Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Flipping tire shop 🤮

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2023, 07:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 353 Likes on 296 Posts
Default Flipping tire shop 🤮

Went to have my new tire installed at a shop I had been to many times before. Never had an issue before today.

They had a simple job. Remove the flat tire, mount/balance the new tire, remove the spare, and put on the new tire/wheel. They screwed up big time...

First, i was there a little over 2 hours until they called me up to explain the situation. Which became annoying after some time. I went into the shop with them.

They had both the spare and new tire/wheel on the ground.

They handed me the box i gave them with the 5 extended bolts that came with the wheel spacers. When i brought them in, the bolts were all black. What they showed me were 5 black bolts that now had 5 silver tips. They managed to strip all 5 bolts.

Then they showed me the stock bolts I used to install the spare. They put each one in a different hole. Only 4 would thread in, the last one would not. So, they managed to strip one hole of the wheel hub as well.

They said that the wheel hub would have to be replaced.

They put on the spare with only 4 bolts.

I was told to get an estimate for the parts and repair and they would cut me a check to pay the repair shop upfront instead of reimbursing me. Which is a good thing, since i dont have the money atm.

But, they said if the job was over $500 the check would have to come from the corporate office, and that could take some time. No way this job can be done for under $500. Excellent news...

I managed to put the spare on 2 days ago without a problem. It took "professionals" to break my Q.
Old 09-07-2023, 09:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 47 Likes on 30 Posts

Sorry to hear about this, so frustrating. Seems 95% of shops out there these days are completely incompetent.

I’m lucky enough to also have a truck and am able bring in my wheels/tires off the vehicle for mounting, etc. I never let them touch my Q if I can help it.
Old 09-07-2023, 11:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 43 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bg_2007Q7
Went to have my new tire installed at a shop I had been to many times before. Never had an issue before today.

They had a simple job. Remove the flat tire, mount/balance the new tire, remove the spare, and put on the new tire/wheel. They screwed up big time...

First, i was there a little over 2 hours until they called me up to explain the situation. Which became annoying after some time. I went into the shop with them.

They had both the spare and new tire/wheel on the ground.

They handed me the box i gave them with the 5 extended bolts that came with the wheel spacers. When i brought them in, the bolts were all black. What they showed me were 5 black bolts that now had 5 silver tips. They managed to strip all 5 bolts.

Then they showed me the stock bolts I used to install the spare. They put each one in a different hole. Only 4 would thread in, the last one would not. So, they managed to strip one hole of the wheel hub as well.

They said that the wheel hub would have to be replaced.

They put on the spare with only 4 bolts.

I was told to get an estimate for the parts and repair and they would cut me a check to pay the repair shop upfront instead of reimbursing me. Which is a good thing, since i dont have the money atm.

But, they said if the job was over $500 the check would have to come from the corporate office, and that could take some time. No way this job can be done for under $500. Excellent news...

I managed to put the spare on 2 days ago without a problem. It took "professionals" to break my Q.
Sorry this happened to you. The shop likely used an impact gun to zip the bolts in without hand threading the first few threads.

Unfortunately the hub replacement on this Gen Q7 requires the wheel bearing be replaced too as the bearing gets destroyed when the hub is pressed out. So, it’s a slightly involved job. I take the entire spindle off when doing them and use my shop press. They can be done on the car with a bearing shark or similar.

Be careful driving on only four lug bolts. The Q7 is a heavy vehicle and that puts a huge amount of uneven load on the existing ones. Not to mention that the remaining threads on the hub are likely compromised too.

Good luck with a quick repair.
The following users liked this post:
-Wes- (09-08-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 12:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by B6-3.0L
Sorry this happened to you. The shop likely used an impact gun to zip the bolts in without hand threading the first few threads.

Unfortunately the hub replacement on this Gen Q7 requires the wheel bearing be replaced too as the bearing gets destroyed when the hub is pressed out. So, it’s a slightly involved job. I take the entire spindle off when doing them and use my shop press. They can be done on the car with a bearing shark or similar.

Be careful driving on only four lug bolts. The Q7 is a heavy vehicle and that puts a huge amount of uneven load on the existing ones. Not to mention that the remaining threads on the hub are likely compromised too.

Good luck with a quick repair.
I overhead the guy at the shop on the phone with the parts store and he said something about the wheel bearing as well. I'm expecting an expensive job, just thankful the tire shop is going to pay up front, instead of reimbursing me. Otherwise, I'd be in some trouble.
Old 09-08-2023, 08:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The estimate from the independent VW/Audi shop I go to is $1242.88 which includes labor, new wheel hub, new wheel bearing kit, and 5 new extended bolts from ECS. They said they can't give an exact estimate until they take the wheel off and see what they're dealing with. But that is a best scenario estimate.

Fortunately, they have loaners, as i have no one to follow me and take me home.

I just pray the corporate office for the tire shop doesn't give me any hassle. After all, I didn't ruin my Q, they did...
Old 09-08-2023, 11:55 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 250 Likes on 214 Posts

Wow; what a shocker that is! Maybe it's a good thing that you weren't going in for a new set of four....!

Yeah, that bearing job is not for the faint of heart. IIRC, I was quoted about $1,200 on mine when the front left bearing went out. It was then that I justified getting a bearing shark kit, which I think is what B6 mentioned earlier. The kit cost me about $650, plus another $150 or so for the bearing, but I figure the cost of that repair, including my time, just about cost me the $1,200, so the next one will be practically free!

I actually have a whole new set of hubs and bearings at home now that I picked up last year, but I haven't quite worked up the appetite to tackle the job yet. I surely wouldn't want to do it just because some yahoo messed up my hub threads! I guess that is one advantage to having the bolts in the hubs instead of the other way around. It's comparatively simple to replace a hub bolt (although I'm sure Audi could find a way to make it complicated).
Old 09-08-2023, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

@Wes
Yeah, i really wouldnt want to do that job either. Ive done it on a GTI, but never a vehicle this large.

Thankfully, the repair shop can give me a loaner when I get the check and set up the appointment. Otherwise I'd be SOL, as I have no one to follow me to the shop and back to a rental car agency.
Old 09-08-2023, 01:19 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Take the check, chase the threads, install new bolts, and get back on the road.
Old 09-08-2023, 01:28 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by 4Driver4
Take the check, chase the threads, install new bolts, and get back on the road.
I just scheduled for next Wednesday. The tire shop broke my Q, and they are going to pay for all new OEM parts. Im not in it for the money. I plan on keeping this Q for as long as she'll go down the road. Even then, i wont sell it.
mikesvwservice (11-22-2023)
Old 09-08-2023, 01:45 PM
Tech Guru

Received 107 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by bg_2007Q7
I just scheduled for next Wednesday. The tire shop broke my Q, and they are going to pay for all new OEM parts. Im not in it for the money. I plan on keeping this Q for as long as she'll go down the road. Even then, i wont sell it.
Seems like a waste of money to me. If the threads can be chased, that's really all you need bank the check. The Q7 will find other ways to get that cash out of your wallet.
This isn't a museum piece. Just fix and drive; don't restore.
KevinGary (09-09-2023)

Quick Reply: Flipping tire shop 🤮