Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Must vehicle be on for homelink to work?

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Must vehicle be on for homelink to work?

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and am looking at possibly purchasing an Audi Q7. I was wondering if the vehicle had to be on in order for the homelink to operate the garage door as is the case with my BMW, which I like. I find this to be a nice security feature because I occasionally leave my vehicles parked outside in my driveway and wouldn't want someone to have easy access into my garage.

Thanks in advance.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Member

yes it has to be on
Old 12-02-2011, 12:51 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Yes, it has to be on.

Unfortunately with my Q7 I have to drive at least 2feet in front of the garage door to bringt be able to activate it.
If I am more far away it wont work.

So this nice feature is not usefull for me - I am still using the remote which came with garage door opener.

(
Old 12-02-2011, 01:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

So, I have to open the garage door 'manually' before I get in the car and start it (as opposed to starting it with the garage door closed which I prefer not to do)? No thanks, I too will continue to use my Liftmaster remote clipped to my passenger visor - get in my car in my semi-heated garage, then open the garage door and start the car.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

i never find the "manually" thing to be a problem.

all garage door openers come with the remote which is in the car and the switch that you mount on the wall. when im headed to the car i open the door to enter the garage, tap the opener mounted on the wall and get in the car and start it. not sure how that is tedious but if you like the visor clip opener thats kool
Old 12-03-2011, 01:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We have the remote mounted inside the utility room so we can hit it as we're going out, then the door is open by the time we're ready to drive off...

also, the front mounted homelink on the wife's Q doesn't work on our garage door if pulled in past the opener
or pointed away from the door ?!?
first car with homelink to do that !
Old 12-03-2011, 03:34 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

It's of course related to clime. No big deal in the south, but in chilly/breezy New England I like to be in the car before I open my garage door.

Originally Posted by Goodlivn
i never find the "manually" thing to be a problem.

all garage door openers come with the remote which is in the car and the switch that you mount on the wall. when im headed to the car i open the door to enter the garage, tap the opener mounted on the wall and get in the car and start it. not sure how that is tedious but if you like the visor clip opener thats kool
Old 12-03-2011, 05:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

you know you can turn the car on (the electrics...not start the engine), open the garage door, then start the engine, right?
Old 12-03-2011, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by IAS5
you know you can turn the car on (the electrics...not start the engine), open the garage door, then start the engine, right?
This is interesting. The engine must started in my Bimmer in order for homelink to operate the garage door opener.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Not in the Q7. I thought all Homelinks were like this. Are you sure your BMW doesn't work this way?

Quick Reply: Must vehicle be on for homelink to work?