Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

need new tires after 15K & my sunroof hasn't leaked yet.

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 10:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default need new tires after 15K & my sunroof hasn't leaked yet.

So after 15K I need new tires on the Q.
The Scorpion Asimmetricos didn't hold up, in fact, the least wear I've ever gotten from a set of tires and I'm not over-impressed with any of their characteristics so I don't think I'll be going that route again...
Had great experience with Conti DWS which they're now making in a 20" size and I read good reviews on the Pirelli Scorpion Verde (55K warranty).

I've obviously got a beef with 15K for a set, so I'm not planning on UHP tires here, but don't need off-road either, have studded nokians for ski season and living in Seattle a decent wet tire is on the radar.

Let me know what you've got & what you think of it.
Also, anyone gone up a size from 275? there are some 295's that'll fit...

(hope the leaky sunroof comment didn't offend it's just so dead here I thought I might try and lighten up the mood)
Old 09-14-2012, 03:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You have a 2011, no reason for a sunroof leak. In fact there is no reason for any sunroof leaks as the later maodel sunroofs fit the 07 anyway! It was just Audi's poor judgement not to replace the crap original flawed design in the 07s but rather try to blame customers for not maintaining them or just play the "out of warranty" card.
Yes you can fit 295s but not on your 9J rims there is virtually no clearance on the inside. Then you are into spacers or different offset rims. Not 100% sure but I think you might get away with 285 on them but do you 45 or 40 and what is supply like.
Old 09-14-2012, 07:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default great point on the inside clearance - hadn't thought of that

will probably just stick with 275/45-20.
I was just hoping for some added rim protection. evidently the curbs at the school, grocery store & shopping malls jump out at the Q7
Spacers for wider tires sounds like overkill for the baby-hauler.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Our CPO Q7 still had the OEM Pirelli Scorpions when we received it.(20000 mi)
I was surprised that they had enough tread to pass CPO inspection given what I have read of their short life. Anyway, when they are ready for replacement I will do the Continental DWS. We have them on our A6 and have been very pleased.
Old 09-14-2012, 02:11 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My 08s had cheap nexen(sp) tires when I picked it up. Took it to my tire guys and put on Bridgestone Deuler HP 275/45/20. It's a joke how much better the car rides now. Not sure how long they will last, but the ride is pretty darn good. I have Michelin on my rdx and they are good too...

Good luck!
Old 09-14-2012, 07:36 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I have heard good stuff about Yokohama Prada X Spec, never tried them but on paper they appear to stick good and have low noise. Anyone here tried them in 275-45-20 size? If so, how do they compare to Pirelli Scorpion Zero Assy, thanks.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ipo3
I have heard good stuff about Yokohama Prada X Spec, never tried them but on paper they appear to stick good and have low noise. Anyone here tried them in 275-45-20 size? If so, how do they compare to Pirelli Scorpion Zero Assy, thanks.
9 people changed to them, one of those didnt like them so went to Conti's.
People used to complain a lot about Bridgestone a few years back so they must have made a lot of improvement in recent offerings.
Goodyear generally had the best sidewall protection band.
I found ther toyo Proxes to be good for grip and wear but are a very narrow fit for a 275.
Old 09-15-2012, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default I have used the Yokohama Parada Spec x...

On my Suburban and got 40k out of them and they drove quiet even when they were bald. I plan to put these on the Q. Great tread pattern too.
Old 09-15-2012, 04:47 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

My main grievance with Pirelli's is excessive road noise. We have concrete roads and changing surface texture in Texas. This combination makes the Zeros noisier than batman, on blacktop they are nice.

On either surface the traction is super nice, my ideal tire would be same or better traction and less noise, do not care about looks. he tirerack comparison is pretty compelling but no hands on experience on my part yet.
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/survey...jsp?type=SSTAS
Old 09-16-2012, 06:30 AM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

I have the Scorpion Asimmetricos. Just turned 17K, and it looks like I can get another 5K+ out of the tires.

Quick Reply: need new tires after 15K & my sunroof hasn't leaked yet.