Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Anybody with banging transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody with banging transmission?

We've got an 07 4.2 that's just touching 40k. For awhile now we've been experiencing an issue where if the car is loaded, or going up hill, if you really stomp it to pass it'll downshift to 4th and then as it revs up and goes to shift to 5th the whole car will buck and there will be some really loud bangs from the transmission.

It won't stop until you lift off the gas (your first instinct anyway since the bucking is extremely violent) and then it'll shift up.

We're working with the dealer, and they've indicated there's a TSB for 'rough shifts' that they've performed and that now they're replacing a 'throttle body' in the transmission? I don't know enough about transmissions to know if the TCU has throttle bodies to control the transmission fluid.

Anybody experience anything similar?
Old 10-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default I recently had this experience as well...trying to pass while uphill...

I thought that the gear downshifted rapidly and then there was a violent shudder. I brought it to the dealership and they said that they could not reproduce it. I have not had the chance to bring the Q up to the mountains again so have not had it repeat on me...knock on wood. I'll be interested to know the exact TSB they cite as well as your outcome. Good luck and please keep us posted.
Old 10-26-2010, 11:59 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Turns out it was a 'throttle valve body' in the transmission. Unfortunately didn't get a chance to talk to the tech that worked on it because my wife picked it up and I'm just going by what the SA said and the notes on the work order. SA indicated it was the escalation step in a TSB for customers complaining about hard shifts.

Replacement necessitated, obviously, draining and re-filling the transmission fluid and I'll be asking next time I'm in if the tech that worked on the car (we seem to always get the same tech on our car) remembers the repair. My two concerns are, 1) this is fairly common if it's already in a TSB 2) what the transmission fluid looked like (doubt he'll remember). My cynical side says 'lifetime fill' equals lifetime of lease payments, pay out for a new transmission if you own it.

On a related note, the SA off-handedly mentioned another Q7 was in for a completely new transmission at 60K. They also indicated there was some out of pocket but Audi was making an effort to make it right (don't want to repeat since obviously everybody's dealing with AudiNA for out of warranty issues is going to be on a per-case basis). I was reasonably impressed with what they were doing.

But again, cynical side of me things that transmission problems on the Q are higher than average.

BTW, transmission is butter smooth after replacement; we're amazed at how badly shifts had degraded.
Old 05-20-2013, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Resurrecting this tread

Hi, I am having the same banging shifting described in this thread. Started around 45-50K miles, dealer couldn't "replicate" and unfortunately I am now off CPO warranty.

Do you have any more info about this? TSB #? How much was the damage?

I do not have confidence in my "local" dealer anymore with this car, not entirely related to the above but a history of poor customer relations. I have searched the webz for the TSB with no luck.

The shifting is violent, and is exactly as described with the release of the accelerator. Sounds like I need a new valve body.

Last edited by WVUrS6; 05-20-2013 at 09:32 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

This is quite common in Touareg land.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f7...ans-64189.html
Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the post, definitely helps.. Probably will end up doing this on my own now.... appreciate it.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Your a brave Man!!

Good Luck!
Old 08-09-2016, 10:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I realize this is an old thread, but found it in my search for help with my 2007 Q7 transmission issue. I too am experiencing harsh/violet shifts from time to time (not so much if I'm extremely gentle on and off the gas pedal, but that's not always possible).
I brought it to my independent shop who suspect the valve body and are scheduled to replace it next week. I never brought it to my Audi dealer (it was a CPO car, who's warranty is now expired for a few years).
However, if there is a TSB for this, have I any chance of them taking care of me and covering the cost? Any recommendations greatly appreciated

Paul