Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Fuel fill safety neck stuck closed

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2024, 07:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuel fill safety neck stuck closed

I went to fuel my 2011 and the safety neck is stuck closed. Won’t allow the fuel nozzle to go in. Messed with it for quite awhile with my fingers and get get it to open. Can this piece be removed?
Old 03-20-2024, 11:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by emmagator
I went to fuel my 2011 and the safety neck is stuck closed. Won’t allow the fuel nozzle to go in. Messed with it for quite awhile with my fingers and get get it to open. Can this piece be removed?
I went to fill up once and it was the nozzle that would not open the neck but worked fine at other stations. The nozzle had recently been replaced because I had used the same pump previous times.
Old 03-20-2024, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is it a TDI? if so, it will only accept an "auto" diesel nozzle to defeat the anti-siphon flap. I've run into some stations that are using the gas nozzle, or the high-volume truck nozzle - neither will work on my 2011 TDI.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Jmkrantz
Is it a TDI? if so, it will only accept an "auto" diesel nozzle to defeat the anti-siphon flap. I've run into some stations that are using the gas nozzle, or the high-volume truck nozzle - neither will work on my 2011 TDI.
yes TDI. Interesting you mention that about the nozzle. The nozzle looked new, as it just had been replaced.
Old 03-20-2024, 01:55 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by emmagator
yes TDI. Interesting you mention that about the nozzle. The nozzle looked new, as it just had been replaced.
I'll bet they replaced it with the wrong nozzle. It's happened to me once. Moved over to another diesel pump at the same station, and it worked fine.
The following users liked this post:
-Wes- (03-20-2024)
Old 03-20-2024, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Default VW adapter

Originally Posted by porsche man
I went to fill up once and it was the nozzle that would not open the neck but worked fine at other stations. The nozzle had recently been replaced because I had used the same pump previous times.
VW sells an adapter reducing large nozzle to fit into our tanks. I was in Northern MN and could only find large nozzle diesel before I found the smaller nozzle on fumes. Have one stashed in the trunk.
Old 03-20-2024, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

My local Shell station has 8 diesel pumps. 2 of them have the smaller gasoline nozzles and will not open the anti mis-fueling door. I have to avoid those two pumps. I expect that to be what you experienced too. Nozzle must be big enough to fit snugly in the hole in order to unlatch that port.
Old 03-20-2024, 07:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 721 Likes on 597 Posts

Ditto; the incorrect sized 'gasoline' nozzles on diesel fuel pumps I've encountered have all been shiny-new items. I'm not sure who it is responsible for replacing those fueling nozzles, but they definitely need to be a bit more detail oriented.

I added the VW diesel fueling adapter to my 'travel kit' to be sure I've got options if I'm out in the boonies, etc, but like several others mentioned, often times the other side of the pump or another diesel pump at same station will have the correctly sized diesel fuel nozzle on it. I've even once found an automobile sized diesel nozzle mounted on the big-rig fueling island side of a truck stop, so be sure to look around. On one trip I actually did use the gasoline sized dispenser nozzle on the diesel pump just to get 1-2 gallons of diesel in tank (very carefully/slowly), so I could ensure I would make it to next fuel station with correctly sized diesel nozzles; it was difficult, but doable.
Old 03-22-2024, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Just to follow up. Yep they replaced nozzle with incorrect size. Went back yesterday and used different pump, nozzle tip slightly bigger, work normally.
The following 2 users liked this post by emmagator:
-Wes- (03-22-2024), J. Patterson (03-22-2024)
Old 03-22-2024, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I had no idea there was a VW fuel adapter. Just ordered one off Amazon to put in the tool kit.
The following users liked this post:
-Wes- (03-22-2024)

Quick Reply: Fuel fill safety neck stuck closed