Q7 MK 1 Discussion Discussion forum for the Audi Q7 SUV built from 2005 to 2015

2013 Q7 TDI won't start in cold - help a rookie

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2014, 05:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Spoke to my Audi service coordinator. Audi released a Service bulletin (some long number I couldn't write while I was driving) saying something to the effect that they are aware of the issue. Get car to dealership for a replacement Fuel Filter and to have water removed from lines? Wax is being built up in extreme cold conditions from fuel. Don't use additives. They want a fuel sample upon service.
Old 01-25-2014, 02:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeeepguy
Spoke to my Audi service coordinator. Audi released a Service bulletin (some long number I couldn't write while I was driving) saying something to the effect that they are aware of the issue. Get car to dealership for a replacement Fuel Filter and to have water removed from lines? Wax is being built up in extreme cold conditions from fuel. Don't use additives. They want a fuel sample upon service.
So this is corrective action. For prevent, I suppose they say don't expose the vehicle to harsh conditions?

Is diesel fuel actually that pure of a consistency coming from the pump? I don't understand the resistance to an additive as opposed to the other more invasive remedies.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:19 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Who gives a rat's hinder side about what Audi says! When I use the Power Service additive at 8 oz/25 gallons of diesel, the engine runs better, gets better fuel mileage and starts/runs just fine at 8°F. That's all I need to know!

I'm really fed up with Audi's attitude towards and lack of support for their customers, enough so that my 2010 Q7 3.0 TDI is for sale.

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 01-25-2014 at 04:23 AM.
Old 01-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default too cold

I had this happen last winter too, -10F. same indications, 1k rpm = shutdown, then low battery, then CEL. turns out the ad blue froze and the engine would not start until battery was >11 VDC and ad blue would flow. Audi dealer in SLC provided no resolution. No tank/line heater/ recirculation solutions were available.

Should anyone determine a solution other than additives to the diesel I would like to listen.
Old 01-26-2014, 02:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Isologous
I am having the same problem (in Illinois) with a 2014 Q5 TDI. The vehicle is going into the dealer today for the fourth time.

A couple things I have learned from Audi - (1) they know about the cold start problem; (2) in Illinois Audi thinks that is has to do with biodiesel blended fuel (which B11 is standard) but they keep swapping out the urea injectors (the car shutting down seems to show a error code associated with the urea system) and fuel filter;
Here are a few articles that might be of interest regarding the biodiesel blends. Yes, it's Mercedes information, but the common rail diesel technology is very similar from marque to marque.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
biodiesel_Brochure5.pdf (829.0 KB, 173 views)
IllinoisBiodiesel.pdf (3.18 MB, 169 views)
Mercedes_Biodiesel_Article.pdf (206.4 KB, 151 views)

Last edited by DUTCH VanAtlanta; 01-26-2014 at 02:49 AM.
Old 01-31-2014, 08:34 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I found a Diesel Driver article that clearly lays our the B20 issues.

Add to this, I received a letter from Audi that included the following line:
"Biodiesel blends (up to B20) may be used in your Illinois-registered TDI Clean Diesel vehicle; however please be aware that biodiesel has characteristics that are different from other kinds of fuel, especially petroleum-based fuels."
Now and after Audi has changed the addblue injectors twice, changed the crankshaft sensor, and some other repairs that I do not remember, Audi has traded the vehicle for a new one (still TDI). The technicians still do not know if they fixed the problem or what was wrong with the original vehicle.
Old 02-10-2014, 05:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good thread - thanks for all the info. I haven't had any starting issues yet here in Colorado and we've been down in the 0 to -10 range at night. I've been using the diesel additive just in case. Interesting oversight on Audi's part regarding the freezing of AdBlue.... It's funny to me now, but if I ever get stuck because of it I'll be pissed.
Old 02-10-2014, 08:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Adblue freezing is a weird thing. I work in public transit servicing buses and all the buses we have equipped with DEF come with an engine coding allowing the engine to run "dirty" for 60 minutes (without DEF being injected because its frozen) all our DEF tanks are equipped with a heating coil allowing the DEF to thaw. I dont see how Audi would´nt have taught of that.
Old 02-14-2016, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default First Day with my 2013

I bought a 13 TDI yesterday. 45k mile Premium Plus for 37k.
Really loved it for the 2 hours I used it.
I'm in NH where the temps went about -15 F last evening. -13 this morning and car would not start. T
ried again now that it is 4 F and still won't start. I don't really have a garage to push it into so I suppose my only options are

1- Call dealership and demand it is towed the two hours home
2- Pay AAA for the towing
3- Wait until tuesday when it will be 40F

I suppose going forward I will use the additive. Really pissed. Let me know if there is a way to expedite the thaw.

Kieran

Originally Posted by MiQ7TDI
Diesel must have gelled. Car was in a safe place (outside). I left it until today. Waited until it warmed up to about 20F. Started right up.

I guess I learned my lesson about using an additive.
Old 02-14-2016, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by kierantaylor
I bought a 13 TDI yesterday. 45k mile Premium Plus for 37k.
Really loved it for the 2 hours I used it.
I'm in NH where the temps went about -15 F last evening. -13 this morning and car would not start. T
ried again now that it is 4 F and still won't start. I don't really have a garage to push it into so I suppose my only options are

1- Call dealership and demand it is towed the two hours home
2- Pay AAA for the towing
3- Wait until tuesday when it will be 40F

I suppose going forward I will use the additive. Really pissed. Let me know if there is a way to expedite the thaw.

Kieran
Since you bought it yesterday, call dealer and let them know it's not starting and you need a tow. Play dumb, say you don't know why it's not starting. They will cover it, Let them take care of it. My V8 gas Q7 has had trouble starting in this weather the northeast has had. I can't imagine owning a diesel. Good luck.

Quick Reply: 2013 Q7 TDI won't start in cold - help a rookie