Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2015 Q7 ball hitch receiver from Curt dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2024, 08:38 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 Q7 ball hitch receiver from Curt dimensions

I am going to tow a travel trailer single axle 4500 pound and wondered if the average Frame among the single axle of American trailers was about the same as far as using a 2 inch drop with a 2 inch ball rated at 6000 pounds
Old 03-17-2024, 08:20 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 721 Likes on 597 Posts

Originally Posted by Opab
I am going to tow a travel trailer single axle 4500 pound and wondered if the average Frame among the single axle of American trailers was about the same as far as using a 2 inch drop with a 2 inch ball rated at 6000 pounds
It really depends on the trailer you are pulling, since the goal is to keep the trailer level and the tongue weight in-check, and below what the hitch receiver is rated for, etc. It's not really a one size fits all type purchase, unless you buy an adjustable height ball carrier.

When I pulled a U-haul 12ft trailer (double axle), the tongue was initially at a downwards angle due to the hitch ball I bought (Curt 2" drop) was too low for that trailer to allow it to ride on an even keel. I ended up having to flip the ball over/reverse the ball carrier in order to sort out the trailer ride height while was at the U-haul rental location, etc. Point being don't make assumptions; measure the trailer you are going to tow with it sitting level, and then account for if you have steel susp (which will sag a bit depending on tongue weight and your vehicle loading, etc.), or air suspension, which has load-leveling built in, so rear suspension sag is not an issue when loaded down or towing, etc. Buy the correct ball carrier based on the trailer you will tow, or spend more to get an adjustable-height ball carrier, which will work for most any trailer you might tow, etc. Some of those adjustable-height types also have built-in tongue weight scales/indicators to help you avoid overloading your hitch receiver's capacity rating.
Old 03-18-2024, 04:00 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 251 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Opab

Found this—
“On average, you can expect a trailer hitch height of about 16-19 inches from the ground to the bottom of the coupler. The vast majority of hitch manufacturers sell their products with a ball mount that ends up in this range.”
Old 03-18-2024, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Just an FYI, Whatever hitch you go with, You should get a factory wire harness and module. I know they have kits you can use with Curt or whomever but they won't work with your stability control or lane assist. You'll also be detecting a car following to close with the rear sensors. I bought a factory hitch, wire harness and module from a wrecker for 500 CAD out the door price all in. They wanted 800 and I just said NO, I'd buy it in the USA. I then put five 100.00 bills on the counter and said this is my budget take it or not. They said No so I said have a nice day. I got in my car and as I started backing out, The guy comes out and said OK.. I kinda knew they had no demand for hitches so they will take what they can get. Just an FYI. Took me 90 minutes to install. Get new bolts as they are hitch specific. Non hitch cars have short bolts.

Last edited by Edzzed; 03-18-2024 at 09:44 AM.