Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

low oil light came on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
with almost every direct injection engine... i am guessing the other engines were not fsi/direct injection.

you can say good bye, but they're not the only ones with direct injection engines... if you want a direct injection engine with minimal carbon issues go toyota/lexus otherwise it will be in your future.

aoa's stance has long been that driving around the city, idling, or not getting engines up to proper temps/long highway driving will create carbon build-up.

anyone here not familiar with this dont be afraid and let it scare you just do some reading on it so if and when the time comes you know how to jump through the dealer's hoops.

back to the original post, how was the engine broken in?

Well I agree that Audi isn't the only one with issues with direct injection, but considering I have been around engineering and German cars for decades I am not really concerned around any of the other brands, much less Audi for that much either with the inside info I have seen around all the issues and complaints (at least for me not to worry) but having to have someone worry about idling and direct injection issues is a pretty far stretch.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:38 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

After the first oil change on my Q7, I had the check oil light come on rather soon after the server. I think they refilled based on oil capacity, rather than including enough oil to compensate for the new filter. My car has been fine ever since.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

oil checked and it was down the low end on the stick. Put in about 3/4 of a bottle and Im fine now. Going to check again in the morning. Dont think it was a big deal but more of another reason why Im begining to dislike the dealer I purchased it from.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

light came on last night for my 333hp 3.0

i had my 5K service done at about 6K but i never had the light come on ...now im at about 11.5K i will check the level and add a Qt i guess because i have a while before the 15K

does this vehicle have a dipstick? or is there some other way to check it....would hate to take it in for something minor
Old 12-22-2011, 12:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Audi's seem to burn oil in some cases. Huge variation as well. Our 3.6 never burns oil at all. Other Audi's seem to use oil at an alarming rate. For something really scary, ask your dealer what Audi considers within operating specs(something like a quart every 1K miles....)
Old 12-23-2011, 09:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

took it into dealer....decided i didnt want to spend the next few thousand miles before the service wondering if i had a problem. besides i took off today so had the time

took about 15mins. they just topped it off and sent me on my way. the tech said that the light comes on if you are about 1/2 qt low. he said i was just under that point. They also said that since they have 10K intervals for oil changes and its common for the Q7s (especially SupChrg'ed) to burn oil the light isnt of great concern as long as it gets checked immediately. not every one will but common enough to not be surprised. they told me that i have a dipstick so just keep an eye on it between services. she said that if i have to top it off more than twice in the 10K interval then bring it in

she recommended synthetic penzoil or castrol 5W30 or 40....i guess if one or the other is in and i top off with the other type its ok
Old 12-23-2011, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Ive had mine come on a few times.. usually its if I let the vehicle idle in the morning to warm up while getting the kids going. Probably idles for 10 mins tops. If I do it a few times in a week I may the light come on. Never seems too low, just a tad out of the range on the stick. top it off and Im good to go. Dealer took a look and said all is ok. going back for my 15K service next week and will have them check it again.

Also seems that after a few days of "spirited" driving you may see it come on. Could be coincidence since I never see any indications of burning oil
Old 05-04-2013, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Q7 2007

I have a Q7 2007 V8 which I purchased from Carmax in 2009 at 50k miles...it's 2013 and it's at 90k miles. I take my Q7 religiously to Carmax for every scheduled oil change on time. I've noticed that the oil low light always appears in between my oil change maintenance. I know carmax is billing me for at least 8 quarts of oil and I bring my car in every 6k miles. I just had my oil changed 1 month ago and the oil low light came on and I added 3 quarts. A cashier at Autozone thinks I could be burning oil if my exhaust is black and sooty...which it is, but the Audi service department says that most cars have black soot in the exhaust and it's not an indicator of burning oil. The audi service says that they need to take apart the engine to look for a problem which may not be covered under my carmax extended warranty. The Autozone cashier says if the my Q7 is burning oil than the engine will need a rebuild....I've told carmax during my last 3 oil changes of how I always need to add more oil...carmax said they could not find a leak...and left it at that...i purchased the carmax extended warranty...but it feels like nobody wants to take this issue on....is there a known issue with Q7 burning oil? and is the repair usually covered under an extended warranty?
Old 05-05-2013, 05:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

75k on my 07 and no issues at all ....every 3-4k vavoline synthetic ....runs like a top ....
You should watch the exhaust when you first start in in the morning...if you see blue or black smoke that might be an indicator of issues
Old 08-30-2013, 10:29 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Just picked up a 2011 q7 prestige s-line with 32k. Ive put about 6k on it since i got it and have had to top up oil twice (1L). I called up the dealership today and they said its perfectly normal to have to top off once or twice inbetween oil changes.

Quick Reply: low oil light came on?