Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

How often do you drive in Sport mode?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 06:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How often do you drive in Sport mode?

I was driving with the wife the other day and we were talking about how much we enjoyed the performance of our Sline engine. i joked that i should have gotten the lower HP motor and just bought the S-line badges from E-bay or something because i never drive in the Sport mode

wife says, "the what?"

mind you, my wife pays no attention to car specs and has no idea about HP, engines or superchargers....she liked the side assist so we were getting a Q7. 0-60 times is guy stuff IHO

my problem is that we both drive with kind of a lead foot. whenever i slip into sport mode the higher revs, neck breaking torque, etc...feels a bit too much and after i do it for a short time i always shift back to D. i told the wife to give it a try sometime to see what i mean. she just called me after some Sport mode driving to concur that its just too much for normal workday driving. thats in addition to the lower gas mileage, wear and tear on pads, tires, etc...

do you drive in Sport much at all? seems a shame to never see so much of what the engine can do i guess
Old 02-15-2012, 07:35 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I use S Mode when needed, like say in traffic and you need to maneuver quickly. Other than that, I take it back out and use D mode. This is for every Audi I've used, not just the Q7.
Old 02-15-2012, 07:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Open highway is when i use S-mode. I also enjoy M-mode too bu tmostly drive with S-mode. But like the other post said when i need to move in traffic and pass someone i put it in S-mode. I did find a neat little mod for S-mode. not really sure how it worked or if it worked, but if you turn off ESP select S-Mode stand on the brake and rev teh engine to teh desired RPMs and let go of teh brakes it will set the S-mode shift line to that RPM. Please someone correct me if I am wrong. I tried this and it seems i dont shift till i hit teh red line....
Old 02-15-2012, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use S-mode any time that I am stuck in traffic on bendy roads and I want to overtake at short notice. It is not used often or for long. I am just as likely to push it across to manual mode and use the steering paddles as I am to use Sport Mode.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Havent used mine (with paddles) since yesterday. Didnt go anywhere today
Old 02-15-2012, 01:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jusforfun
Havent used mine (with paddles) since yesterday. Didnt go anywhere today

Don't know about you but I find using the flappy paddles in either auto mode to be infuriating. This is because it only holds a gear for a short period, depending on conditions, before defaulting to auto again. That is why I tend to flip the lever across to manual mode before using the paddles. This gives me a choice of changing gear ratios with either main lever or paddles.

In general I leave it in auto.

Although I have travelled 800 miles since Friday morning, the Audi has not moved. In fact I don't think it has done more than 300 miles since it had new pads and tyres.
Actually spent nearly all Monday at the Nissan factory in Washington, Sunderland UK. A factory that is set to produce 500,000 cars this year off two assembly lines.