Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Broke Pas Side Mirror What are the 4 connections?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2021, 04:43 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broke Pas Side Mirror What are the 4 connections?

I was appalled when I got a price quote of $2800 for a full assembly for a right-hand passenger side mirror for my 2015 Audi Q7 TDI. The mirror part was $250 and the rest was $2500 and change. I can get the complete units for about $400 on ebay but also picked up a mirror for $45. The mirror has terminal connections for what I assume is the heat. After taking out the broken mirror I noticed a wire housing (see pic) that had 2 wires that went to positions that are not on my cheap $45 replacement mirror. Can someone tell me what these connections are for??? And does anyone know of a place I could get a replacement mirror with these connections cheap?? I am not sure if I am going to have to replace the whole housing yet or not, not sure if I broke the mirror motor. If anyone knows how to snap this mirror in or anything regarding the side mirror, I am sure it will help in my fix it.

THANKS

Old 02-11-2021, 03:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

OK.. so I answered my own question now, hopefully someone else won't have to wait for no one to figure it out. The two main connections are for the heating elements they have electrical spade connectors. It doesn't matter which one you hook up to which wire as it is resistive so the heating will work no matter which way you hook it up. FYI, Audi sells this mirror for $240 (heating only). The connector I showed in the picture with the two wires are part of the auto-dimming for the side mirrors it is a feature I didn't even know I had. The way it works is really cool, there is an oil in the mirror that can turn more opaque or clear depending on the amount of current you pass through it. I find it fascinating that the reason I was never bothered by anyone's high beams was that the mirror actually dimmed itself when sensing someone's high beams not by moving but by decreasing the reflectivity of the glass. Apparently, this is an option on many Audi's and had I not had the Premium Plus TDI but the standard Q7, all I would have would be 2 connectors for the heat and no wiring harness showed above which makes the mirror more or less opaque. Now there is also an option for lane detection as well (which I have) so there is actually 3 versions of replacement glass. Heated Only ($250), Heated With Auto Dim ($375), Heated With Auto Dim and Blind Spot Warning ($500+) .. I wound up getting a great heated mirror on Ebay that fit perfectly for about $45 and there were some being sold for as low as $30. I just couldn't justify spending $500 on a mirror. That said, they did have complete housings on used parts sites for about $350 so that would have been a runner-up had the rest of my mirror been damaged in the collision with my fence. By the way, had anything else broken other than the mirror, I was quoted $2800 (see above) for a complete replacement which as I said you can get from a used car place for about $350.
The following users liked this post:
Daniel1223 (02-06-2024)
Old 02-12-2021, 10:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to replace my passenger side mirror a few years ago (trash barrels and boxes moved by my kids, saw the box as I hit it backing out D'ooh') I think I paid 700 for my mirror. Was an easy repair by painful part price.
Yes the loaded mirror.....all the costly parts.....
Mike

Old 02-19-2021, 08:09 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Yeah... $800 for a mirror with 4 electrical connections. That just, well criminal. But I can get one from a wercked Q7 the whole mirror assembly, LED light, down light, blindspot sensor and LED warning light, mirror, heater, mirror dimmer, auto-reverse motor, motor, housing etc.... for $300... from a used parts website... I just don't understand anyone paying OEM pricing for anything.
Old 02-20-2021, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 155 Likes on 118 Posts

I literally just got mine back yesterday for something similar as someone felt that I had one too many and stole my drivers mirror assembly. Total cost was over 3k. Mirror assembly was $2700 + paint and refit. Was not a happy camper.
Old 07-05-2022, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seanstock
OK.. so I answered my own question now, hopefully someone else won't have to wait for no one to figure it out. The two main connections are for the heating elements they have electrical spade connectors. It doesn't matter which one you hook up to which wire as it is resistive so the heating will work no matter which way you hook it up. FYI, Audi sells this mirror for $240 (heating only). The connector I showed in the picture with the two wires are part of the auto-dimming for the side mirrors it is a feature I didn't even know I had. The way it works is really cool, there is an oil in the mirror that can turn more opaque or clear depending on the amount of current you pass through it. I find it fascinating that the reason I was never bothered by anyone's high beams was that the mirror actually dimmed itself when sensing someone's high beams not by moving but by decreasing the reflectivity of the glass. Apparently, this is an option on many Audi's and had I not had the Premium Plus TDI but the standard Q7, all I would have would be 2 connectors for the heat and no wiring harness showed above which makes the mirror more or less opaque. Now there is also an option for lane detection as well (which I have) so there is actually 3 versions of replacement glass. Heated Only ($250), Heated With Auto Dim ($375), Heated With Auto Dim and Blind Spot Warning ($500+) .. I wound up getting a great heated mirror on Ebay that fit perfectly for about $45 and there were some being sold for as low as $30. I just couldn't justify spending $500 on a mirror. That said, they did have complete housings on used parts sites for about $350 so that would have been a runner-up had the rest of my mirror been damaged in the collision with my fence. By the way, had anything else broken other than the mirror, I was quoted $2800 (see above) for a complete replacement which as I said you can get from a used car place for about $350.
I've got a 2013 with dimming and lane assist.
I am in the process of trying to find a non-dimming replacement right now. I cracked the mirror but kept the overall housing intact backing out of the garage.
Where is the blind spot connector and how does that factor into the mirror glass?

Dealer gave me 8RO-857-535C as the driver side part number, no dealer can confirm it'll fit. Are these all interchange-able?
Old 07-10-2022, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Default Electric mirrors not moving

Bought my Q7 less than 3 months ago and nothing but problems one of which is my passenger mirror I can fold both mirrors electronically by the switch but I can only adjust my drivers mirror my passenger one I have to physically move the glass into position is this just a case of replacing the motor?
Old 07-10-2022, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by GoingToKillMyAudi
Bought my Q7 less than 3 months ago and nothing but problems one of which is my passenger mirror I can fold both mirrors electronically by the switch but I can only adjust my drivers mirror my passenger one I have to physically move the glass into position is this just a case of replacing the motor?
Verify you are getting power to the motor before you replace the motor. Could be a broken wire. Motor should be 12V so I would try hooking up some power to the motor to see if it works too. Or just live with it. Says me, No one else drives my car so no reason to be adjusting that mirror.
Old 07-10-2022, 02:22 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 353 Likes on 296 Posts

Originally Posted by GoingToKillMyAudi
I'm almost sure you need a replacement mirror motor. If you can manipulate the mirror by hand, the motor is broken. Both of my mirrors were like this. I tried a new switch, no dice. It is the motor. Check ebay, you can find them about half price and new from sellers in Latvia and Lithuania. I bought 2 from the same seller in Lithuania, saved $150 over US sourced parts...