Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Metal Skidplates

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2021, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Kei78
This is awesome Dread! I have a skid plate on my golf... now I can get one on the Q as well!
Sorry I have to ask? WHAT? You off roading your VW Golf? Or Racing on dirt track? What?

Mike
Old 01-19-2021, 01:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

The Diesel Engines are taller/longer than the Gassers, even at stock heights the oil pan sits so low it don't take much to knock a huge hole in it just cruising down paved roads.. If you lower a TDI Golf at all a skid plate is mandatory or its just a matter of time before it spills its guts all over the place.
The following 2 users liked this post by dreadlocks:
drjonez (01-19-2021), Kei78 (05-04-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 02:57 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
Guess who's gonna try to fit a winch this summer? This was eurowise's reply when I asked em if he thought the Treg winch mount would fit my Audi:

I'd lose the font camera for sure, and would need to be careful selecting a winch so it didn't impact my ACC sensor, would use a winch w/a control box I can relocate to inside the engine bay and w/remote clutch since access to it will be hard (not cheap)..
Judging by the photos of the treg and using the tow hook as a reference point I think this is where it'll end up being:

I ordered the eurowise winch mount today for my 2015 TDI Q7. I don't have ACC or anything in the front bumper. If the winch mount fits.. I'll either do a remote clutch and only the hook and fairlead sticking out, or cut a license plate size hole for it and get a plate mount that attaches to the fairlead to cover it. I should be able to reach the clutch through that.
The following users liked this post:
dreadlocks (05-03-2021)
Old 05-03-2021, 03:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

can always run it backward, takes more time but not pulling the clutch to spin it freely is not the end of the world.. also might be able to attach a lever and extend it for remote use, me be in front of intercooler behind the removable panel

Please take lots of photos for me, I was going to get to this already but now I'm saving up my deposit for a 2022 KTM 300 XC-W so I don't have to take this thing down as many trails to get my kicks.. but I'm going to circle back around to this soon, Ive pulled two dozen vehicles outta crap and I'll give a winch some good use..

I figured w/my ACC worst case I could fit a nice small and lightweight winch like the WARN 71550 9.0Rc, which is attractive already for many reasons..
Old 05-04-2021, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by dreadlocks
The Diesel Engines are taller/longer than the Gassers, even at stock heights the oil pan sits so low it don't take much to knock a huge hole in it just cruising down paved roads.. If you lower a TDI Golf at all a skid plate is mandatory or its just a matter of time before it spills its guts all over the place.
This ^^ My golf is lowered and I have cracked my oil pan before so it’s pretty much needed.
Old 05-23-2021, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

The winch is in. The vertical plastic/rubber air deflectors on each side had to be trimmed. Plenty of room around the plastic braces, radiator, condenser, pipes etc. I'm still cleaning up the cuts in the grill. The fairlead the winch came with was behind the grill too far, so I added a 1.5 inch thick factor 55 fairlead and flatlink.

I clocked the gearbox so the clutch handle faces forward and bought a long handle from rocky road outfitters that fits in between the grill slats. This handle also reaches the power switch. The winch controller is wireless. There’s only 2 push clips on the radiator cover if you need to reach the winch as well.

The following 2 users liked this post by Tactro:
Built4Sin (05-24-2021), dreadlocks (05-24-2021)
Old 05-24-2021, 07:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

excellent, thanks for the pics.. looks like ACC can be saved with the control box relocated for better wiring.

Just closed on some land up in the mountains and having a Winch just went from a want to a need, just for dragging rocks and trees about.
Old 05-24-2021, 08:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

That’s what I got it for too. I’m not intentionally off-roading in the Audi. My land is 3 miles down a narrow unmaintained track, 30 miles from town, and no cell service. The Q7 handles towing the pop up and camping gear a lot better than my wrangler.

I was trying to leave the property with the camper after it rained for 15 hours. Got stuck on a hill, had to leave the camper there to get out.
Old 05-24-2021, 07:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

oof, but that is exactly one of the things I am looking forward too w/my own land, the ability to abandon the camper if the weather gets really bad and come back for it later.. that will encourage me to push my seasons out further, we went out boondocking near my new property last October and a crazy blizzard came in as we were rolling out, towing it down the mountain was the only white knuckle Ive had to tow in this, with the traction control in a near-constant firing keeping me straight.. I dun wanna do that again I'd be perfectly fine leaving my 7klb 20ft toy hauler behind for a nice stress-free 4k ft descent back home.

Ive been averaging recovering 3-4 vehicles a winter w/my kinetic rope since I got this thing, from huge commercial trucks to lil Priuses.. I'm always worried about getting rear-ended and Ive had to pull people several blocks before they remembered I told them I was not letting off until I felt them brake first. Yanking em out without risk to my own property will make those days of rescue and recovery much easier, and quicker.