Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Changing the Q7’s brake pads, rotors, brake fluid. Sequence, tools, parts.

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2024, 11:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Liamfmvt
Thanks for this write up!
First time changing brakes on my wife’s q7 (I’ve done a LOT of brakes over the years, but never on an audi).

Going to do the Fronts first - have pads and rotors in the cart at FCP. Also have the wear sensors (you replace these every time?).
You also list the hardware kit and caliper bolts. Do I need to replace the hardware kit? (I assume the pads come with new slides and springs, so this is something different?)

Just curious - I don’t think I’ve ever replaced a hardware kit before.

Also, my typical is to leave one pad in the caliper, and push the piston back in with a c-clamp. (Either with or without the bleeder screw open, as some will say don’t push old fluid back up the line). But you mention a screwdriver and ‘rewind’ the piston back in. Is it different from a ‘normal’ car in that it needs to be turned, or just pushed back in like most? (The old Saabs had a special tool to turn the parking brake back in when they put it on the front brakes… but I digress).

I’ll have a look through the videos as well - thanks for compiling.
As a general rule you cannot reuse the sensors. Even if they haven't worn through they're usually so fused to the pads that they break when you try to remove them. The Brembo's are multi-piston floating calipers so both sides have to be pressed back at the same time or you'll find you're pushing out some pistons when pushing in the others. I bought a
ratcheting tool that presses in on all pistons equally from Amazon ratcheting tool that presses in on all pistons equally from Amazon
that works really well.

Some pads come with new hardware and some don't, I've usually just reused the existing but I've also never seen retention pins as gummed up and corroded as those in the videos above.
Old 04-23-2024, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 721 Likes on 597 Posts

You can probably get by with the old hardware if just swapping pads out, but you should replace the hardware (return springs and slider pins) when changing rotors, which is every other pad change. Get new wear sensors as the wires and whatnot get brittle over time, and it's a real buzzkill and PITA if you break one during the swap or it later fails and lights up the dash...repeatedly. Those sensors are pretty cheap to buy from FCP...just be sure you get the right ones, as the front and rear pad wear sensors have different cable lengths.

If you are doing full brakes (rotors/pads/sensors), then you need to get new hardware too, and don't forget the brake lube, and that you will need to bleed the brakes/replace brake fluid every two years, etc. It's much more affordable if you plan ahead, and often a lot less expensive if you buy a prepared 'kit' for all four wheels at once, rather than just a single axle. Even with the kits, the brake hardware is generally not included, so pay attention to the details, and drill down to what exactly is included rather than assuming.