Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Musings on the Q7 4.2 engine and Audi styling.......

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Musings on the Q7 4.2 engine and Audi styling.......

This is my first Audi, and I'm very impressed with the engine. Every time I "get on it", the feel and awesome sound as the Q moves up through the gears makes me wish for a lighter car and a manual transmission. The 4.2 seems to be extremely free-reving. Also, I remember a quote from years ago by, I think, Colin Chapman: "Most engines have adenoids - they can't breathe." The 4.2 seems to "breathe" very well.
Audi clearly seems to have engineering talent (witness the current racing success), but there seems to be opportunity in the styling area. The current lineup is bland, except for the A8 which is merely sedate, and the R8, which seems to be overstyled. The looks of the Q have grown on me.
Any thoughts from the Audi faithful?
Old 10-31-2007, 08:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I find the current line up of Audi vehicles to be masculine in their styling. Vs. BMW & MB.

That was why I chose the A4 over the 330i. It is the same reason I chose the Q7 over the MB GL450. It is all a matter of tastes. But the major factor for me was the interiors; that was the biggest selling factor. Inside the car is where you as the owner will spend all your time, not outside. The other manufacturers just don't have it on the inside; which for me is where it matters.

The other factors of performance and handling, are very important, but the differences between the manufacturers is very close in those categories, just not enough to sway me over to them.

In the end you have to decide what is important to you in a vehicle.
Old 11-01-2007, 08:16 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Totally agree on the interiors

I too found the Q7 interior to be the selling point. Mercedes are just plain boring in almost every variety with the exception of some of the AMG models. The interior of mercedes reaks of "older man". Bmw's are definitely more masculine and sporty than mercedes, but the only models with an interior flare is the 7-seres and 6-series. The X5 and 5 series leave a lot to be desired.

Now as for the exterior of the audi, I obviously like the Q7 as I bought one, but I really don't like the A8 all that much, especially compared with the BMW 7-series. They need to restyle the A8. I like the A4 over the new 3-series and it is pretty close with the A6 and 5-series.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Wish Q7 motor was a little more "truck-ish".

It's a bit obvious that the 4.2 is a car motor stuck in a "truck". Just wish it had a little more low end grunt instead of being such a revver.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds nice and it revs freely, but if you pay attention it's all smoke and mirrors. You're not really going anywhere all that quickly and it's horking down gas in the process.

Definitely like the stying over BMW or Merc competitors though.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:07 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Musings on the Q7 4.2 engine and Audi styling.......

Interestingly, the Q7 4.2 Engine has two (left and right) air filters. So it doesn't "share" air from a common filter as it is on other Audi 4.2's. That seems to give it better breathing, sound and pick up. Styling is a matter of taste. I, too, like the Q's styling compared to other cross overs. My A8L is a distinctive style, typical of German Manufacturers. Luxury cars have "recognizable" badge styling. I think recognizable styling is important. Wether 5-10-15 year old, one can clearly tell a Mercedes, BMW or Audi. Same for US manufactures -- Lincoln and Cadilac. Chrysler as a recognizable image lost its way, and hence they lost the ability to compete in the luxury space, since the Chrysler Brand of the 1960-70's fell by the way-side to style da-jur.
Old 11-01-2007, 10:14 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default Re: Wish Q7 motor was a little more "truck-ish".

Actually the Q7 is on a A6 extended car frame. Not a truck. That is why it has the handling of a car. I deliberate bought the Q7 for its handling a non-truck feel. After having Ford Exp and Lincoln Nav's on 150 Frames, I was ready to move from the Truck feel. Each his own, but perfer the car feel and sound in the Q Cross Over.
Old 11-01-2007, 12:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Never said Q7 was a true truck ... just wish the engine were a little more "truck-ish"

I'm perfectly aware that it's a crossover. What I'm trying to convey is that I wish the motor were more torquey at low rpm.
Old 11-02-2007, 12:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default In its segment I think the Q7 is the best styled in and out. Audi is stepping it up

with the S5 which I think is a work of art and looks like it should cost $25k more than it does. I do think the A4 series has been a little bland with not much to set it aside from an S4 and the front end of the A6 just seems like it's missing something. Both great cars though.
Old 11-02-2007, 01:59 PM

Default dont you guys think your being a little harsh on the x5 interior?

dont get me wrong i love the q7 and would choose it over for the x5 but but personally i think the std leather is too commercial like and not luxury enough thus the reason i would choose the (expensive) designer pack leather option which changes the luxury feel of this car immediately unfortunately i cant do much about the multi function steering wheel which feels tiresome quickly vs x5 nor the gearstick which again looks dated vs the futuristic looking one on the x5.

finally, even on a black on black car you cant get away from the cream headlining so theres another tick in the option box for black lining and why no carbon fibre trim leaving you with only aluminium (which is ok) or the ghastly wood trim.

so for me tdi version - 3.0 or 4.2 in either lava grey or white with all black interior with sline and rs4 style wheels

anyway, there is a female take on the car.

julie
Old 11-05-2007, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Q7 built on an extended TReg platform and not A6

Dont know if that makes any diff but it doesnt have car roots to my knowledge