Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Potential buyer questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2021, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential buyer questions

Hi folks,

New here and am looking for some advice in a potential Q7 purchase.
Dear wife and I are looking to 'graduate' from our Honda CRV up to something a bit bigger and more comfortable.

The Q7 has my attention because it has a nice size rear cargo area for our two dogs - 80lb Lab and a Mini-Aussie pup.
Also like the fact that they can tow up to 7000lbs'ish.
Our future towing activities will be a smaller travel trailer or tent trailer.

I like the looks of the 2015 era Q7 a bit better than the '16 +, but it's not a deal-breaker. The newer version has a more powerful engine?
Also a bit intrigued by the TDI version because they seem to be priced "to go" as a result of the emissions issue.

Looking for any suggestions as to what I should look for, and if there's any real world reliability issues.
We live in an area surrounded by mountains so not sure if the gas version would be overly taxed in the mountains with a trailer in tow.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 01-28-2021, 07:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

If you wanna tow in the mountains you want a diesel or a v8, and air suspension would be great if you can find it.

Old 01-28-2021, 08:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

What year CRV?
My 70 pound lab hits his head standing in the back of the Q7 but not my wife's 2008 CRV, the tapering roof line on the Q7 is not a practical as the square shape of the CRV even though its a larger car. Last weekend I had to run our old dryer to the recycle in the CRV because I couldn't get it in the back of the Q7.

I've never driven a MK2 but less weight and more power it should be better driving.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:40 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pothole5000
What year CRV?
My 70 pound lab hits his head standing in the back of the Q7 but not my wife's 2008 CRV, the tapering roof line on the Q7 is not a practical as the square shape of the CRV even though its a larger car. Last weekend I had to run our old dryer to the recycle in the CRV because I couldn't get it in the back of the Q7.

I've never driven a MK2 but less weight and more power it should be better driving.
Good point on the headroom. She can stand up no problem in our '13 CRV.
Wonder how a salesman would react if I say, "Yeah, I'm interested in it but I need to see if my dog will fit back here."

I have a utility trailer for trips to the recycler, thank goodness.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

I've got a 120lb Pyrneese/Aussie mix, he loves it in the back with his own aircon vents, sunshade, loading and unloading mode and best of all the dog fart extractor (rear sunroof vent)
Also got a potato-shaped Corgi that rides with him too, they have traveled all over the country and down all sorts of trails back there in luxury.

Labs hit their heads on everything, its what they do..

Last edited by dreadlocks; 01-28-2021 at 09:45 PM.
Old 01-28-2021, 09:58 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

"Labs hit their heads on everything, its what they do.." No truer words have been spoken.

The diesel treating you well?
How does it like "in town" driving? I had a Ram 3500 diesel and made sure I gave it a good run to avoid anything clogging up.
Old 01-28-2021, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

been smooth sailing for me the last 4y, this year going to be the first big out-of-pocket service on new tires and air pump, but I been ridden of all that troublesome emissions stuff so I can drive it all over the place without anything clogging up.

Stock its not a very good city vehicle, these Diesels wanna run and if you keep it stock and are not really capable of driving it ~20-30min trips at least then you should be strongly be looking at a Gasoline or Hybrid setup, nowadays they easily exceed a diesel of a decade ago in grocery-getting and city commuting.
Old 01-29-2021, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a 2015 S line which has the 333 hp variant. I have not seen any issues 'in the mountains' with it. If you must have more power you can get a tune and a new pulley for the Supercharger.

The engine is a very common Audi unit, so maintenance is well documented on youtube and such so DIY is possible. More importantly the dealers have much experience with it.

Very comfortable seats. Room for 6 or more, specially with kids. Sits 4 adults very comfortable.

Our two labs love the rear....plenty of room, plus the rear sun roof opens (pops up).

Towing capacity is 6000 pounds.

Consider an extended warrantee.

Mike

Old 01-29-2021, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Towing capacity is 5,500 lbs, and 6,600 lbs with towing package. I highly suggest finding one with auto leveling air suspension and factory towing package.
Old 01-29-2021, 10:35 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by AE10
Towing capacity is 5,500 lbs, and 6,600 lbs with towing package. I highly suggest finding one with auto leveling air suspension and factory towing package.
That is the plan.
From my reading it looks like if it has the Class 3 hitch on it then it has the towing package. No 7 pin wiring connector though....weird.
Definitely would want the auto levelling, if one could be found.

Quick Reply: Potential buyer questions