Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Overfilled: 2018 Q7 PRESTIGE TOOK IT IN FOR OIL CHANGE NOW ITS SHAKING ,MISFIRE

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2021, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overfilled: 2018 Q7 PRESTIGE TOOK IT IN FOR OIL CHANGE NOW ITS SHAKING ,MISFIRE

2018 Q7 prestige so I took my Q7 to A Mobile 1 oil change center . When finished turn on and immediate my Q7 started shaking the worker said it would go away in a few mins after driving it so pulled out and right way the engine light comes on says drive slow and take it to the nearest Audi dealer so drove around back to the oil center explain that the shaking is getting worse and to please double check the oil level and make sure if the filter is the right one for this Q7 .
When we check the oil level on the screen it said Reduce oil level so at this point my guess was that he over filled it or not enough oil . So he drained it filled back up and still shaking . He connected the scanner and codes show misfire on cylinders 1,3,6 .. so I’ve never had any codes before and never had any issues or check engine lights before always been up to date with my maintenance so the odds of taking my Q7 in for an oil change and coming out not drivable is to coincidence . There is definitely some he touch or something if anyone has experience this please chime in ... I left my Q7 there overnight he said he would get a master Mancanic to get it check out .
Old 01-07-2021, 09:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Valencia
right way the engine light comes on says drive slow and take it to the nearest Audi dealer
You shoulda listened to your vehicle and sent them the bill after, but your in the wrong forum nobody here is familiar with your vehicle.. if I hadda guess he did something to the coils when taking the oil filter out.

A corner Lube shop is the equivalent of hiring random neighbor kids to change your oil, only difference is they got their own tools now.. anyone worth anything at all would not be at the very, very, very bottom of the industry.. Taking a German vehicle to one of these places is like taking a steak to McDonalds and asking em to cook it for you.. there's a bigger chance they gonna screw it up than they will succeed.

Audi changes the oil from the top with an extractor through the dipstick, its so easy you can easily do this yourself w/much less chance of screwing it up than any random lube shop will, tools pay for them selves quick.. about 25y ago I was young and dumb and took my German car to a lube shop in the middle of winter for the very first time, and guess who pulled out with a check engine light too? (they broke oil pressure sensor off if your curious) never again, done it myself ever since.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 01-07-2021 at 09:53 PM.
The following users liked this post:
uberwgn (01-12-2021)
Old 01-08-2021, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Sorry about your misfortune. take it to Audi get it fixed and sent them the bill.

I have been using an extractor on all my cars for years. quick no mess and compared to audi or even the german indy shop that i trust with my cars.

After about 3 changes with even the top oil you are your money back on the extractor.
The following users liked this post:
'10Q7TDI_Prestige' (02-09-2021)
Old 01-10-2021, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Taking any car to one of those quick lube places is just asking for trouble. They are notorious for doing stupid things like draining the oil and forgetting to put fresh oil back in the car. It definitely sounds like they did something that affected the wiring for the coil packs, although I have no idea why they would be doing something that could mess with the wiring. They probably dislodged something when they pulled the engine cover off to get to the filter. There's a reason these guys are called grease monkeys.
The following 2 users liked this post by captain_video:
frqflyer (01-15-2021), uberwgn (01-12-2021)
Old 01-12-2021, 05:16 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Drive System Failure

I’m stuck at the Audi dealership this very second. I’m on a road trip and drove 600 miles today. Stopped overnight and started my 2017 Q7 only to find the engine sputtering and the “Drive System Failure” and engine light come on. Had the car immediately towed to the dealership.

Dealer just called to tell me that my oil level was 5 quarts overfilled. And car was smoking severely all over their shop. There service tech supposedly sucked out 5 extra quarts from engine. I said “not possible”. Had oil changed 1500 miles ago.

Service says that they got codes for numerous cylinder misfires. I’m waiting to speak with their service manager. I thought they had the wrong car or something.

Just does not make sense.
Old 01-12-2021, 04:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like they only drained a couple quarts out of it and then refilled it. Either that or they just forgot to drain it at all. Those quick-lube shops just emphasize why it pays to DIY your own oil changes. It's simply not worth the hassle trying to get shops to fix their mistakes.
Old 01-12-2021, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

But the last oil change was 1500 miles ago. A little long ago for the engine to start fouling now. Eh?

Just picked up the Q7 from dealer. They said that it was now only one or two quarts over. Ok, then what happened?

Replaced plugs and scoped the cylinders to see oil build up. Runs fine now.
Old 01-12-2021, 06:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

sounds like your extended run on the highway with the overfilled engine started puking oil out back into the intake via the PCV and fouled out the plugs and other things.

overfill failures are slower than underfill failures, 1500 miles was pretty quick tbh.. overfills are more likely to ruin some sensors or blow out some gaskets and make a leak than starve something of lubrication and really do damage like the inverse.

Last edited by dreadlocks; 01-12-2021 at 06:08 PM.
Old 02-08-2021, 08:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 724 Likes on 599 Posts
Default USE LUBE SHOPS AT YOUR OWN PERIL!

Originally Posted by captain_video
Taking any car to one of those quick lube places is just asking for trouble. They are notorious for doing stupid things like draining the oil and forgetting to put fresh oil back in the car. It definitely sounds like they did something that affected the wiring for the coil packs, although I have no idea why they would be doing something that could mess with the wiring. They probably dislodged something when they pulled the engine cover off to get to the filter. There's a reason these guys are called grease monkeys.
So, I've now bought two Q7 TDIs, a '10 and a '15. Both cars were 'serviced' prior to sale by the selling used-car dealer, and both were filled with the incorrect type of oil. On the first car they filled it with Rotella 15w40, so I thought I might could catch a quick oil change with a 'Groupon' coupon deal at a chain lube store nearby. Not only did they NOT change my oil filter, but they put in some low quality, crap, bulk oil rather than what I specified for the car. I confronted on the oil filter (didn't even remove the engine cover...I watched), then waited a few hours since they hadn't even ordered the filter it required. I was not yet aware that the oil they filled it with was incorrect also.

But wait, then the real terror begins when you drive off, turn the corner into a roadway, begin to accelerate, and seconds later the car has sirens going off and prior unseen dash display lights flashing at you to pull over and shut off car immediately!! Talk about being freaked out. I quickly u-turned and back to the Speedy-Lube shop for round two. The manager comes out (he's kind of sleazy looking dude with a crazy thick eastern european accent), and we end up checking levels, removing oil filter to verify they put in correct item and seated it correctly. Check, check, check; I drive off again and this time I make it a full block before the warning lights start flashing that Armageddon is about to happen at any moment in my engine bay. Wow, just wow! Now I know the oil they put in the car is not correct since it can't maintain oil pressure. Round three: Confronted the manager/owner yet again as to why I can't drive the car off his lot without oil pressure and engine damage warnings appearing after they changed the oil. How hard is it exactly to change oil, right? Especially when that is the business you are in...changing oil. I figured out they put in their cheapest bulk oil 5w30 rather than the synthetic meeting VW spec 507 as I specified. I got refunded fully, left the shop and went and bought the correct oil/filter and changed it myself. Never had another problem.

The takeaway here folks, and this is well documented by undercover sting operations and investigative inquiries done on oil change businesses all over the country, is that oil change businesses have become cash cows, but to increase profits even further the owners require their shop employees to upsell unnecessary services, and often times don't sweat the small stuff, like actually changing your oil filter, or changing that air or cabin filter you paid for after they showed you a nasty looking one that didn't actually come out of your car. Sure, I know there are bound to be some honest oil shops out there, but I'll be danged if I would trust one with my TDI now.

After that first change under car I got an oil extractor for dipstick changes and now it is quick and easy to change the oil, and recycle it locally. I buy oil & filter kit online from FCP Euro, and I even got the OEM VW/Audi 0w30 oil change kit (newest VW/Audi spec oil for the 2015 Q7), and when I reorder the same kit I simply file a return to get a shipping sticker printout to enable my lifetime warranty refund back to my credit card. Overall, it ends up costing me about $15 rather than $100 per oil change, and I'm running the exact same Audi branded/packaged oil they fill it with at the 'stealership'.

There is something oddly satisfying about doing an oil change with the factory-spec, VW/Audi-branded synthetic oil, a high quality German made filter, and having my net cost be $15, which is about what I would expect to pay for the oil filter alone. Ya'll should look them up: https://www.fcpeuro.com and be amazed how much you can save buying parts and fluids there. Lifetime warranty applies on basically everything they sell; 'nuff said. The real shocker is I bought the VW/Audi oil kit for like $82 + tax before I even realized it was covered by their lifetime warranty. I just bought the '15 TDI and wanted the first flush & oil change to be the best possible quality, since a third party shop (doing service work for the dealer) had filled it with wrong spec oil (it was Castrol Edge oil, but it is a weight and spec made for the pre-emissions TDI engines; however, "Turbo Diesel" was boldly printed on the front sticker, so apparently that was good enough verification for them and so they used it). It costs the same as the correct Castrol Edge 5w30 LL spec oil, but it will actually burn up the car by clogging the emissions systems and triggering overheating/components failure, etc, etc, $$...$$$$). My decision was driven by the fact the car still has another 25K miles to go under the extended warranty, and has always been prior serviced by Audi dealers exclusively, so I bought the Audi oil since it cost a fair bit less than the Liqui Moly oil kit from FCP. Simple economics.

Lol, now I get Audi dealer oil change kits for a net cost of $15 for this '15 Q7 TDI...simply boggles the mind it does.

Old 02-09-2021, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

LOL. Extractor my ***. Get under that Q7 and do it the old fashioned way. I have don't it twice on my Q7 and it is a lovely MESS from underneath. My indy mechanic showed me his extractor and was laughing at me.

I have to get one of those. Too bad my M5 does not have a dip stick but at least the drain plug and filter are accessible without pulling the underbody covers off like on the Q (and all other Audi's I have owned.)

Sorry you were burned by the Jiffy Lube.

I knew of a Porsche dealer who allowed someones Teenager to work there over the summer. This kid was doing oil changes on 911's This was in 1996 or so. LOL. That someone was 'friends' with the guy who's Porsche was ruined by the kid cross threading the drain plug and letting the oil leak out. Not so friendly after that story got out.

Mike

Quick Reply: Overfilled: 2018 Q7 PRESTIGE TOOK IT IN FOR OIL CHANGE NOW ITS SHAKING ,MISFIRE