Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Battery Draining When Car is Off 2009 Q7 3.6 Sport

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2024, 09:25 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Battery Draining When Car is Off 2009 Q7 3.6 Sport

Hello All,

I am stumped.... Alternator is good (showing 13.9 V when running) Battery is good per testing it at a mechanic..... Something is drawing power and was wondering if anyone has gone through this to help give me a starting point for my continued investigation.

Thanks you!
Old 03-07-2024, 10:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 253 Likes on 216 Posts

Pulling a VAGCOM diagnostic is a must! Ross-Tech unit recommended.

The most likely culprit is door handles.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Interesting you say that.... When I got the car charged, I noticed it showed the trunk was open. I open it and closed it and it went away.... What about the door handles draw power?

I do plan on getting another audi so it makes sense to get the Vagcom since I do a lot of my own fixes anyway.... Kinda silly I don't already have one.
Old 03-07-2024, 10:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 253 Likes on 216 Posts

Not sure what features the handles have in 2009 models. However, the touch sensitive and auto-open features in Audi door handles are highly problematic (very sensitive to water intrusion, which is a bit ironic given their location!). When they go bad, they tend to draw >1 amp at all times, which is very bad for your battery when the vehicle is off and for its longevity overall.
Old 03-07-2024, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Interesting. Will the Vagcom be able to identify an individual component thats drawing when off?
Old 03-07-2024, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Here’s some reading that will help. it’s long but worthwhile.

https://www.audiworld.com/forums/q7-...ndles-3031705/
Old 03-07-2024, 07:08 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I don’t mind long. Anything to get to the bottom of it… definitely a parasitic draw from somewhere. Gotta find out where. Thanks for the help
Old 03-08-2024, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 721 Likes on 597 Posts

Short answer is YES, this car will store internal trouble codes unique to the proximity sensors and also unique fault codes on the external door handle buttons grounding out, as well as indicating their relative positions on the car.

Once scanned fully via VAGCOM, you will see the door handle proximity sensors (if equipped with Audi's smart key system), and the door handle's external push-buttons will show up, but the buttons are listed under a different control module when they ground out, so there's really no confusion about which item is grounded, and given enough time, they all go bad. I'm down to one door handle still connected on my '10, with the rest being unplugged inside the door panel at the handle's pigtail connector.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by markdevlinn
I don’t mind long. Anything to get to the bottom of it… definitely a parasitic draw from somewhere. Gotta find out where. Thanks for the help
Our failures ( 3 on this Q7 over its 9 years 135k miles) have all been the locking button not the touch sensor. Scanning revealed a code labeled “ implausible signal locking button XXX XXX door. After unplugging inside the door and clearing that code a new code in ignition authorization is displayed saying open circuit in that door. This can’t be cleared but does no harm.
I’ve used both VCDS and Carista to diagnose and clear. Both work but Carista is faster and easier. Don’t have to drag out my old laptop.
Old 03-08-2024, 06:57 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

So is an instant an easy solution to just unplug these sensors? What features are lost if it’s unplugged? I have noticed that my remote key for lock and unlock is now not working and I have to use the key in the door tumbler to unlock it. Would the interior lock and unlock button still work?

Quick Reply: Battery Draining When Car is Off 2009 Q7 3.6 Sport