Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

low oil light came on?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts
Default low oil light came on?

Have about 8000 miles on my 2011 Q7 and today while sitting with the engine running waiting for a customer for about 20 minutes the check oil light came on. Just did the 5000 mile service about a month ago. I assume they changed the oil then. Is oil loss normal? or do you think they didnt fill it up enough at the 5000 service?

Starting to have flashbacks of my 06 S4 that used to eat oil at times.
Old 08-19-2011, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

you should not have burned through enough oil to trigger a low oil light in a month...

i would have to wager it was never properly filled at the last service.

also for the record refrain from idling for 20mins... if not for the environment, then for avoiding carbon build-up on the engine.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast

also for the record refrain from idling for 20mins... if not for the environment, then for avoiding carbon build-up on the engine.
In these dog days of summer, sometimes the A/C is mandatory.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:29 PM
AudiWorld Expert

valid point but then one should not complain if and when it is time for a carbon clean out... costs are about $1200-$1400 if the dealer doesnt warranty it or you are outside of warranty.
Old 08-19-2011, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by iconoclast
valid point but then one should not complain if and when it is time for a carbon clean out... costs are about $1200-$1400 if the dealer doesnt warranty it or you are outside of warranty.
Is there something unique about this engine that it builds up carbon? I have idled engines for hours - including overnight, without the first problem. Curious!
Old 08-19-2011, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah, if I have to worry about idling and carbon build up then bye bye Audi, lol

As long as you put in the top shelf gas the carbon build up shouldn't be as big of an issue. And that's from talking to some techs of have been having to break the engines apart. I know alot of the S4 guys that had complained before were also guilty of wal mart of 89 octane gas.
Old 08-19-2011, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im due for the 5K service so i will get it in there soon. just wondering though....

why would idling make a difference a month after the service was done? if it was low when they were finished shouldnt the light have come on within an hour or so if not immediately after the service?

for sake of argument, if the oil was low after service isnt the bigger problem that its burning oil now?

or is oil burning standard on this vehicle? should i invest in a dipstick?

just asking so i know what to look for after i get in for service
Old 08-19-2011, 06:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
Is there something unique about this engine that it builds up carbon? I have idled engines for hours - including overnight, without the first problem. Curious!
From what I understand DI engines have more carbon buildup issues. I did not know idling had anything to do with it though.
Old 08-19-2011, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Originally Posted by DUTCH VanAtlanta
with almost every direct injection engine... i am guessing the other engines were not fsi/direct injection.

Originally Posted by bozack
yeah, if I have to worry about idling and carbon build up then bye bye Audi, lol
you can say good bye, but they're not the only ones with direct injection engines... if you want a direct injection engine with minimal carbon issues go toyota/lexus otherwise it will be in your future.

Originally Posted by chickdr
From what I understand DI engines have more carbon buildup issues. I did not know idling had anything to do with it though.
aoa's stance has long been that driving around the city, idling, or not getting engines up to proper temps/long highway driving will create carbon build-up.

anyone here not familiar with this dont be afraid and let it scare you just do some reading on it so if and when the time comes you know how to jump through the dealer's hoops.

back to the original post, how was the engine broken in?
Old 08-19-2011, 07:58 PM
Ultimate Keyboard Warrior

Received 283 Likes on 203 Posts

OP never stated if he checked the oil and it was actually low.

My low oil warning came on during a recent road trip (started a thread about it). Pulled over, checked the oil, and it was full. After restart the warning did not come back on, and has not happened again.

Quick Reply: low oil light came on?