Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Audi Q7 transmission problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2015, 02:03 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixed!!

Hi just wanted to let people know after changing the oil filter and gasket and there being no luck I eventually changed the valve body, it is now completely fixed with no jerk when downshifting or any vibration. Thanks for all the help
The following users liked this post:
DownunderQ7 (01-16-2022)
Old 09-21-2015, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New user from TX, US with a similar problem

Hello, I have a 07 4.2 with 82K miles on it. Lately I have been experiencing very harsh shifts at high speeds on the highway (so I am assuming between the 5th and 6th gears) during hard acceleration. Also very rarely when I just press hard on the accelerator. Weight is not an issue here. This happens with even with just 1 person in the vehicle.

I am wondering if anyone has recommendations as to what I need to do? Took the vehicle to a repair shop, and I have been quoted 10K for a brand new transmission, or about 8k for an old one.

WVUrS6, has changing the Valve body fixed your issue?

Originally Posted by WVUrS6
Good catch Smith, and yes a call to the vendor would definitely be recommended before purchasing. Your comment made me double check the VB unit I linked, they offer a VB with pressure switches but only for MY 2003-2005 . Looks identical to the earlier one I referenced, again I would call before buying. 09D TR60SN OEM Updated Valve Body 2003-2004 W\ Pressure Switches

Good to know the fluid drain/filter did not work, I will probably forego that step now once I get around to addressing this problem.

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2015, 05:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

WVUrS6 did replace his valve body and it did fix his problem.
Old 09-22-2015, 06:47 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thank you! I will give it a shot
Old 07-22-2021, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default "Lifetime fluid"

Originally Posted by VAG-Fan1
I fully realize that ECS and others are merely marketing a collection of genuine OEM parts to provide a DIY'er or indie shop a convenient "kit" to buy and that M-B doesn't sanction or P/N a "kit". I'm merely asking why these genuine OEM parts are available in any sales channel at all (aftermarket retailer kit or individual parts at the dealer) if according to the mfr there are no user/dealer serviceable components in the transmission and you just have to replace the whole tranny at 100k due to the "lifetime" fluid being exhausted.
Unfortunately "lifetime fluid" only means the lifetime of the transmission which could be anything. Could be 6 miles it's insane. It's very vague and it does a good job at protecting Audi and generating some profit at the same time.
Old 04-27-2022, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by Arbaaz
Hi just wanted to let people know after changing the oil filter and gasket and there being no luck I eventually changed the valve body, it is now completely fixed with no jerk when downshifting or any vibration. Thanks for all the help
So was this the body valve and how much did it cost as I have the same problem only when cold and once turned off and back on again works fine until 4th gear and sticks

I did all service
Old 12-27-2022, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi
I see your VIN was for Australian Q7. If you are in Melbourne who did you get your gearbox finally fixed some years back?

Old 12-31-2023, 02:58 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Audi q7 2007 3.0 TDI Transmission problem

Hello everyone,

I have audi q7 from tittle above one year. Problem and the Onley problem that i have is that when i put in D gear my RPM are the same but car pushes forward to much and whole holding brake i cant hold him in steady position. When i drive car everything's sims fine, but when i starting to go slow and gear goes in first gear until i totally stops at reed light car start to shakes and wants to go forward to hard. If i put it in D from N car little bit shakes and stops to pull. If i repeat but contrary from N to D (there is no kicking or something like that during shifting)car again start's to shake and pulling like crazy ,and when i release brake pedal car instantly starts forward quickly ..

Can someone help me to solve this issue ?

Help in advance
Old 01-02-2024, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 724 Likes on 599 Posts
Default Scan the Car For Trouble Codes

Originally Posted by moderateblade
Hello everyone,

Can someone help me to solve this issue ?

Help in advance
Always begin by scanning the entire car for internal trouble codes; you need a VAGCOM capable scan tool to read these internal codes...specific to the VW-made umbrella of car makes/models, of which Audi, VW, Porsche...you get the drift, all require to diagnose/troubleshoot faults on them.

It's not uncommon for the the Q7/Touareg/Cayenne to develop servotronic actuator issues in the transmission over the long haul, especially with Audi saying the transmission is sealed and does not require servicing the trans fluid (or diffs, or xfer case, etc., etc.)...yup, that's what service manual says. Didn't mention your mileage on the car, but it's likely quite high being an '07, so it would not be a shocker if turns out it just needs some new parts (DIY serviceable parts) to replace the old ones in a transmission that has likely never been serviced, ever.

You start with the low-hanging-fruit always; scan the car fully via a VAGCOM capable scan tool to see what shows up; there will be codes in there. Just watched a video on the 8spd tranny (FCP Euro video), and I'm sure there's some good videos on the 6spd tranny you've got in yours too. It's not very expensive if you DIY repair those actuators/screen/check valve *****, etc., if that's what it needs. Be aware that continuing to drive it as-is with this problem is likely to create more issues within the transmission that are not 'serviceable' as a DIY project. Go scan the car and watch some videos.
Old 01-04-2024, 03:42 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 253 Likes on 216 Posts

Agreed on all of that! Sounds a lot like the torque converter is not slipping properly to allow for smooth transition to a stop, but start with scanning and then move to a full fluid service. You didn't state the miles, but if it is a 2008 unit, that still some old fluid if it is original!