Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Looking to purchase 07/08/09 Q7

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2013, 04:57 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
I have an 08 Q7 premium 3.6L</a> . It's been a trouble free truck @36k miles. If you do drive a lot, gas mileage may be a concern, never seen 20MPG, average 15MPG. Cheers and good luck, Louis
Thanks!
I just returned from test driving an '08 Q7 3.6 premium.. Loved it but sounded a little weird at pull off (like a knock but not really?) if that makes sense.
It's got 49,000 miles, and they want $25,900.. Is this a good price? It's in almost great condition except for the cig smell :/

Thanks again Fez
Old 11-29-2013, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by B490MTL
The 4.2 has a history of timing chain tensioners failling in other models at a higher milleage along with leaking valve covers. The air conditioner compressor is mounted in the back of the engine and driven by a chain. One person on the allroad forum mentioned he always greased that gear on every oil change.
This is good stuff. 👍 thank you..
Old 11-30-2013, 10:18 PM
AudiWorld Member

I was hoping to get some more feedback on common issues before I take the plunge. I'm all Q'd out this weekend.
Old 12-01-2013, 12:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 89 Likes on 80 Posts
Default No noise, no knocking, no smell ... take your time and get the right one

Originally Posted by Fez2013
I was hoping to get some more feedback on common issues before I take the plunge. I'm all Q'd out this weekend.
Try some more Q7s. No noise please, especially with the cigarette smell, it's hard to get rid of them because it's sucked in the vent already (when AC was on).
@36k miles, my Q7 drives like new today, throaty sound when accelerate without knocking noise even with regular unleaded gas. The body is solid. Leather still smells new. The kids did help keep the car smelling fresh although they still kick the back of the front seats.
Yes, it's a nice truck with all the features, but get the right one. 2 years ago, my bought off lease was $28k. @50k miles,cigarette smells and knocking for $25k, I would pass. I'm sure you can find a nice, low mileage, one owner, well kept like mine for the same price.
Remember not to be "HOT TO TROT".

Cheers and good luck,

Louis
PS: "the big one" is ready for the snowy Sierras in the New Year...
Old 12-01-2013, 04:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

i sent you a private email. talk to me.

peter
Old 12-01-2013, 11:10 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

One thing for sure, before you buy one, scan it with a vag com. If you don't have one, go to an indy and try all the features especially the electronics (MMI, bluetooth, advanced key, navigation... yes some people are stupid enough to keep the dvd map when they sell the car) the more history on the car the better, transmission should shift smoothly try the response on the manual mode. Sunroof drain channels leakage are notorious on 07's, liquid spillage on the MMI console usually means it needs replacement. Don't go for a base model, usually when you want to upgrade stuff like navigation or bluetooth it comes at a steep price because the MMI is a different setup.

Last thing, don't rush your purchase, it's a knownd receipe for disaster.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ltooz_a6_a8_q7
Try some more Q7s. No noise please, especially with the cigarette smell, it's hard to get rid of them because it's sucked in the vent already (when AC was on).
@36k miles, my Q7 drives like new today, throaty sound when accelerate without knocking noise even with regular unleaded gas. The body is solid. Leather still smells new. The kids did help keep the car smelling fresh although they still kick the back of the front seats.
Yes, it's a nice truck with all the features, but get the right one. 2 years ago, my bought off lease was $28k. @50k miles,cigarette smells and knocking for $25k, I would pass. I'm sure you can find a nice, low mileage, one owner, well kept like mine for the same price.
Remember not to be "HOT TO TROT".

Cheers and good luck,

Louis
PS: "the big one" is ready for the snowy Sierras in the New Year...
Q7 Drive To Reno Xmas 2012 - YouTube
Q7 In Rain And Snow - YouTube
Q7 On The Hills To Donner Ski Ranch - YouTube
wow nice vids..! You're right I need to slow it down a little bit. I don't know if anyone has bought a vehicle out of state without a test drive or inspection... I saw one from Arizona, pictures are amazing, has every avail option... just not sure about those kind of purchases.
Old 12-02-2013, 08:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by B490MTL
One thing for sure, before you buy one, scan it with a vag com. If you don't have one, go to an indy and try all the features especially the electronics (MMI, bluetooth, advanced key, navigation... yes some people are stupid enough to keep the dvd map when they sell the car) the more history on the car the better, transmission should shift smoothly try the response on the manual mode. Sunroof drain channels leakage are notorious on 07's, liquid spillage on the MMI console usually means it needs replacement. Don't go for a base model, usually when you want to upgrade stuff like navigation or bluetooth it comes at a steep price because the MMI is a different setup.

Last thing, don't rush your purchase, it's a knownd receipe for disaster.
Those are definitely items ppl tend to overlook.. Thanks
Old 12-02-2013, 08:51 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pagpc
i sent you a private email. talk to me.

peter
I'll email you tonight.
Old 12-03-2013, 04:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

i'll look for it.