Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Please help, infant seats Q7

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 03:56 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Please help, infant seats Q7

We are expecting our first little one this year, and i have been doing some research around infant seats (brand/models). I found that the best place to have these installed is in the middle of the second row. Could anyone please recommend a brand and model seat they have used for infants in their Q7's? Is it also possible to use the LATCH in the middle of the back row for the infant seat, or only seat belts? Thanks in advance!
Old 08-17-2011, 04:07 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you can use latch points for the center if you do not have any other seats in the second row... in total you can fit four child seats with latch in the car if you have third row seating. five if you use seatbelt for the center seat.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:59 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

You'll find the center position is the best place for an infant in any vehicle. In the Q7, this will limit your ease of access to the third row, chances are though, you won't be using your 3rd row. If so, you could just place the baby seat to one of the side positions. We currently have ours behind the driver seat - makes it easier for my older son to exit the car during drop offs at school etc.. Also I find the passenger side 2nd row seat is easier to slide forward/access the 3rd row because it's not attached to the center section - I'm new to my Q, I could be wrong.

As far as baby seats go, pretty much any seat on the market should fit. The interior space of the Q is roomy compared to many other vehicles. During the first couple of months, you'll use the infant carrier that you'll click in and out of - which the base will be latched at all times. Only annoying thing about it, they use a small metal ball inside this level indicator on the base, and when the seat is not in place, the metal ball bounces around and can get annoying. Soon enough your child will grow out of the carrier and you'll be ready for the baby seats. We have two Britax seats, a roundabout and a marathon. They both do well, the marathon is bigger/taller than the roundabout. I do notice the latch has to click on upside down in order to fit inside the hard plastic surrounding the latch point -not a big deal at all, the latch points are so easy to locate. I would do some research on the best baby seat now for safety, the Britax and Recaro seats are excellent, and we've used them over the past 6 years and work well in all our vehicles. When you move up to a booster, that just sits on top of the seat - no latch points, only uses the seat belt, and you would definitely go with either the side locations for that. We have a recaro booster that is nice and very supportive, there's also an integrated speaker system in the head rest of the Nintendo dsi or video systems get too annoying.

One product I would recommend is the Prince Lionheart 2 stage Seat Saver, it is thick and sturdy and looks nice. We've used different items to protect the seats, cheap seat savers that are too flexible, and even a folded bath towel that will help the bottom, but the Lionheart has a detachable back to protect the seat back.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:00 AM
AudiWorld Expert

i have a like new infant seat w/ two bases and sleep sack, two rain guards and mirror etc. i was going to place it on ebay but if you want it it's yours for a song...

matches the interior perfectly (black base, black seat and black exterior but interior is the same silver colour as the headliner in the Q) and and fits well in any area of the Q7, the few times we did use it we placed the seat in the center and did not have any complaints.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by iconoclast
i have a like new infant seat w/ two bases and sleep sack, two rain guards and mirror etc. i was going to place it on ebay but if you want it it's yours for a song...

matches the interior perfectly (black base, black seat and black exterior but interior is the same silver colour as the headliner in the Q) and and fits well in any area of the Q7, the few times we did use it we placed the seat in the center and did not have any complaints.
Wait...so all I have to do is sing you you! Done. Can't promise you will like it though.
Old 08-18-2011, 11:58 AM
AudiWorld Expert

yes, but depends on how well you sing.
Old 08-18-2011, 12:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Don't quote me on this, but I recall reading in the manual that you aren't supposed to use LATCH in the center position. I think you only use the LATCH points if you are going to go driver side or passenger side.
Old 08-18-2011, 03:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

True... we had our Car seat checked by local fire department and was told to use either driver or passenger side instead of the middle.

LATCH is only supported on the both sides, not in the center.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:06 PM
AudiWorld Expert

odd, i wonder why audi put a latch tether point in the center if they did not want the seat there.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

maybe yours in different but I only have latch points on the left and right side seats.. nothing for the center. I use a chicco car seat for my newborn and a recarro seat for my 3 yr old. never a problem. Actually going to be buying another recarro now that the littlest one is outgrowing the baby seat

Quick Reply: Please help, infant seats Q7