Issues with door handle touch sensor, and central locking button

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2023, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Part numbers for door handle and just sensor

Has anyone looked up the part numbers for
- door handle complete with sensor?
- just the sensor (inside the handle) if that is the part that fails (saves from having to repaint the handle).

Mine is a 2012 Q7 without chrome insert.

Looks easy enough to change the handle, and even the sensor (first few videos watched, and ebay search for cheap handles/sensors).
Old 07-10-2023, 02:31 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

The sensors in this handle are not replaceable, why is why Audi dumped the design and all the other cars have replaceable sensors.

You can spend $$$ getting new unpainted handles from Audi, or try your luck getting a used handle off ebay, but it will probably not work as they are just as old as yours.
Or just unplug them.
Old 07-10-2023, 08:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 721 Likes on 597 Posts
Default Fixing the Fault Allows the Keyless Entry to Work

Originally Posted by vtraudt
What part of door handle fails? Mine is 2012, and rear left died first (no biggy), but now both fronts don't work anymore and the whole 'keyless entry' feature is rendered useless.
I WANT keyless entry (at least driver side) to work again.
Above 'half' working suggestion is a step in the right direction, and since 'free', I consider.
But what does it take to FIX? Buy "driver side door handle with sensor"? Or is there a sensor itself that needs to be replaced? Part number?
It's a common issue. Spend big bucks to replace/repaint new door handles or you can simply unplug the door handle from the harness, etc. On my cars I've scanned car to see which doors are faulted for handles and simply 'depinned'/snipped the lead wire to the proximity sensor at the door pillar junction location. That takes literally minutes to do at each door impacted, and the automated door unlocking will work better than ever (and reliably) via a simple opening movement of the exterior door handle. You only need to address the handles that are ground faulted. Now, if the exterior door buttons are also grounded, that's when you have to unplug the handles from the harness, so as to stop the parasitic battery drain the grounded button creates. The proximity sensor inside the handle likewise creates a parasitic battery drain, so you want to be sure to address all handles that no longer function.
Old 04-20-2024, 05:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Battery Drain

I have lost 3 of 4 with code 'short to ground'. If battery drain occurs, how 'fast' does it happen? Just want to know if I DO have the battery drain problem (and need to disable/disconnect).
The battery became weaker over time, replaced. But even now, when connector battery charger often only shows 50% charge.

Does it take several days to 'drain' the battery (causing no start)? Or is the drain lage enough to notice for example in one day?
Old 04-22-2024, 12:32 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 251 Likes on 215 Posts

Against a new battery, the drain should take several days or more to cause a no-start situation. However, it weakens the battery's capacity over time in fairly short order, causing the battery to fail in maybe 2-3 years, even with daily use/charging.
Old 04-22-2024, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would this explain why my doors furiously and continuously (like every second) lock themselves when the key is anywhere near the vehicle?