) and place in hose.

3. Cover Return Line hose connection hole in Oil Container and fill with CHF11

4. Have an assistant be in the driver’s seat…
BEFORE STARTING THE VEHICLE HAVE THE ASSISTANT BE READY TO IMMEDIATELY SHUT THE ENGINE DOWN. Once on, the engine will drain the reservoir quickly (~4 seconds) so the assistant must be ready to turn the engine off on a moment’s notice.

5. Turn the engine on and have the assistant immediately turn the wheel to one extreme and back. Observe the rate of drain and tell the assistant to shut the car down. This will happen quickly.

6. Refill Oil Container and have assistant repeat step 5, but with wheel in the opposite direction.

7. Repeat #5 and #6 until the fluid coming out looks like new fluid.

8. Reconnect Hose, refill system and close it. Turn on engine and turn to both extremes twice.

9. Shutdown the engine and top off what it needed.

The following 2 users liked this post by Chuck the Duck:
das1997 (01-22-2022), dreadlocks (01-14-2021)
Old 01-16-2021, 12:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

This thread could not be timely enough. I was just going to start looking into doing this flush LOL. Looks pretty easy. Next weekend's project.

Mike

Old 01-17-2021, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I watched a few Youtubes on this and have two questions.

Has anyone done the Put front Up on Jack stands and NOT start the engine method? Just turn the steering wheel lock to lock to pump out the fluid?

And....my idea.....instead of disconnecting the tubing, I am going to see if I can fish a smaller tube into the reservoir and into the return line. Perhaps it can be done without disconnecting anything. LOL. I will try this later. Going to empty the reservoir with a turkey baster and then see the size of the inner diameter of that line.

Mike

Quick Reply: Power Steering Fluid Change Timeline?