Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Issues with door handle touch sensor, and central locking button

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2020, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the short to ground and new battery. The battery will not hold a charge overnight after 6 months of use. I unplugged the sensors and everything is OK with a new battery., just the codes that the handles are open.
Old 03-05-2020, 03:04 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Vcaudi
I got the ones with the trim option (still trying to find the trim). To skip painting I even tried to remove the covers from the old handles but there is still a section exposed. They are working OK and no codes after installation.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Exterior-Do...72.m2749.l2649

I need to replace my front handles, how much of the new primered handle can you see? Is it just the inside part of the handle?
Old 03-05-2020, 05:35 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Pothole5000
I need to replace my front handles, how much of the new primered handle can you see? Is it just the inside part of the handle?
Not sure it works as I was not able to remove covers on oem one. Anyhow see attached pictures. If you replace on driver side the remaining piece is bottom an half inside. On passenger side is inside and half top.

Removed pieces.

The quarter visible

Sealed sensor
Old 03-05-2020, 05:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 567 Likes on 449 Posts

if you get those china ones painted might as well buy a full set and get em all done together, it'll be cheaper and you'll have spares on hand.. I guarantee if you get rid of the car before using em all someone will buy em off you on ebay pre-painted and new for a premium.
Old 03-06-2020, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 242 Likes on 199 Posts

Not sure it works as I was not able to remove covers on oem one. Anyhow see attached pictures. If you replace on driver side the remaining piece is bottom an half inside. On passenger side is inside and half top.
Removed pieces.
The quarter visible
Sealed sensor
Thanks for the pictures!
Too bad Audi doesn't sell the electric guts to these handles like they do all the other cars

Old 09-07-2020, 07:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Has anybody tried to disable kessy by disconnecting just the door handle touch sensor wires at the door pillar connectors?
My '14 Q7 ended up with dead battery few times and I decided to disconnect the touch sensors completely. I just don't want to disassemble every door to unplug the handle. It looks like the sensor G415 (and G416-G418 in other doors) is wired to kessy module directly via the door pillar connector (pin 15). I think it should be much easier to unplug the door harness, pull out one pin and plug the door harness back.

kessy touch sensor wiring at door handle
Old 09-08-2020, 06:23 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Only at door

I did unplug connectors at each door with problem. There are only 4 screws to remove panel. Anyhow it is tricky to hold pulled out connector as it might interfere with window movement.
Old 09-08-2020, 12:38 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I did unplug connectors at each door with problem. There are only 4 screws to remove panel. Anyhow it is tricky to hold pulled out connector as it might interfere with window movement.
Zip tie the disconnected connector in place.
Old 09-08-2020, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Kei78
Zip tie the disconnected connector in place.
There is not to much space to get in there to put a zip tie. You need also to seal connectors to prevent water intrusion and again having a short. After unplugging them I got the alarm coming on random during rain or high humidity. Initially I thought I did not seal correctly the connectors but now even with new handles I have same issue.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Edd W
Spend a couple of hours removing each door card and disconnect the cable that goes to the door handles. They just unplug easily and all you need is to cable tie them securely so they don't rattle or impede the window opening.

You will need to lock the car using the key remote but you will still be able to unlock by pulling the door handle with a quick 'double-pull'.
is there a write up on how to do yhis without damaging door?

Quick Reply: Issues with door handle touch sensor, and central locking button