Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

Any repeat Q7 buyers? We're not getting another one...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Any repeat Q7 buyers? We're not getting another one...

My wife is primary driver and she is tired of it. Too Big is her main complaint. I drive a 2010 S4 and she came from An A6. She is also tired of the suspension being too stiff. Little bumps jarrs the back easily (ever tried eating in the back while on the road? Tough) We have the 21" sline so probably different from most other Q7's (wouldn't get one without, looks are important too) Great sporty susupension, just very stiff. I drive it and is does feel just slightly underpowered compared to the A6 or S4 but way better than any other car of its size or even smaller. We're just spoiled with other audi vehicles. We're likely to Get a Q5. smaller quicker, nimbler.
Old 04-26-2011, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Not sure if you would be happy with a Q5 replacing your Q7. I had a Q5 loaner (twice) when I had my Q7 in for routine service, and I must say the Q5 is nothing like the Q7. It is night and day between the two vehicles. Not to say there is anything wrong with the Q5, but I could not wait to get back in my Q7. I do have air suspension which makes a big difference on the comfort scale.
Old 04-26-2011, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Funny. We have had a Q5 loaner twice. I LOVE it in comparison to the Q7. So much more nimble and with the 3.2 V6, it is very quick too. My wife(who drives the Q7) did not like the Q5 and said it was too small.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:02 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

do you have air suspension?
Old 04-26-2011, 11:08 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Q5 was too small for us; our response was why not just have a sedan at this point instead of a CUV? ... our Q7 is the family long distance hauler though, so we want room.

Sadly, our Q replacement probably won't be another Audi if they discontinue the Q7. Probably look at the GL or possibly other seven seater hybrids. We're also getting to the point in life where we'd rather drive cheaper cars since CTO is getting so high.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:25 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by obLu
Q5 was too small for us; our response was why not just have a sedan at this point instead of a CUV? ... our Q7 is the family long distance hauler though, so we want room.

Sadly, our Q replacement probably won't be another Audi if they discontinue the Q7. Probably look at the GL or possibly other seven seater hybrids. We're also getting to the point in life where we'd rather drive cheaper cars since CTO is getting so high.
There are tons of threads about the next gen Q7 on the way. Since Porsche and VW already have their new versions I can't believe Audi would drop their hot selling version of the platform.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:38 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sold our 2007 Q7 and was planning on buying a Q5. Cannot find a 3.2 in the San Francisco Bayarea.

Wife likes the Avant or maybe a Mercedes.
Old 04-26-2011, 03:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes... and if you think the Q7 is stiff do not look at the Cayenne. It's like a rock compared to the Q7 (I have both).
Old 04-26-2011, 06:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

CHANGE YOUR TIRES.... period.

If you put 20s on that it will really soften-up (I did this) and it will still look great.

You really can't compare an S4 to a Q7... seriously don't do that to yourself. Just think power-to-weigh ratios. The only thing that could make your Q7 better would be the bigger diesel engine (that you can't get in the US).

I also did not love the Q5 compared to the Q7... it was small... smaller than my Allroad even... my A4 can hold more cargo and keep the rear seats. BUT, if you don't need the 3rd row or the extra storage, you might really like the Q5.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts

I agree.. try some 20's.. might change your opinion. running ultra low profile tires on a 6000 SUV will never yield a great ride. I imagine a Q7 running around on 17 or 18" rims smooth as butter without the jarring over the bumps.. but in the US we are silly and just can't have our cars without the cool looking low profile rims (I am just a guilty.)

We looked long and hard at the Q5.. but it's so.. well... blah compared to the Q7. It's basically an A4 that jacked up a bit.. and that's about it. Same interior as the A4, same drivetrain, same options.. same everything. Except.. the darn engine choices. If i could have ordered a Q5 2.0T Prestege S-Line then we would have likely gone that route (my wife liked it and it was less expensive than the Q7).. but Audi of America forces you to go with the lame 3.2 motor to get the prestige/SLine. I just won't own an Audi with that 3.2.. the 2.0t is better in every way possible and is a lot more fun to drive. I was also disapointed that Audi didn't offer the 2.0TDI or the 3.0TDI motors in the Q5.. lame.

In the end the Q7 was perfect.. lots of room, TDI motor, tons of technology and luxury all packaged together. Oh... and while in the Seatle area Q7's seem to be at every intersection.. the Q5 is now as common as silver BMw 3 series.. there are EVERYWHERE. It's kind of funny.. Audi's original ad about the Q5 vs. the RX has kind of turned around on them... the Q5 seems to be the common small suv these days. And that is awesome for Audi.. I think the Q5 is perfect for those who want an A4 but in an SUV.. it is clearly a huge success for them.

Quick Reply: Any repeat Q7 buyers? We're not getting another one...