Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

A/C drain clogged

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 06:20 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C drain clogged

Water started coming down into both the passenger and driver foot rest (tho more on the passenger side). So much that the passenger side floor mat is soaked. Since my car is garaged in doors, and it has rained the last 2 days, I knew it wasn't the sunroof. I'm assuming the air conditioning drain is clogged. Is this a DIY or do I wait until next week to take to the dealer. I'll probably take to the dealer since I have the extended warranty but hoping to fix it now instead of waiting since I need to drive the family this weekend.
Old 05-29-2011, 12:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DIY if you want.
Previous thread with pics
Name:  condensatedrainRHDJPG2.jpg
Views: 19048
Size:  82.0 KB
I think if you search you might find another thread with details of some anti bacterial spray.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks but dropped off at my dealer who just called me and confirmed the a/c drain needs to be cleared but it isn't covered under warranty! Not a wear item but...
Old 06-03-2011, 06:47 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not covered under warranty, sad sad sad...

1st vehicle I have owned where A/C & Sunroof hoses need to be cleaned at all, let alone not covered under warranty... "clogging & cleaning is not part of warranty" What an Absolute Joke for a vehicle with this price tag. Utterly Ridiculous... Make a poor design, then try to make money on it for a fix they should be doing as a service bulletin/recall etc.

Last edited by GRNMACHINE; 06-03-2011 at 06:50 PM.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:12 PM
One
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you may have some luck cleaning out the discharge from under the car and using a disinfectant spray the other poster was talking about...most likely what you have is green slime in your system. try not to run your a/c on recirculate/max all the time and turn off the a/c with the blower on, fresh air so the evaporator coil doesnt stay wet all the time.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:16 PM
One
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh i didnt look at the pic, the discharge hose is right there accessible from the inside...
Old 06-04-2011, 08:45 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

It should be a warranty issue - as it is not something that you caused. I would protest to AOA

I've had that issue before with other brands (BMW) and they covered it.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

BMW covers lots of stuff that other makers dont and for a lot longer...its a very strong selling point IMO
Old 06-04-2011, 06:08 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Goodlivn
BMW covers lots of stuff that other makers dont and for a lot longer...its a very strong selling point IMO
Funny- over on the BMW forums I frequent, I hear the same kinds of complaints I read here(ie BMW being stingy with warranty stuff). I think your impression may change if you had a new one(assuming you don't - that is...). My experience with BMW warranty was pretty good although I had few issues. My Audi experience has been good as well.
Old 06-05-2011, 07:12 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by chickdr
Funny- over on the BMW forums I frequent, I hear the same kinds of complaints I read here(ie BMW being stingy with warranty stuff). I think your impression may change if you had a new one(assuming you don't - that is...). My experience with BMW warranty was pretty good although I had few issues. My Audi experience has been good as well.
yea bought a new X5 a few years ago and they were covering stuff like wiper blades, brakes, oil changes, brake lights, etc... if i had a problem, i took it in and they took care of it without charging me. a friend of mine just got a CPO BMW and she says they still do it that way

they werent perfect, but it was nice to know that a ~$1000 brake job was covered

Quick Reply: A/C drain clogged